Go Galaxy Nexus or stay?

Which one?

• Total voters

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
LOL, I can't help it!! Now folks are already talking about Jellybean ;) Always a next-big thing! :p
You bet.. ICS is now what 2 months or 3 months old... That's ancient!

All joking aside, everyone wants that next latest and greatest. I want the same but at the same time I want something that is going to ride for a good 2 years like my NS4G.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
You bet.. ICS is now what 2 months or 3 months old... That's ancient!

All joking aside, everyone wants that next latest and greatest. I want the same but at the same time I want something that is going to ride for a good 2 years like my NS4G.

I know...I want it too, well...just 'cause it's there! I am phone/rooting junkie! We have four Android devices...the EVO 4G, EVO 3D, NS4G, and LG Optimus S and I have rooted and modded them all! I agree with being patient though. Who wants a buggy release? If you want that, there are some ROMs out there...;)

losino

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to keep this phone I have for a while. Its does what I need it to do. I'm eligable for an upgrade in April and my contract expires in June. I bought this phone off contract. And I will more than likely go month to month for as long as I can.

If I did get te galaxy nexus, it would be when I could find it for a couple hundred off contract like I did this phone.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to keep this phone I have for a while. Its does what I need it to do. I'm eligable for an upgrade in April and my contract expires in June. I bought this phone off contract. And I will more than likely go month to month for as long as I can.

If I did get te galaxy nexus, it would be when I could find it for a couple hundred off contract like I did this phone.

Exactly what I did, and exactly how I feel. My contract ended in December, and I believe that contract originated when I purchased a Samsung Moment. Since then, I purchased off contract and months after release date several Optimus S's and then this Nexus S 4g, all for equal or less than what they were selling for with a two year contract from Sprint. I'll hold on to this phone for a while until I can either get the Galaxy Nexus off contract for a reasonable price, or (more likely), use my upgrade in about a year to get whatever comes after the Galaxy Nexus, once Sprint's LTE gets a bit more mature.

Reactions: losino

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I am due an upgrade in July. Unless there is something better than the galaxy nexus, I will have to stick with the nexus 4g.

I have tried the on screen buttons on my nexus. And have played with them on the galaxy nexus in the sprint store. I absolutely hate them. I will NEVER pay money for a phone that has the on screen buttons.

Hopefully there will be options available in July or I will gladly save my money and continue to rock my nexus.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I have tried the on screen buttons on my nexus. And have played with them on the galaxy nexus in the sprint store. I absolutely hate them. I will NEVER pay money for a phone that has the on screen buttons.

Isn't 'buttonless' the model for future phones shipping with ICS?

bugz_92

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I remember when people including me said that they would never get a phone without a keyboard. And now I am here, and I don't regret it. It just takes getting use to like everything in life.

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Some days, I wish I still had a physical keyboard, but most days, nah, even with the many predictive text errors that both Swype and Swiftkey make when I use them. Which brings me to another subject that I may post a new subject on.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus S has a single-core chip, 1/2 the memory, 1/2 the storage and significantly lower screen resolution than the GNex. They aren't even in the same hardware class as each other.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus S has a single-core chip, 1/2 the memory, 1/2 the storage and significantly lower screen resolution than the GNex. They aren't even in the same hardware class as each other.

But you know what, we've been running ICS with no problems. We haven't had anywhere near the signal problems and other things that have plagued the GN so for an old dog device I'd say were doing very well ;)

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
But you know what, we've been running ICS with no problems. We haven't had anywhere near the signal problems and other things that have plagued the GN so for an old dog device I'd say were doing very well ;)
That goes to show you the longevity of a Nexus device. They are great investments, but how long before the next Nexus after the GNex comes out? At least a year.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Rumors are saying Nexus 4, around November... If Sammy has watched and learned the next Nexus will be a much better update than the GN was. Even Sammy's own SGSII is ranking higher in many areas than the GN so you know they already have the better technology on tap in other Samsung devices.

That is it for my comments, these opinion/poll threads go back and forth with no ending :)

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Rumors are saying Nexus 4, around November... If Sammy has watched and learned the next Nexus will be a much better update than the GN was. Even Sammy's own SGSII is ranking higher in many areas than the GN so you know they already have the better technology on tap in other Samsung devices.
November is a long time away. I am hoping for a Moto Nexus!

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I always thought Nexus phones COULDN'T be too feature packed because they had to fit a certain "Google spec". They're not made to be killer phones, just good enough to be a standard "development" phone.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

Yes that is why I love the Nexus S 4G. It is still relevant after all these dual-core (eventually quad-core devices) because of the wonderful software devs create for this device!

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
You forgot to make another option for your poll: Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

After more than 10 years with Sprint, I switched to Verizon and got the Galaxy Nexus. The phone was only $99 through Amazon, and my monthly bill is actually going to be about $30 LESS. I'm SO glad I switched! Sprint gambled on WiMAX, amd it ended up being like Betamax lol. It is going to be a while before 4G LTE coverage is very widespread on Sprint. The other thing, is that Verozon's 4G is FFFFAST! Compared to the Nexus S 4G I had on WiMAX. Hell, it's fast compared to the Comcast cable Internet I have at home. You just wouldn't believe how fast it is, and how much coverage they have across the country. Oh, yeah... It also has the official ICS of course. Got totally sick of waiting for that to drop on the Sprint Nexus S. I don't want to root. Last thing.... Verizon's 3G is SO fast compared to Sprints 3G. Night and day speed difference.

Anyway, if you DO wait for the one in Sprint, it's a great phone, but Sprints 4g network is a real downer.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
You forgot to make another option for your poll: Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

After more than 10 years with Sprint, I switched to Verizon and got the Galaxy Nexus. The phone was only $99 through Amazon, and my monthly bill is actually going to be about $30 LESS. I'm SO glad I switched! Sprint gambled on WiMAX, amd it ended up being like Betamax lol. It is going to be a while before 4G LTE coverage is very widespread on Sprint. The other thing, is that Verozon's 4G is FFFFAST! Compared to the Nexus S 4G I had on WiMAX. Hell, it's fast compared to the Comcast cable Internet I have at home. You just wouldn't believe how fast it is, and how much coverage they have across the country. Oh, yeah... It also has the official ICS of course. Got totally sick of waiting for that to drop on the Sprint Nexus S. I don't want to root. Last thing.... Verizon's 3G is SO fast compared to Sprints 3G. Night and day speed difference.

Anyway, if you DO wait for the one in Sprint, it's a great phone, but Sprints 4g network is a real downer.

It's not my choice to pick which carrier I want to be on, it's my dad's. Anyhow, both Sprint and Verizon don't have 4G here in my town and aside from the 3G speed difference where I live, it's negligible. Another thing to mention is that I'm on wifi quite often so data speed isn't a huge problem for me.

evansgw

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I'd stick to the s4g. Save your cash. After unlocking, the device is like new and great fun messing around with ROMs.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree... as much as I like the idea of unlimited data and cheaper plans, the more I'm travelling, the more I'm finding out just how limited Sprint is in my neck of the woods. I get decent cell and mediocre data from home and work, as does my wife- but if we visit any county outside of LosAngeles county, data is questionable often, and sometimes the signal drops to roaming or 1 bar. Also, my home neighborhood has become a near dead zone, so much so that I asked for an airrave- which has helped a bit. That's pretty unacceptable. My parents are on verizon and we're now considering joining them on a family plan... it'd still be more money and limited data- but 4gb is more than enough for each of us...as long as I keep my streaming podcasts to a minimum at lunchtime.:) Still holding off and debating...

That said, this latest issue about CDMA carriers holding up google OTAs really has me questioning just how much better we are with a nexus on CDMA vs. a non nexus. It's been WAY longer than I expected Sprint to push ICS. And I don't see Verizon being any better. Shame I have ZERO faith in ATT or Tmobile's networks... I like the idea of being on a GSM phone better - but the reality of their network in my experience here is no better than sprint or worse.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez