[GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

Davedwin

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I've been trying to do this for several days (an hour each day), and finally had some REAL time to spend tonight. Everything worked except the part after running Odin. I don't know if it's because of the latest Sprint update in the past couple of weeks, but what I found to work was steps were steps 13-16 of the below link to get into recovery mode. Thought since this was such a great how-to [yours that is] I would share it.

How to Root U.S. and Canada Galaxy S3 SGH-T999/SGH-I747/SPH-L710! [Fail-Proof][Noob-Proof][U.S. Cellular] | Galaxy S3 Root

Basically boils down to pushing vol. up instead of down to get into recovery mode. Now I just have to decide what custom ROM I want to test first. ;-)

Thanks Skunkape for a great tutorial, and for maintaining it even after almost a year from the original post!
-Davedwin

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I've been trying to do this for several days (an hour each day), and finally had some REAL time to spend tonight. Everything worked except the part after running Odin. I don't know if it's because of the latest Sprint update in the past couple of weeks, but what I found to work was steps were steps 13-16 of the below link to get into recovery mode. Thought since this was such a great how-to [yours that is] I would share it.

How to Root U.S. and Canada Galaxy S3 SGH-T999/SGH-I747/SPH-L710! [Fail-Proof][Noob-Proof][U.S. Cellular] | Galaxy S3 Root

Basically boils down to pushing vol. up instead of down to get into recovery mode. Now I just have to decide what custom ROM I want to test first. ;-)

Thanks Skunkape for a great tutorial, and for maintaining it even after almost a year from the original post!
-Davedwin

I could swear my guide says to push volume up for recovery. Doh... it does! It even says to practice it a few times....

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
-Davedwin

Hmm, Skunk's guide says "Recovery mode is achieved pressing and holding "volume UP, power button and the (physical) home button simultaneously. Watching the screen closely, release all 3 buttons as soon as you see the word Samsung. If timed correctly it will boot into recovery in about 10-20 seconds (after releasing). Remember if you are too early or late the phone will boot normally and skip recovery."

Edit: I see Skunkape beat me to it.

billard412

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Whatsup skunkape,I threw these together and figured it would help kill the steps of unchecking autoreboot, removing battery and having to do finger gymnastics to get into recovery. You can take it or leave it just figured i wouldn't keep them all to myself if they could help.
AUTOBOOT RECOVERY ONE-CLICKS-
TWRP--CWM-&-CWM-TOUCH

*EDIT- Also If you want to use them, I understand if you dont want to mess up the flow of your odin instructions or use my OC's (didnt have time to redo it without all the "branding") so i got the original .tars if needed

Last edited:

billard412

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
**One more thing(I swear i wont take up any more space) but if anyone familiar with heimdall and has java installed could give this a shot let me know if it works. heimdall One-Click autoboot twrp
Its exactly whats posted above but will work on windows mac and linux all u need is java installed.
I cant seem to find a solid answer on whether or not heimdall still works on the us SIII, i swear it did but i have no s3 to test on right now.

cradle667

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
It's been awhile since I've had to ask a question, but the time has come again. I was wondering, if I'm rooted already and I decide to change to another SD card, will I need to un-root and then root again with the new SD card? I put all of the files for rooting at the root of the current SD card that I'm using.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
It's been awhile since I've had to ask a question, but the time has come again. I was wondering, if I'm rooted already and I decide to change to another SD card, will I need to un-root and then root again with the new SD card? I put all of the files for rooting at the root of the current SD card that I'm using.

There is no problem with changing your sdcard. If you want you can even delete those rooting files off the sdcard. you don't really need them.

ty1690

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Galaxy S3

I keep running into this stupid PIT mapping problem and I cannot find any answers on this other than trying to download the pit file again... I have been trying to root my sph-l710 for a while now and I have already factory reset it... please help

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

I keep running into this stupid PIT mapping problem and I cannot find any answers on this other than trying to download the pit file again... I have been trying to root my sph-l710 for a while now and I have already factory reset it... please help

Several people have had that problem. most have had to use a different usb cord and computer to get it to work.

Common issues are:

Improperly installed drivers
Usb cord
Usb port
Computer issues
Bad download
recovery.tar.md5 should be in the pda block.

gossamer#AC

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

Hi all,

I have an S3 SPH-L710 with 4.1.1 and have followed the directions here to root my phone. I believe it's been successful. I really haven't had much time to play with it since I've rooted it. I wanted to simply remove the crappy Samsung/Spring apps on the phone and play around a bit. I haven't had time to experiment with new ROMs or even figure out how to delete the apps I've targeted to remove.

The problem is that now I'm being prompted for a system update, and when it reboots the phone to perform the update, it just brings me to the CWM-based recovery screen where it says "installation aborted" at the bottom.

What should my next steps be?

I assume it's trying to install the Spring/Samsung ROM and is failing because of it being rooted.

Thanks,
Dave

Rdean61

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site

Thank you for your efforts. It took me a long time but I finally figured it out. I think my next question, is now what?

Last edited:

EVObastard

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
There is no problem with changing your sdcard. If you want you can even delete those rooting files off the sdcard. you don't really need them.

I just did a backup via the recovery (rooted 3 days ago) and in the notes after it finished I noticed this: "no /sdcard/.android_secure found. Skipping backup of applications on external storage."
And then: No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext."
I should note that the sd card is from my old EVO and it was partitioned before I moved it to the GS3.
Any ideas? TIA

Hmm, it rebooted into safe mode, never seen that before. Search bar here I come. :confused:

:-[ my bad, my case was on crooked and kept pressing the volume down button.

Last edited: