Lost 3G connectivity...am I alone

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
On Friday while using my phone in mid day, I seem to have lost 3G connectivity. Don't know why. Wi-Fi works fine and I took a trip to Pittsburgh, PA over the weekend and was able to reconnect to 3G there. I was thinking that maybe it was the area, but the rest of my family still has 3G service? Has anyone else had an issue like this or can offer any suggestions of things I can try to fix? I have rebooted phone multiple times, but have no factory reset. I only want to do that as last resort, but would if I had to.

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I have with no love. So, this morning I am able to connect to 3G mobile data when roaming, but not when on Sprint's network.

morami

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Is Sprint upgrading the network in your area?
You should call Customer Service and ask.

Posted via Android Central App

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I've lost mobile data twice in the past week. Disconnecting and reconnecting, restart, all did nothing. I had to call Sprint to get a refresh. Really annoying. I was hoping it's due to 4G upgrade, but I know better than that.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

mustang8918

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I had my data drop out on me a few times on Saturday while I was up in Maryland. Turning the phone off and back on worked each time.

Mitri360

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
This happens to me daily on my s4. I'm in Pittsburgh and they are doing the network vision upgrades. Right now they are flicking lte on and off and I know my s4 has a hard time sometimes switching back and forth. When traveling right now and data is important(which most likely is since you're on Sprint) what I do is switch to cdma only. Because the switching of towers/ehrpd/evdo only/lte is on this tower but not the next/ etc it gets stuck. I've had my data shut off a few times or go down to 1xrtt in the middle of town.

PittsPgh

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
You could always try airplane mode first. That should work just as well as powering off & on.
Paul

LTE testing seems to be spreading all over the Pittsburgh area. Also spotted in Washington Pa.

Paul.

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
So, I called Sprint and they say the network is fine in North Central WV where I live and work so it is probabaly my phone. I explained it worked in Pittsburgh and that I get 3G when roaming so I know my phone is capable and not disfunctional. They asked if I knew anyone else having problems, but the rest of my family have not, so I had to say no. They said they put in a ticket to check the network and would call me back on Friday to check to see if fixed. If not, I should get my phone checked out.

Now, being a commo guy I know a few things. The difference between my phone and the rest of my family is that I am the only one with an LTE capable phone. So, I starte dplaying around with settings. I switched to CDMS only and...BAM! I get 3G again.

After reading you guys posting about LTE service causing issues from Pit on down to Washington, I am started to wonder if for some strange, awesome reason they might also be looking at LTE in Morgantown where I live. I know it seems far fetched but there is LTE from both Verizon and US Cellular here and HSPA+ from AT&T with a promise of LTE soon. So, maybe, just maybe they are working on it and that was why I was having issues. When I changed from CDMA/LET to CDMA only it works....hmm

When they call me back Friday I will ask them about this. Thanks for the help, guys.

davidtm

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your issues, but it's a little consoling to hear, as I've had the same thing since returning from overseas yesterday. I wondered if I had confused the phone with using an overseas SIM card on my trip. Sounds like something else is going on.

Without wifi (which works just fine), I can only get data when set to CDMA. Changing to CDMA/LTE or Automatic immediately shuts data off. I'm in central VA, where I believe there are NO plans for LTE conversion. (Not sure if the other network upgrades are happening.) Interestingly, according to the app Signal Check, when my phone network settings are CDMA/LTE or Automatic, it says my connection is 1xRTT/eHRPD on nTelos (a regional "partner" of Sprint, I believe). When on CDMA only, it says 1xRTT/EV-DO on nTelos/Carrier Unknown. Prior to leaving on vacation, I did not have these issues, and the carrier was always listed as Sprint. Seems like there's been some shifting around of the partner(s) providing the bandwidth.

Update: After reading some on s4gru, I've come to realize that I'm stuck in a corporate limbo area. Shentel to the west has upgraded to LTE like mad around Harrisonburg and north, but Sprint and nTelos are doing some BS corporate dance that's delaying upgrades here. Bummer. I did see that eHRPD is a theoretically better version of EVDO that allows for smoother handoffs to LTE, but that's of little comfort given that LTE is not in the near future.

UPDATE #2: Just before my overseas trip, Sprint Customer Care sent an update to my phone, and I think she may have disabled 4G. This evening, I called again and another reset fixed my issue. Seems like at least some of my corporate cynicism was ill-founded. Signal Check says I'm back on Sprint EV-DO Rev A (but I'm away from home again).

Last edited:

bpcooper14

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
From what I gathered from the Sprint store here in Lynchburg was it had something to do with the latest update that came out. I had a similar issue with my phone. They said to switch to CDMA only and data came back. There is no LTE here in my area so i'm not missing out on anything anyway.

grayin

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I travel frequently and have had this problem with my Sprint Evo LTE and now my Sprint HTC One. Usually it will show several bars and 3g but can't get any data apps to work. A few times my wife was with me and usually her old HTC Evo 4g (wimax phone) would work fine in the same area/time while mine just sat there with no actual connection. The worst cases were in Orlando near theme parks and in downtown Honolulu . I have been thinking it was network overload but maybe it is something else. A restart sometimes fixes it temporarily. Most of the time the phone works fine, but it is frustrating when it acts weird like this.

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Update: Sprint says the network is fine. They said I should take my phone to a Sprint repair show to be checked which, btw, the nearest one is 25 miles away in Washington, PA. I told them to go to hell. There is nothing wrong with my phone and many others have been reporting the same issue, so I am not paying them to look at my phone or replace it with another that will have the same problem. My phone works fine in CDMA only mode. In CDMA/LTE I cannot connect to 3G unless in certain areas. So, I am stuck in CDMA only mode until...who knows when. Also, Morgantown is not scheudled to LTE anytime soon per Sprint. So, I got my hopes up for nothing. :(

davidtm

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Update: I've done a little asking around, and learned some interesting and hopefully promising news for us in central VA. The guy at the Charlottesville Sprint corporate store seemed relatively knowledgeable, and said my situation was caused by an "update" and was going to be fixed (no definite time frame offered). One other guy said it was "network issues" and bemoaned the Sprint/nTelos issues on the corporate level which have delayed the NV upgrades here. I then went to a franchise store which is the local Sprint repair store. The repair tech there said that there had been lots of folks like me complaining of loss of data connectivity, and that it was due to the upgrade of Nextel towers in my area, and all should be well and upgraded by mid- to late-September. Again, few specifics, and the info is, as usual, to be taken with large grains of salt.

bpcooper14

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Good to know about the network. Hopefully that is the case. The people down here didn't seem to have much of an idea what was causing it. In fact, they tried to talk me into a part time job since I seemed to have a clue what I was talking about. hahaha

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Interesting.... I started to experience loss of 3G connection here in Michigan. It could be related to NV upgrades, though not 100% sure. Especially, this Holiday weekend, when I went up North, I was even having issues receiving VM, etc. Something is going on with the network, and it seems to loose 3G when the signal is "borderline"....and i'm connected to a tower that also has 4G...... Sometimes, it will toggle between 3G and 4G, but others, will loose data all together.

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
My 3G didn't work, as well as the ability to make phone calls and get and receive texts, twice in the last 2 weeks.
My One was roaming at my office but was on Sprint at home (about 5 miles apart).
I online chatted Sprint and they said they would look into it.
Everything's OK now but if it can happen twice in 2 weeks, I'm not getting my hopes up. This after using Sprint for 6 years with very rare problems.

vxtip

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I'll add, as I may have posted elsewhere, that I have had some data connection losses. A couple times I lost data connection within the first couple days I had the phone. It may have been due to switching between 3g and LTE but it happened just sitting on my couch where I had already used data before. I decided to set my phone to CDMA only after that. Last night though on 3g only my phone lost data something after 3 am for over 20 minutes, phone and text still worked but no data. Restarting the phone did not help and I had already made sure the various battery saving things were off. It has me wondering if it was the phone or the network, I hope I don't have a lemon.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress