Google Currents on GB v ICS Ports

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Is it fast and snappy? On ASOPs ICS build it's very SLOW. Unresponsive for the first few seconds on boot up; which, doesn't make sense with it's using 67mb of ram in the background when your not even using it.

Anyone having luck with it running smooth on GB?

Who actually likes it? I was excited when I just saw it; then, not so much. No read and unread marking. No unread count. Is this supposed to replace Google Reader or what?

I'm scared of change! L O L!

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok the background process seems to be the initial start up. And it runs smoother now. I still dont know if i like it. Google reader. Im old.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok the background process seems to be the initial start up. And it runs smoother now. I still dont know if i like it. Google reader. Im old.

Can't offer a comparison, but I'm with you on these type of aggregators being a little too much for my liking. When it comes to feeds, I want a Honda Civic: reliable, economical, expediant. Google Reader is perfect for me. I like Currents, but it and Flipboard don't really present information in the best way to check a lot of items quickly.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Can't offer a comparison, but I'm with you on these type of aggregators being a little too much for my liking. When it comes to feeds, I want a Honda Civic: reliable, economical, expediant. Google Reader is perfect for me. I like Currents, but it and Flipboard don't really present information in the best way to check a lot of items quickly.

Ive been testing them. Reader is always up to date with the newest news. Even the ac who has a nice new current isnt up to date. And thats how i noticed my post is on the front page. Who picks these things. This is a terrible thread. Lol. No really it is.

ba_hamilton

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I like Currents on my Dinc2. The first time I used it it took a while to load all the feeds. Now it loads up pretty fast. It is only the initial release so I expect some improvements soon.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I like Currents on my Dinc2. The first time I used it it took a while to load all the feeds. Now it loads up pretty fast. It is only the initial release so I expect some improvements soon.

Im stuborn and unless it can do what reader does the splash screen could be naken ladies and i wouldnt use it even if i were 14.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I have seen quite a few threads about people complaining about app problems on an unofficial port. K.
He's not complaining. He knows that the current batch of ICS ROMs aren't as fast as the official builds will be. He was asking if the app itself is slow on Gingerbread so that he can gauge if the app itself is a slow hog or if it's just acting that way now on his device running a buggy ROM.

K.

dunneldeen

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm running currents on a stock build of GB 2.3.3 on my HTC Inspire 4G. It runs pretty fast now that I've given it time to bake after installing; it was kind of a dog just after it was installed.

I read a LOT of sites and tend to power thru them, and it is definitely not built for that. It presents a more magazine like appearance and I can see how that might appeal to some. I'm not sure about using it for my mass effect reading, but I'd definitely consider using it for a full blown magazine subscription if done right.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
He's not complaining. He knows that the current batch of ICS ROMs aren't as fast as the official builds will be. He was asking if the app itself is slow on Gingerbread so that he can gauge if the app itself is a slow hog or if it's just acting that way now on his device running a buggy ROM.

K.

Thanks CHUD. L O L!

I'm running currents on a stock build of GB 2.3.3 on my HTC Inspire 4G. It runs pretty fast now that I've given it time to bake after installing; it was kind of a dog just after it was installed.

I read a LOT of sites and tend to power thru them, and it is definitely not built for that. It presents a more magazine like appearance and I can see how that might appeal to some. I'm not sure about using it for my mass effect reading, but I'd definitely consider using it for a full blown magazine subscription if done right.

I really like the way it looks. Could definitely see it being really good for magazines. I was hoping to a new fresh "reader" app. Guess I'll have to wait for that. It defintely runs smoother on Asops v25 rom than v23; but, still takes forever to sync and I've been on Wifi alllll day.

Where can you find Currents for download? Didn't see it in the market.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Should be in the Market. Sometimes I have a problem where I don't see apps; but, the AC link to the market download usually pulls it up for me.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Haha, seriously.

I made a backup of it in Titanium as sort of a reminder to check it out again later, but for right now I just don't have the desire to babysit it so I uninstalled it.

The magazines that are actually made for it look great and it's a pleasure to flip through and use. One of the subscriptions is a photograph one and that one was especially cool. But much of the content is just going to be a typical RSS type feed where you have to read the rest of the article on the original site and if I am going to do that then I'll stick with Reader, which is much leaner and has syncing across the browser too.

As usual, Google released another Beta product.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Haha, seriously.

I made a backup of it in Titanium as sort of a reminder to check it out again later, but for right now I just don't have the desire to babysit it so I uninstalled it.

The magazines that are actually made for it look great and it's a pleasure to flip through and use. One of the subscriptions is a photograph one and that one was especially cool. But much of the content is just going to be a typical RSS type feed where you have to read the rest of the article on the original site and if I am going to do that then I'll stick with Reader, which is much leaner and has syncing across the browser too.

As usual, Google released another Beta product.

The problem with the rss feeds in it:

The app doesnt update quickly and as frequent as reader. Wich does it with little data.

And even after they sync for some reason they are missing the newest articles on the pages. I know this from reader.

And it doesnt give you that unread count.

It would be nice if they fuse both apps together without sacrfice to reader. Cause it is sexy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non