2x as fast on all networks with 2.3.5

MBeattie

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Me too updated at 6am

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

We all seem to be experiencing mixed results after updating. Myself any many others are seeing negative results. I find my wifi and 4G to have an even weaker signal than before. I'm sitting not 10 feet away from my router and have no wifi signal at all. Unless I'm standing directly in front of it I get nothing. 4G is equally as bad and so I'm basically rocking a NS3G.

mcantu

May 26, 2011
Visit site
my speeds are also at least 2x faster than before the update. my 4G connection does seem to drop more often than before though. i'm going to try a factory reset and see if that helps any

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
My Nexus finally updated this weekend and I've been playing and noticing a boost in 3G data speeds and no dropped calls. I don't have 4G on my area so can't test these.

Before the update came along decided to collect some information for an objective before and after 3G changes with GRJ90 so here it is:

Tests performed with the Speedtest app taking ten consecutive measures one minute apart from the same location at the same time of day before and after the 2.3.5 update.

GRJ22:
PING 321.8 (average)
Average download speed - 794.6 kbps (max 977 / min 504)
Average upload speed - 371 kbps (max 454 / min 227)

GRJ90:
PING 397.8 (average)
Average download speed - 1024.6 kbps (max 1347 / min 786)
Average upload speed - 387 kbps (max 440 / min 313)

On this test there is a significant download data speed improvement post update (about 29% faster download speed) with minimal improvement on upload data speed (4.3% better).

Conclusion: I am very happy with GRJ90 3G data speed improvements, in actual use however feels faster than this number suggest. Interestingly the reported signal strength before and after the update are very similar, about -86 dBm - fluctuating from -76 to -94 at different times, not much different before the update.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
We all seem to be experiencing mixed results after updating. Myself any many others are seeing negative results. I find my wifi and 4G to have an even weaker signal than before. I'm sitting not 10 feet away from my router and have no wifi signal at all. Unless I'm standing directly in front of it I get nothing. 4G is equally as bad and so I'm basically rocking a NS3G.

Did you manual update? I waited for OTA. Maybe the milks gone bad?

ReDDrDz

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

what? I can't hear you.... throw up speedtest....

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
My Nexus finally updated this weekend and I've been playing and noticing a boost in 3G data speeds and no dropped calls. I don't have 4G on my area so can't test these.

Before the update came along decided to collect some information for an objective before and after 3G changes with GRJ90 so here it is:

Tests performed with the Speedtest app taking ten consecutive measures one minute apart from the same location at the same time of day before and after the 2.3.5 update.

GRJ22:
PING 321.8 (average)
Average download speed - 794.6 kbps (max 977 / min 504)
Average upload speed - 371 kbps (max 454 / min 227)

GRJ90:
PING 397.8 (average)
Average download speed - 1024.6 kbps (max 1347 / min 786)
Average upload speed - 387 kbps (max 440 / min 313)

On this test there is a significant download data speed improvement post update (about 29% faster download speed) with minimal improvement on upload data speed (4.3% better).

Conclusion: I am very happy with GRJ90 3G data speed improvements, in actual use however feels faster than this number suggest. Interestingly the reported signal strength before and after the update are very similar, about -86 dBm - fluctuating from -76 to -94 at different times, not much different before the update.

The main problem is your using the Speedtest app. Speedtest app across all platforms has been known to give inaccurate numbers and readings. You will probably see better ping results as well by using Speakeasy.Use Speakeasy.net

I have used both, and done side by side testing for the last two years. Speedtest app has always given way different readings from Speakeasy.net, and with that testing the Speedtest app could not produce similar numbers upon different tests. Which led me to believe it gives false readings. I have also been told by numerous network engineers to stop using it. To either use the Providers speedtest site, or use Speakeasy.net.

redtooth

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been told that the speedtest AP is inaccurate but every time I run it and then go to the speekeasy website I get pretty close to the same results. I have yet to see a big difference.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
The main problem is your using the Speedtest app. Speedtest app across all platforms has been known to give inaccurate numbers and readings. You will probably see better ping results as well by using Speakeasy.Use Speakeasy.net

I have used both, and done side by side testing for the last two years. Speedtest app has always given way different readings from Speakeasy.net, and with that testing the Speedtest app could not produce similar numbers upon different tests. Which led me to believe it gives false readings. I have also been told by numerous network engineers to stop using it. To either use the Providers speedtest site, or use Speakeasy.net.

That may be so, but the speedtest app is the one used by engadget and others to define the magnitude of the data speed problems and to make comparisons to other headsets so is only logical to use this tool to quantitate the benefits of the update.

Furthermore, I used the tool to make a comparison regarding change attributable to the update not to establish absolute speed numbers. The numbers are not what matters here but rather the change with the update.

It would be very interesting if you could post your comparison results here so we could have an idea of the issues with this app.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
That may be so, but the speedtest app is the one used by engadget and others to define the magnitude of the data speed problems and to make comparisons to other headsets so is only logical to use this tool to quantitate the benefits of the update.

Furthermore, I used the tool to make a comparison regarding change attributable to the update not to establish absolute speed numbers. The numbers are not what matters here but rather the change with the update.

It would be very interesting if you could post your comparison results here so we could have an idea of the issues with this app.

Would not be following what Engadget does, that is why they lost most of their crew. Like I mentioned using Speedtest site and app has warranted different results with inconsistencies for a long time. With network engineers telling me to stay away from it. If I want more accurate readings. Again my two cents.. It is also widely known in the network area to use better sites for speed testing.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Would not be following what Engadget does, that is why they lost most of their crew. Like I mentioned using Speedtest site and app has warranted different results with inconsistencies for a long time. With network engineers telling me to stay away from it. If I want more accurate readings. Again my two cents.. It is also widely known in the network area to use better sites for speed testing.

lol. Used the app. 340kbps.

CNet website. Flash app. 1.2mbps.

redtooth

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Did I miss something? There's been a lot of talk about 3g speeds after the update. I can't see any difference at all. Furthermore I can't find anything on Google or Sprint that said 3g speeds we're even address in this update. Am I missing some press release that said 3g was supposed to be affected by this update?

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Did I miss something? There's been a lot of talk about 3g speeds after the update. I can't see any difference at all. Furthermore I can't find anything on Google or Sprint that said 3g speeds we're even address in this update. Am I missing some press release that said 3g was supposed to be affected by this update?

It wasn't mentioned. But I can tell you 100% something was changed and performance is better for me. Smoother browser scrolling wasn't in the notes; nor, was extra ram. Yet they are both there. And anyone who says otherwise: O well, doesn't bother me what you think.

redtooth

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm not denying you are seeing improvement. Maybe something happened and I didn't get updated correctly? I do not see any more ram than before. I don't use the stock browser much and I don't notice any difference with scrolling.
If it wasn't for the fact that tether no longer works I would not believe I receive the update! I am going to stop by the sprint store tomorrow. I wanna check out the photon and have them check and see if there's a problem with my phone. This really is the perfect phone for me if the signal was a little bit faster. In fact singnal speed is the only problem i have with this phone. It sounds strange to say but I'm hoping that there is a problem with my phone!

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't get dropped calls any more, wifi is much improved, and I get 4G in areas I never did before. The update was great for me as I was one of the ones that had problems prior to the update.

anon(92556)

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Anyone seen a 1x icon since the update? After updating...status would show 1x but the data icon shows 3g. Also...no better speeds or signal. Going back to 2.3.4 with the new radio still shows more bars, but i now see 1x again...and tethering works!

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad you're having such smashing success with the update. I'm unfortunately getting half the speeds I was getting before the update.

Edit: Yep, a roll back to GRJ22 improves my speeds. A shame, now I don't get secure NFC if I want to have speeds that matter.

Last edited:

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Anyone seen a 1x icon since the update? After updating...status would show 1x but the data icon shows 3g. Also...no better speeds or signal. Going back to 2.3.4 with the new radio still shows more bars, but i now see 1x again...and tethering works!

I want to say I have... but I can't confirm it. I know what your talking about though. Where the 1x shows in status and not in the bar. This happened when I first updated one phone; and, it was doing rev 0. Profile update fixed this; but, my other phone doesn't update profiles. Fails out; but, from what I heard that doesn't even matter anymore it does it in the background; and, it will eventually fix itself. Mine never showed up with the rev 0 though.

I'll have to check later. Everywhere I'm near low signal I have wifi on the last 3 days. I'm pretty sure I've seen it though once since the update before I turned my wifi on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch