HTC evo or Nexus S?

Sesami

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I know most of you will probably say Nexus S (esp if you own one), but I want to know, for people who have had the chance to use both the HTC evo and Nexus S, which one do you prefer? I just got a HTC Evo 4G as a gift, and was told I have 30 days to swap it out for a different phone if I wanted to. I'm pretty happy with the evo, but since it wouldn't cost me any extra to get the Nexus S, I was wondering if it was worth the switch?

ReDDrDz

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I know most of you will probably say Nexus S (esp if you own one), but I want to know, for people who have had the chance to use both the HTC evo and Nexus S, which one do you prefer? I just got a HTC Evo 4G as a gift, and was told I have 30 days to swap it out for a different phone if I wanted to. I'm pretty happy with the evo, but since it wouldn't cost me any extra to get the Nexus S, I was wondering if it was worth the switch?

I like the fact that the evo has an hdmi port and the 8mp camera...the UI is nice...but I still look at it like this...the evo is what 2 yrs old this month? Nexus is 3 months old...If anything that's a sale even though the evo is still holding its own...

I like the bigger screen on the evo, but the Nexus still has a 4 inch screen and the screen is superamoled...in comparison, the evo looks washed out...now that I am rooted...this device is amazing...plus its a vanilla device....and in my opinion i feel distinguished from all my friends that hold the evo

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
8MP camera on the EVO is horrid, no matter what settings are used. The 5MP shooter on the Nexus produces much better shots. Always remember that MP doesn't mean better photo quality.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I like the fact that the evo has an hdmi port and the 8mp camera...the UI is nice...but I still look at it like this...the evo is what 2 yrs old this month? Nexus is 3 months old...If anything that's a sale even though the evo is still holding its own...

The EVO came out in June 2010, so a little over 1 year. And technically the Nexus S itself was released late last year (just that Sprint started carrying it this past May). There isn't a huge difference hardware-wise as far as specs.

I had an EVO for about a year and loved it. I moved onto the NS4G for the sole reason of official support of vanilla android. I enjoyed sense, but after running CM7 on my EVO for a few months I found that I very much prefer stock android.

I loved the 4.3" display on the EVO. The 4" display on the NS4G is noticeably smaller to me, but not by a huge margin. But the samoled display and the lighter, slightly more compact form factor was a tradeoff that made it worth the slightly smaller screen size.

firemedicjohn

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
The amoled screen is the biggest reason why I like mine. The evo washes out pretty bad in the sun. I put an evo and nexus together in bright sunlight and there was just no comparison. Not to mention that it's just a speedy little phone. Not all bogged down with sense and other bloatware.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

Have you gone to the store and spent some time with a Nexus, that will help make your decision a bit easier. Difficult to describe how better the Nexus screen is to the Evo's vs. how much an impact 0.4" less in diagonal diameter on the Nexus will affect your user experience without actually using them.

Specwise both phones are very similar although the 1 Ghz Humingbird on the Nexus is considered by many superior in video performance to the 1 Ghz Snapdragon on the Evo. The basic difference between Nexus and Evo is the lack of Sense - which translates into smoother performance - and the fact is likely to receive future OS updates which the Evo (now EOL'd) is unlikely to get officially.

Other things lacking on the Nexus that you need to consider are: no LED for notifications, no FB integration like the Evo, no SD slot (although the Nexus comes with 16GB of internal storage for data/programs), no kick stand. The Nexus on the other hand is more snappy, smaller, thiner and lighter than the Evo.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I have owned both
Just gave up my EVO for a NS4G. There's no comparison, NS4G kills the EVO in every way. Much faster, much better battery life, much nicer screen, better camera, and better build quality. Switch it out, you wont be disappointed.

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I had the Evo for a year, I'm happy with the NS4G so far. Screen is brighter and more coloful, it's slimmer (enough where I don't mind an extended battery for long business trips), and the default battery seems much better.

Signal really is so/so. I notice I don't have as many bars as I did with my Evo, however, I have yet to miss a call or been unable to use the phone or data because of a "appears to be" weaker signal. I just got mine, including the new update, so I don't really have the pre-update to compare to.

prncssmelissa

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I just switched to a NS4G from my EVO because the power button broke on the motherboard - So far, I'm just as happy with the NS4G as I was with my EVO. I've only had it a little over 24 hours now but no complaints for the most part. I've got a few minor complaints (facebook and no SD slot being the main ones), but they aren't deal breakers for me.

Honestly, it sounds horrid - but I'm going to probably hang on to my NS4G and hold on to my upgrade for the iPhone 5 (hoping that Sprint gets it of course). I love my Android, but at the same time, so much of my music is iTunes and so many friends have iPhones that I've about become a convert..LOL

Just my thoughts and opinions - as always YMMV.

Even4steven

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I stood in line to get my Evo on the first day I loved that phone. I got the NS$G for the wife. After playing with hers, well, I sold the Evo and got one as well. My biggest problem with the EVO- I was running out of room for apps and had to juggle all the time. Bloatware, Sense and less memory were a *****. Plus the NS4G just works better pure and simple. Love the GTALK. Smaller form factor works better for me.

I do miss the kickstand, never used the HDMI. I miss the calendar app.

GO with the Nexus and don't look back.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I stood in line to get my Evo on the first day I loved that phone. I got the NS$G for the wife. After playing with hers, well, I sold the Evo and got one as well. My biggest problem with the EVO- I was running out of room for apps and had to juggle all the time. Bloatware, Sense and less memory were a *****. Plus the NS4G just works better pure and simple. Love the GTALK. Smaller form factor works better for me.

I also miss the kickstands. I believe all touchscreen smartphones should have one now.

Sesami

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for helping me with my decision. I will go next Monday to get the phone swapped out. But a few more things... I'm kind of new to the whole smart phone scene, my old phone was a crappy Straight Talk (Walmart) flip phone. I never really used my cell phones much though, just light texting and an occassional call.

So is the "vanilla" Android kind of like a rooted phone? Can I delete and add anything? And the cameras.. the Evo has a higher MP camera and front faced. Is the Nexus S comparable? Is there any reason to PREFER the Evo over the Nexus S?

dj2big

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
It is a tuff choice between an EVO, EVO 3D and Nexus S 4G if you base it purely on specs. Personally I prefer the Nexus over the EVO and EVO 3D. I have owned all the EVO phones and still own a 3D, Shift and Nexus and yes they are all active. They each have there own positives and negatives but overall I find the Nexus to run smoother and faster. The Nexus handles my 2500 contacts better and faster. The 3D seems to slow down at times to the point that I can't use when it syncs. I wish the 3D had an option to not use HT Sense and use Google raw software I think it would blow away the Nexus at that point. Imo HT Sense slows down the EVOs. I do however also believe it slow because of my massive contact list within Gmail.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone for helping me with my decision. I will go next Monday to get the phone swapped out. But a few more things... I'm kind of new to the whole smart phone scene, my old phone was a crappy Straight Talk (Walmart) flip phone. I never really used my cell phones much though, just light texting and an occassional call.

So is the "vanilla" Android kind of like a rooted phone? Can I delete and add anything? And the cameras.. the Evo has a higher MP camera and front faced. Is the Nexus S comparable? Is there any reason to PREFER the Evo over the Nexus S?

I find the Nexus camera to produce clearer pictures. The only advantage the EVO has over the Nexus is removable storage. I have an iPod, so I don't need any more than 16gb on my phone.

Sent from my Transformer

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

I am in a similar situation. I picked one up for the GF when Best Buy dropped the price for free. I am tempted to pick one up being that I am eligible for an upgrade. I am trying to hold out for the SGS2. The NS4G is so much faster than my Evo. Everything on the screen just looks so much better on the NS4G.

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
It is a tuff choice between an EVO, EVO 3D and Nexus S 4G if you base it purely on specs. Personally I prefer the Nexus over the EVO and EVO 3D. I have owned all the EVO phones and still own a 3D, Shift and Nexus and yes they are all active. They each have there own positives and negatives but overall I find the Nexus to run smoother and faster. The Nexus handles my 2500 contacts better and faster. The 3D seems to slow down at times to the point that I can't use when it syncs. I wish the 3D had an option to not use HT Sense and use Google raw software I think it would blow away the Nexus at that point. Imo HT Sense slows down the EVOs. I do however also believe it slow because of my massive contact list within Gmail.

That goes to show you that specs don't always tell the whole story.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I feel the performance between the two phones are great enough to consider it a generational difference. Even though they are were made the same year, the nexus definitely feels fast like a dual core phone. Also as what everyone says, the 8 mega pixel lens on the EVO blows ( as in not good ) the 5 mega pixel on the nexus S is very very good. Its either on par or slightly better than the 5 mega pixel camera on the iphone 4 which blows the evo's 8 megapixel camera out the water. If you do not believe in the quality of the photos this phone can take, check out the photos thread that is sticky'ed on top of the page

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The $200 you spend today is the least of your costs. Your contract over the 24 months will be about $2000. Consider all your options in the Phone Comparison. 24 months is a long time.

I don't think that anyone has asked if you want to just use the phone as shipped or if you want to root and use the developer tools on it. Do you love to tinker?

Facebook: Do you want to be able to sync Facebook contacts, profile updates & status. Do you want to be able to email or text using Facebook contacts?

Do you want the phone to come with a Notification LED, Speed Dial, Smart Dial, Camera Zoom, FM Radio, or Visual Voicemail?

See the Nexus S Facebook, LED, microSD, Email, Text, & Camera Workarounds

The EVO 4G and Nexus S were two of the best phones from 2010. You will be happy with either one. Just take some time to try out your options and see what you like.

A phone is like shoes. Only you know what feels right for you. 24 months is a long time. You will use this phone all-day, every day. Get the one you want. Have fun checking out your options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non