Swype Keyboard not adding words to custom dictionary

qz0xr3

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
seems like since the Jellybean update, I haven't been able to add words to the Swype custom dictionary. This is the stock Swype app, not one purchased from Google Play. Anyone else having this issue.

BobBiz

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Menu Button>Settings>Application Manager> .... Scroll over to the "All" Tab> Find "Swype" and tap on it>Click the Disable> Click the Enable> Clear Data>Clear Cache

This should fix it. :)

Last edited:

RamboJunior

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have an S4 and and struggling the same thing, I can't add any new word to dictionary, I've checked under application manager/ all tab, I can't find "swype", so I can't clear the cache.
If I'm using the QWERTY type keyboard, it works, but when I use the "3x4 keyboard" in this case I'm experiencing the error.

Do you know what I need to delete?

Thanks and regards,
R Jr.

Covgazam

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much. This works.

HOWEVER, After every few weeks, it turns off the setting again. So I have to go back and do this over and over and over and over again. This is frustrating. Because it also clears all words added to dictionary. Every time I have to start form scratch !

I sometimes use many many words which are not English language words (type my native language with English characters). Could this be causing this issue? IS there anywhere we can give feed back to SWYPE ?

My SWYPE version is 1.3.6.10405.

Please help.

Cor10mier

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
we can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they occurred.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Covgazam

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for confusion. :(

This is the default Samsung Galaxy S2 SWYPE input type. Initially after the jelly bean update, it stopped adding the words to custom dictionary (also stopped giving me the option to add to the custom dictionary). Then I came to this post few months back and got it fixed. :)

Later (it seems) whenever I type plenty of words which are not in normal dictionary e.g. "hu to atyare bahu j excellent chhi pan tu kem chhe tya health check up in hospital ane pachhi let me know". Then all of a sudden, the dictionary, goes back to the basic problem. I.e. stops adding word to custom dictionary, using words from custom dictionary, stops giving option to add new words to custom dictionary.

Initially few times I thought this might have been caused by some update. But this kept happening quite frequently. I disabled auto update on all downloaded apps, and still this was happening.

So I am back here with my problem. :'(

Keremia Tairua

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung galaxy s 2 sky rocket. To add words as you in to your dictionary, while typing a message for example, long press on keyboard settings, click on predictive itself, not the predictive switch, scroll down on predictive options screen to my text or my words or my dictionary, I forget the right word, press the + symbol and type in your word. Press the done button and back arrow to your message. Continue. The word has been added to your dictionary.

Posted via Android Central App

bag-o-droid

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I can't say whether there was a Swype update, but since I upgraded to Jelly Bean, Swype no longer stores anything in the custom dictionary. Very frustrating as every name I have to spell out and there is no offer to add it to the dictionary. On ICS, all my address book names were in the custom dictionary, now nothing.

I have tried disabling, enabling and clearing the data and cache, but no difference.
I have tried editing the "predictive" setting for the samsung keyboard but no difference.

Using the pre-installed Swype ver. 1.3.6.10405 on Galaxy S2 GT-i9100

DubSanchez

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I went ahead and downloaded the free version of Swype. It's been 2 months and the dictionary has not been a problem.

It's vastly superior to that of the stock Swype version.

mzubairahmed

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a million. It worked. But one question. Do we have to fix this issue every-time our swipe keyboard starts to malfunction and don't provide with the suggestions with our writing styles?

Dogman37

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I was having the same problem since upgrade to jellybean.
To fix just hit settings button next to space bar, hit predictive text (not the on/off button). Then, after you make sure personalised data is ticked, scroll down and select 'learn from.... (facebook, messages, contacts etc)'.
That should do it!

zabin begum

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
It worked for some time and then it doesn't. I mean when u add a new word the next moment you swype it remembers. But when you go out of the window and come back, it forgets. That is really bad. I tried using Samsung keyboard and Google keyboard as well, but no luck. I am hating it. :mad:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana