Please recommend a few ICS compatible apps

Tony Android

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch for about a month. Running latest ICS version FH13, not rooted. I will root after the warranty is up, but for now I don't want to take a chance on bricking a new $435 phone.

This is my first smartphone, so I have no experience with third party Android apps. I have only one third party app installed so far, and that is Kindle for Android.

I hate ads and spyware, so when available, paid apps look like the best choice for me. However I don't want any apps with monthly rental (such as Lookout Security & Antivirus Premium), I want a one time purchase payment only.

I've spent a lot of time browsing Google Play and reading reviews, and it seems that ICS broke quite a few apps. So I am looking for apps that are known to run well on ICS. Also important to me, is that the apps be from respected developers, who won't pillage my address book and spam all my contacts. Some of the permissions granted, even for popular apps, seems rather excessive.

Lost / stolen phone app:
Where's My Droid, or Android Lost, or something else?

Back up (I'm not rooted so no Titanium Backup) :
My Back Up Pro, or AppMonster Pro Backup Restore, or something else?

Flashlight:
TeslaLED Flashlight, or Tiny Flashlight + LED, or something else?
There are almost too many to choose from, I want one that preferably has low / high, works on my device, and has reasonable permissions. A pay version is fine.

Barcode scanner:
Same problem as flashlight ? too many to choose from. I want one that works, isn't buggy, and respects my privacy. A pay version would be fine.

Uglyfido

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
These are my suggestions. For Lost/stolen phone app, I use Where's my Droid?. Just install it set it up, and forget about it until you need it. For backup, I use sms backup and restore for my texts, and google play for my apps and music. I just start my games over. For a flashlight, I use tiny flashlight + LED, and for a barcode scanner/QR reader, I use scanlife. There are tons of options out there. Have fun finding which ones you like!

Reactions: Tony Android

packhntr

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I use tiny flashlight.....and for a battery widget, there is a good one by the geeky group. For a battery saver, I use battery defender and it has increased my battery life by over 20% (thats the average....it can be 0ver 50% but it depends on my usage). Hosestly, it's a mattery of preference...try the free ones, uninstall the nes that you don't like. I have yet to find a music player that I really like, but I am presently using music player (think it is stock). And I love color note...awesome for taking quick notes.

cqpearson

May 30, 2012
Visit site
For flashlight I use brightest flashlight. Backup pro for backups. You didn't ask but I use SwiftKey 3 for my keyboard along with Google Voice just can't beat that combination. It's very accurate in terms of dictation. Actually using it now to send you this note!

I am the Galaxy and I approve this message
Sent from my SPH-D710

Tony Android

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
along with Google Voice just can't beat that combination. It's very accurate in terms of dictation. Actually using it now to send you this note!

Sent from my SPH-D710

I tried the voice search once, and it felt weird to talk to my phone. I guess my age is showing on this one.

Tony Android

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
There are tons of options out there. Have fun finding which ones you like!

Thanks for the suggestions. As for trying lots of them more or less randomly, that is what I want to avoid. Both for time wasted, and the risk of making my device unstable or intrusive adware infested.

burrrton

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Um, virtually *all* Android apps are "ICS compatible". If you want recs for good apps, fine, but this isn't MacOS vs XP vs Win7.

Tony Android

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Um, virtually *all* Android apps are "ICS compatible". If you want recs for good apps, fine, but this isn't MacOS vs XP vs Win7.

In Google Play app user reviews, I see a few ?ICS broke the app? type of posts. Also, quite a few updated or ?fixed for ICS? from the developers in the ?whats new? tab.

And thank goodness this isn't Apple or Microsoft. I've been running Linux for 9 years on my PCs, no way I'd want to go back to Microsoft or enter Apple's walled garden.

Tony Android

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Here are the ones I installed, thanks again for the many good suggestions.

Back up:
My Backup Pro

Lost phone:
Where's My Droid (paid version)

Flashlight:
TeslaLEDflashlight

Barcode scanner:
Red Laser
and
Barcode Scanner
I'm not fully happy with either of the above. They both scan perfectly and accurately pull up the item, but both return pitifully few local prices.