Nexus S Has Terrible 4G Radio, Terrible Wifi Radio, and Wifi Tethering Crashes Data

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
i wouldnt "wait around" for ota updates.
by the time those come around you will be out of your 15-30 day window to return the phone for something else.

go back to your old phone or buy one off craigslist for the mean time until the kinks are worked out.

these issues are MAJOR, bad reception with wifi and 4g while with other phones like evo are great with reception in the same area where the nexus is horrible... i wouldnt be happy nor would i "wait around" with a possibility of being stuck with a brick for a phone that does nothing but talk and data. no wifi or 4g.

...and you know this how? Your Evo had the exact same issues when it was released. I should know, I got one morning they went on sale. Guess what? There was an OTA fix within a few weeks. So no reason to think there shouldnt be with this phone.

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
Bet you Sprint did this on purpose so people would return it and get their flagship phone, the Evo 3D. Wouldnt surprise me a bit, they hardly even acknowledge the phone is out and I have heard reports of Sprint employees trying to get Nexus S buyers to buy the Evo 4G instead or wait for the 3D saying the Nexus has "old technology". Idiots.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Bet you Sprint did this on purpose so people would return it and get their flagship phone, the Evo 3D. Wouldnt surprise me a bit, they hardly even acknowledge the phone is out and I have heard reports of Sprint employees trying to get Nexus S buyers to buy the Evo 4G instead or wait for the 3D saying the Nexus has "old technology". Idiots.

Then why would Sprint even carry the phone at all?

uly_g

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I also am getting crappy reception on all my radios! used to average 4g speeds of 6-8 mbps on my evo and my nexus gets 3-4 at work at the same spot I always do my speedtests. 3g reception is TERRIBLE, and wifi signal isn't at 100% even with my netgear n600 less then 5 feet away! I really hope an OTA comes out soon, Google has got 25 days, otherwise I will sadly be returning it :(

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
Heh, well I'll say that it is an interesting theory you have ;)

Yep. I was told by a Sprint store employee that they had no release date for the Nexus 3 days before launch! I said "thats weird, cause I have been hearing Sunday." Still nothing from her. Went to Best Buy, not only did they know about it, they happily pre ordered one for me. Think about it, have you seen any TV spots, ads, billboards or anything for the Nexus S 4G on Sprint? I sure havent. Meanwhile, the 3D which doesnt even have a release date gets a full page ad in a few magazines. Seems awfuly odd to me.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Yep. I was told by a Sprint store employee that they had no release date for the Nexus 3 days before launch! I said "thats weird, cause I have been hearing Sunday." Still nothing from her. Went to Best Buy, not only did they know about it, they happily pre ordered one for me. Think about it, have you seen any TV spots, ads, billboards or anything for the Nexus S 4G on Sprint? I sure havent. Meanwhile, the 3D which doesnt even have a release date gets a full page ad in a few magazines. Seems awfuly odd to me.

As far as ads, people said the same thing about the Pre and the EVO even after release. Sprint historically just doesnt do much advertising for a phone until a bit after release. Also, the EVO 3D is going to be their next yearly flagship phone. Just the way it is, It is where the attention will be. The Nexus is a pure google phone.

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com

Not really, pure google phone means no sprint stuff on it. They can't push their own things and no access to sprint's visual voicemail (not everyone wants to use GV). So why push the phone? Especially since you can probably tether from it easier than their other android alternatives.

darealm

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Sprint is going to prioritize all their marketing dollars towards the E3D. Wouldn't u do the same? First, consumers already have a positive attitude towards the Evo brand. Second, they wont need to spend as much money building awareness because the Evo 4G ad blitz from 2010 still resonates in the memory of consumers. Third, the phone is much more geared towards the everyday consumer, ie Sense. Finally, it's much easier to sell a phone if u can claim it has the most advanced technology on the market, including 3D.

I love my nexus, but I can understand why Sprint is not promoting it compared to the Evo line....

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else having battery issues. When I charge mine it will get up to 94% power then say "fully charged" and the second I unplug it, it goes back to 94% power. I think I'm just gonna end up getting a new battery.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Anyone else having battery issues. When I charge mine it will get up to 94% power then say "fully charged" and the second I unplug it, it goes back to 94% power. I think I'm just gonna end up getting a new battery.

Its not your battery. It's a protective feature built into the kernel to stop you from overcharging and ruining your battery.

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I was just in Chicago area over the weekend and got to try out 4G on the Nexus for the first time. Was in the Woodfield Mall area and was able to get 1 bar of 4G and it only got 1mbps download and 500k upload in Jamba Juice basically outside of the mall in the streets of woodfield. Then got on interstate 90 from woodfield all the way to elgin and was never able to get over 2 bars of 4g. Also never got over 2mbps. Wimax really blows but what made me mad was it constantly going from 2 bars to 0 bars and losing signal switching to 3G. Sprint can't switch to LTE soon enough!

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
What I'm wondering is why this issue has gotten ZERO coverage from all the major blogs, including Android Central. The Thunderbolt 4G issues and the Atrix 3G upload issues got immediate coverage, which forced responses out of Verizon/AT&T/HTC/Motorola etc.

Until this gets mentioned on the front pages and the media pressure is put on Sprint/Google/Samsung, they will have no reason to address this issue in a reasonable fashion, if at all!

Reactions: corndog22cl

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
What I'm wondering is why this issue has gotten ZERO coverage from all the major blogs, including Android Central. The Thunderbolt 4G issues and the Atrix 3G upload issues got immediate coverage, which forced responses out of Verizon/AT&T/HTC/Motorola etc.

Until this gets mentioned on the front pages and the media pressure is put on Sprint/Google/Samsung, they will have no reason to address this issue in a reasonable fashion, if at all!

I was wondering that...Engadget and Gizmodo covered Apple's "antennagate" as if it was a natural disaster. This hasn't even been mentioned in passing.

jtfishbein

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site

Couldnt agree with you anymore. Between bad reception and the echoing speakerphone, I'm on my 3rd phone. I'm ready to throw in the towel.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Article on it at phandroid:

Nexus S 4G Having Reception Issues?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I just submitted this to Engadget and a few others.

Hopefully you submitted to Androidcentral.com as well? The more attention the better. Remember that whole SMS bug a couple months back? It had existed for a long time until blogs start writing about it then el goog fixes it within a couple days. Hope this has the same result because the signal issues need to get fixed ASAP or Sprint is going to see a mass exodus