Official - I Received the ICS OTA Update!! Thread

caughtus

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
It's still updating all my apps, but so far the only thing I've noticed is the camera app doesn't work. Keeps crashing. Going to wait for everything to finish updating and restart it. Hopefully that helps.

Po1nt-Tak3n

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
...So far so good, all my widgets, live wallpaper, icons, etc are in order...

I spoke too soon.... It changed my launcher icons, and removed all of the folders in my app drawer, and just laid out all of the icons. this is an outrage, i'm so angry, blah blah blah.. /sarcasm

Very happy they added the ability to check off multiple e-mails to mark as read, now I can efficiently ignore work e-mails ;)

djneph

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I just did everything, and it didn't work. I renamed it, put on my sd card did the stock recovery and...

android with an exclamation came out, waited, and then the box with the arrow appeared, status bar gets half way and then the android with the exclamation returns.

Any ideas? should I re-download the file and try again?

Tsukiyomi

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Just did this (my very first attempt at doing anything like this with a phone I only got in Feb, my first Smartphone). Didn't work at first until I moved the update.zip file to my external HD. All seems to be working well now though - touch wood :)

syphex

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
If we use this manual update.zip to the SD card, will be able to recieve future OTAs?

Yes you will still be able to get future OTA as this is no different then waiting for the update to hit your phone. This is an untouched update.

Just to be sure, if I manually update, will everything on the phone stay? I'm assuming it will because this is just an update but I want to be sure!

Yes this should retain all of your current data.

Reactions: jboy099 and JayWill

colalounge

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I literally want to throw this phone out the window and I loved it before, just got it in March.
After the update, the Contacts area is a mess. Photos are huge and distorted, with the tops of people's heads missing. From Contacts, I used to be able to click on Activity and see their Facebook updates without having to go directly to Facebook or open the app. I could click History and see phone calls/texts I exchanged with the person.

The native power saving app used to be a thin bar but now it is huge and cannot be resized.

Stock ICS is ugly as hell and you cannot choose your number of screens and it doesn't keep scrolling. Once you get to the last screen you gotta hit the home button to get back.

Many ICS features I don't see. On the lock screen I see no way to go straight to camera, text or anything else.

My lock screen weather app is showing AccuWeather .com even though I have mine set to Google Weather. That AccuWeather logo under the weather annoys me, which is why I chose Google, which has no logo.

"Swipe screen to unlock" on the lockscreen is annoying. I mean duh, we know this already.

Distorted font on screen- looks cheap and pixelated.

I could go on and on.

Crappy contact area pic: Shawna Jeneen (ShawnaJeneen) : ICS Awful Contact Area

VaccPalm

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Anyone test the GPS. Did this update happen to help at all. Im in the proccess of dumping mine for a better phone due to the bad GPS and weak bluetooth.

colalounge

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah, when I try to do several things now, like open camera or view gallery, I get this message: Media scanner running.

Like I said, I expect Sprint to be sending out updates to fix this mess for a while. At least I hope they do.

Tsukiyomi

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I literally want to throw this phone out the window and I loved it before, just got it in March.
After the update, the Contacts area is a mess. Photos are huge and distorted, with the tops of people's heads missing. From Contacts, I used to be able to click on Activity and see their Facebook updates without having to go directly to Facebook or open the app. I could click History and see phone calls/texts I exchanged with the person.

The native power saving app used to be a thin bar but now it is huge and cannot be resized.

Stock ICS is ugly as hell and you cannot choose your number of screens and it doesn't keep scrolling. Once you get to the last screen you gotta hit the home button to get back.

Many ICS features I don't see. On the lock screen I see no way to go straight to camera, text or anything else.

My lock screen weather app is showing AccuWeather .com even though I have mine set to Google Weather. That AccuWeather logo under the weather annoys me, which is why I chose Google, which has no logo.

"Swipe screen to unlock" on the lockscreen is annoying. I mean duh, we know this already.

Distorted font on screen- looks cheap and pixelated.

I could go on and on.

Crappy contact area pic: Shawna Jeneen (ShawnaJeneen) : ICS Awful Contact Area

I'm starting to play around with mine and agree with most of those points (the ones that apply to me anyway)

- Contacts look terrible now.
- "Swipe screen to unlock" D'uh. Any way to remove that?
- Home screen does scroll continously for me and I can still add screens.
- Every single app that was (is?) installed on my external SD is now greyed out. When I click on their icons I get a message saying it's not installed on my phone.

colalounge

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
And did you notice that Google+ is now installed and can't be uninstalled like some of the other apps? I also read that Facebook integration with Contacts was removed- I guess in favor of Google+ that nobody uses.

Utah_Utes_Man

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Manually update, a second Reboot fixed the apps installed on sd card issue, Gps initial fix too 8sec and subsequent fix less than 1sec! I love vibration intensity settings and ics style app switching!

Sent from my SPH-D710

fcjr77

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Can you download the file directly from the phone or does it have to be done through a computer? I am at work and not able to download it to my pc but would love to get ICS now. :D

ElectroWiz

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Got my update but keypad program swipe is not working. Everything else seems to be fine so far.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

caughtus

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I never tried any of the ICS roms, so all I've seen in the past were other carriers versions. Does ours have all the bells and whistles the others have? Where's:
"Home screen folders and favorites tray"
"Refined, evolved UI"
"Back, Home, and Recent Apps"
"Unified calendar, visual voicemail"
"Rich and versatile camera capabilities"
"Redesigned Gallery app with photo editor"

Tsukiyomi

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
And did you notice that Google+ is now installed and can't be uninstalled like some of the other apps? I also read that Facebook integration with Contacts was removed- I guess in favor of Google+ that nobody uses.

I hadn't noticed Google+ but have now you mentioned it. What's annoying about that is that I use a separate GMail account for Google+ but it keeps trying to default me to the account I use for my phone.

Swype's gone (or at least not working) and I'm getting the occasional crash that blacks out the lower half of my screen.
Screen capture no longer seems to be working

I've been really excited about this and waiting with baited breath but either this manual install is missing something or Sprint have pushed out a buggy build.

wraith404

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Can you download the file directly from the phone or does it have to be done through a computer? I am at work and not able to download it to my pc but would love to get ICS now. :D

Yes, as long as you have a file manager app and know how to use it.

Got my update but keypad program swipe is not working. Everything else seems to be fine so far.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Restart, if it persists clear data on the swype app. This goes for any other app you might have issues with.

Reactions: fcjr77