New Nexus S with screen burn-in and/or screen refresh issues

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I just bought a Nexus S 4G for Sprint on the 5th.

I've noticed a major screen issue. I have noticed that on backgrounds that are supposed to be one single color, they is clear burn-in striations. When I turn the phone on the side and the text bars at the top of the screen rotate 90 degrees, I noticed that the coloration where the text bar is not what it should be.

This is most evident when I open the notification screen. The part of the screen that is supposed to be entirely one specific shade of grey, it is not. I also see this kind of thing when I am on the Google mobile homepage, when I start Netflix (you know the big red screen), and in a few other cases.

When I switch from a keyboard view to the the notification screen, I can see clear ghosting of the keyboard "keys"

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there anyway to fix this without having to have the phone swapped out?

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I can see stronger blues where the status bar is on white backgrounds Because its black and not using any leds.

On my epic the area where the status bar was weaker cause it was the grey bar using led. Only problem I have seen on both oled devices. Which isn't a problem when the screen is any other color than white. And its faint.

That's inevitable though.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
By your description don't seem like a software problem but rather a hardware one. I don't have those issues on my Nexus. I would also suggest that if both of you are within the 30-days trial, go back to the store and exchange it.

MBeattie

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Hate to break it to ya but its a faulty display. I just had mine replaced for the same issues. You'll notice alot more imperfections if your hold it next to a proper Nexus.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
By your description don't seem like a software problem but rather a hardware one. I don't have those issues on my Nexus. I would also suggest that if both of you are within the 30-days trial, go back to the store and exchange it.

Don't these devices come with warantees? I don't understand why when I called up Sprint and they couldn't figure out my data issue (which was on their end in the first place) they were telling me to replace it for $35 dollars. When I had issue with my blackberries 8 months after they would just send me a new one free of charge and I send the old one back.

What gives with this? Shouldn't cost me a dime if less than 2 months after purchase there is an issue with anything.

difrent7

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Same exact issue here! I bought my phone from craigslist last week for only $200 in mint condition and noticed this issue when comparing it to my Epic ill be taking it to a Sprint store and probably have to pay the $35 for screen replacement what a buzzkill.

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I went to a Sprint store to try to get a replacement. They let me look at the replacement before they activated the new one. The replacement had the same issue and a dead pixel, so I kept my original Nexus S.

I am no longer sure what causes the issue, I am just going to try to ignore it.

On another note, I have noticed it is very easy to pocket-silence the phone because of the stupid silence slider on the lockscreen. Anyone know how to disable that?

VANGUARD_HD2

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I just bought a Nexus S 4G for Sprint on the 5th.

I've noticed a major screen issue. I have noticed that on backgrounds that are supposed to be one single color, they is clear burn-in striations. When I turn the phone on the side and the text bars at the top of the screen rotate 90 degrees, I noticed that the coloration where the text bar is not what it should be.

This is most evident when I open the notification screen. The part of the screen that is supposed to be entirely one specific shade of grey, it is not. I also see this kind of thing when I am on the Google mobile homepage, when I start Netflix (you know the big red screen), and in a few other cases.

When I switch from a keyboard view to the the notification screen, I can see clear ghosting of the keyboard "keys"

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there anyway to fix this without having to have the phone swapped out?

I have this problem as well but it fades away after a few seconds. Problem is I cant return it as I got the device unlocked from amazon:( And I don't live in the US. Its most obvious on the notifications pull down menu or any other "gray" background.

djshack#AC

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I believe the burn in (which is temporary) is an issue with Super AMOLED displays (I remember reading that somewhere). It reminds me of how plasma televisions leave shadows when the screen goes black temporarily. My NS does it too, but I never considered it a defect. (My crappy-ass battery life, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about.)

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Haaaa my phone is starting to do this!!! I noticed it is really obvious when I use it for long periods of time. I have insurance, but do what is the cheapest method you guys suggest to get it fixed? 35 dollars for a new screen would be really great

But you guys have any suggestions? I dont want to pay a 100 deductible if I can just get the screen fixed by itself

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, unless you by a bricked/bad esn phone, you are looking at over a hundred bucks for the screen assembly for the ns4g. So if you can get a sprint replacement for 35 bucks, grab it. Personally, I don't know that I would trust myself to do a repair like that myself. Your call.

fomotomo

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Idk if you can see it or not but the lock screen lock is etched in to either the glass or screen lol if u cant see it then i guess the glass

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays