Nexus S 4G won't connect to computer

jibby

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
My nexus has randomly decided to stop connecting to my laptop. It connects to my work computer with no problem, but refuses to connect to my personal laptop.

I have tried different USB cords, ports, and still nothing.

When I plug it in at work, the phone gives me the typical drop down USB options.

When I plug it in at home, with the same cord, it does nothing but charge.

The computer doesn't do anything, and neither does the nexus.

I am getting REALLY frustrated, I am ready to root finally but I can't if I can't sync up my phone.

Help??

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried placing PDA net on your computer see if that helps the connection?

I would also if you current have any drivers installed for the device on your computer, nor would be the time to uninstall them and reboot the computer and try the above mentioned suggestion.

Have you checked your computer at home using something else to make sure the USB Ports are functioning properly?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Really does sound strange... Works on your work computer but not your laptop.

I would say its not the device and more either USB cord/driver something related to your laptop connection. By connecting to a different computer it rules out a problem with your Nexus.

Probably the most common is a USB cable problem.... I've seen and read about them doing some strange things.... They charge a device, make mass storage connections but for reason they don't connect for rooting.. Mix and mash of what I mentioned.... Takes the slightest break, bend or loss of improper juice going through the line to foul up things and make you think its a computer or device problem. I order 3 new cables a few months ago... 2 of them work perfect for everything, the 3rd I can charge with but won't allow a connection between computer and device....

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
That is your choice but seeing that you claim it connects fine to a different computer that would rule out the device being the cause.

If it didn't connect to any computer out there, different versions of Windows XP/Vista/Win 7 then I would say you could have a USB port problem on your device.

I know for one my NS4G connects on my kids XP machines, my wife's Vista laptop and my Win 7 laptop without even having drivers installed it gets recognized then prompted to download the required drivers if needed.

I would really take the time to look over your cables, possibly consider purchasing a new one for a couple bucks off Amazon and see if it resolves things.

Anti virus software or firewall software has been known to cause issues in the past too. Something could of changed your unaware of on your laptop causing the device to not connect.

If you have a friends laptop or computer you can take your phone and cable over to and try it out on and it works then again that proves its not the device and even possibly not the cable but your laptop your having problems with.

Just some suggestions... Take it for what its worth.

jibby

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I know very well that this problem is not phone related. I'm just allowing the phone to get me worked up. haha

I still don't know what the problem was, but I had a friend bring his laptop and android phone over yesterday.

His phone synced right up with my laptop using the same usb cord I was using!

Anyways, I used his computer to root and rom my Nexus. I am running AOSP OICS now, and it seems to run really well.

It's too bad this hasn't been OTA'd yet. 4.0 is awesome.

Laurie Desmet

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Re: Nexus 4 4G won't connect to computer

I have tried changing cords and nothing I dunno how to set it up on my comp what do I do I work for a place and take pictures with my cell now what am I going to do can someone help??need step by step advice ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress