Should I Really Make the Leap?

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I have just 3 days left of my 30 day 3VO trial. I need to decide whether I'm going to keep my 3VO or turn it in for the Photon.

Here are the issues I have with my EVO 3D (aka 3VO):

- Low speaker volume
- Poor camera quality
- Poor video recording
- Borderline poor call quality
- Hard to see screen in bright sunshine (makes it hard to drive using GPS)

Here's what I like about my phone:

- 3D Capabilities (would be more useful if I could view my 3D content on a regular computer)
- Sense 3.0 eye candy (the HTC weather widget is HOT!)
- The way it feels in my hand with my Seidio Active case
- Many third party vendor support for cradles, screen protectors, and cases
- Visual Voicemail (this is a big deal for a former Pre owner!)
- Web browser automatically resizes and wordwraps text upon pinching and zooming WITHOUT having to double tap after a resize.

From playing with the Photon in the Sprint store, it seems like the Photon fixes all of the issues I have with the 3VO, has longer battery life, a much brighter screen and the kickstand with desk clock mode is pretty cool. However, I would lose 3D capabilities (not that important), the Sense 3.0 eye candy, and Seidio hasn't made any cases for it yet. I really hope they make an Active case and a desktop charging cradle for the Photon like they've made for the 3VO.

Here are my concerns about the Photon:

- Pentile Display (I can see various degrees of graniness on different phones. Some phones look ok and others look pretty bad.)
- There are many reports of the phone randomly rebooting or needing to be rebooted in order to make and/or receive calls.
- Reports of the proximity sensors malfunctioning.

Whatever phone I get needs to be able to MAKE and RECEIVE calls first and foremost. However, many people are also reporting that they are not having any issues with their Photon. I don't want to have to go through the effort of returning my 3VO which DOES make calls (though with poor/mediocre sound quality) to end up with a Photon that I have to reboot often to make calls. But I might get lucky and get one that has no issues.

Please chime in and let me know your thoughts on what I should do. I'd really appreciate your help!

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
I responded to your post in the Evo3D forum. At this time I do not think it is worth the risk to return the Evo3D for the Photon. Yes I know that the Evo3D has average call quality as best, like my Evo3D, but it's not worth risking returning it for a Photon that may not even be able to make a call. That is my opinion but you have to determine for yourself if you want to risk it. Good luck :)

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Don't listen to the HTC Guy..lol..the htcevo is a no go..you will have buyers remorse ..also sprint has confirmed a fix for the lone problem with the phone

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Don't listen to the HTC Guy..lol..the htcevo is a no go..you will have buyers remorse ..also sprint has confirmed a fix for the lone problem with the phone

Where did I say that I was an "HTC Guy"? I never advocated for the Evo. I was simply stating that it is not worth the risk of getting the Photon with 1 day left on the 30 day return, knowing that some Photon phones have problems receiving/making calls. Also, the OP and myself both want the Photon but are just trying to make sure we don't get that problem.....

Anyways, I have seen so many conflicting reports about whether or not there will be a fix. Some claim Sprint Reps have told them a fix is on the way. Some claim Sprint Reps don't even know about the issue. Others say Motorola doesn't even know. So many conflicting reports. Where is this confirmation fix you speak of?

Last edited:

Lokifish

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Anyways, I have seen so many conflicting reports about whether or not there will be a fix. Some claim Sprint Reps have told them a fix is on the way. Some claim Sprint Reps don't even know about the issue. Others say Motorola doesn't even know. So many conflicting reports. Where is this confirmation fix you speak of?

There's already a leaked update that is being used as the base for tweaked ROMs..

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Whatever phone I get needs to be able to MAKE and RECEIVE calls first and foremost. However, many people are also reporting that they are not having any issues with their Photon. I don't want to have to go through the effort of returning my 3VO which DOES make calls (though with poor/mediocre sound quality) to end up with a Photon that I have to reboot often to make calls. But I might get lucky and get one that has no issues.

Please chime in and let me know your thoughts on what I should do. I'd really appreciate your help!

The problems you have with the Photon are primarily software issues that will hopefully get fixed (except for the Pentile screen, that's just personal preference). The problems you have with the Evo 3D are hardware based. Can you live with poor call quality and low volume? Are the video recording and camera important to you such that their "low quality" will bother you in the long term? Software updates might relieve some of these issues but others will stay.

I admit to being a big Sense fan myself. Moto's No-Longer-Called-Blur interface is empty in comparison. Thankfully there are plenty of replacement launchers and lock screens out there that will allow you to get close to your original Sense experience if you so desire (except for the animated weather widget, I think that's Sense-only unfortunately).

If you're worried about the silent call problem, know that you can return the Photon for a different one if it affects you too much. Also note that many people either don't experience it or have only seen it a handful of times. If call quality is a big selling point for you, then the Photon is the better choice, even with the potential for the silent call bug.

Just my two cents as someone trying to decide between the two phones myself.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Or you could do what I did... returned my phone and reactivated my old Evo 4G. Will wait a month or so to see what comes out in early September, read the reports of the fixed Photon issues, and then decide (or not). Until then, I have no complaints about my OG Evo with call quality, signal strength, and I still have my kickstand.

I'll then have a full 30 days to try whatever phone I end up taking on next. Certainly won't be selling this wonderful phone I have (the Evo) for a crappy price of $100 or $150. Will serve as an excellent backup device. Anybody upgrading and selling his safety net is just being silly.

RBrown9180

May 16, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, I've only had the silent call issue happen once. I've had it since release day and that is the only issue I've had all together

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Or you could do what I did... returned my phone and reactivated my old Evo 4G. Will wait a month or so to see what comes out in early September, read the reports of the fixed Photon issues, and then decide (or not).

Oh you returned your Photon? You were one of the bigger MoPho advocates here right out of the gate. I guess you started experiencing one or more of the reported issues going on? If so, that's a bummer.

On a brighter note, you'll have a chance to evaluate Sprint's Galaxy SII variant (if you're interested in it at all) and see if you like it. I'd hope the software issues plaguing some Photon owners would be fixed by then and you can do a side-by-side comparison.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Do it! Exchange for the Photon sjaime! You know you want too!!

After 3 3vo 3D's, I got tired of dropped calls and tilted screens. I'm done with HTC for a while. They should have named the Evo 3D the Evo Screamo! Cause you scream when the call is dropped....

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Fortunately, i haven't had any dropped calls on my 3VO yet but people are telling me they can hear massive background noise in relatively quiet restaurants. That suggests the noise canceling mic is not functioning too well. I am definitely leaning towards getting the Photon. I am praying that I get one with a non obvious Pentile screen and no calling/receiving issues. I am always shocked by the number of issues new phones come out with. As a former Pre owner, I'm no stranger to problems but I'm getting tired of always waiting for updates to fix common stuff!

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Fortunately, i haven't had any dropped calls on my 3VO yet but people are telling me they can hear massive background noise in relatively quiet restaurants. That suggests the noise canceling mic is not functioning too well. I am definitely leaning towards getting the Photon. I am praying that I get one with a non obvious Pentile screen and no calling/receiving issues. I am always shocked by the number of issues new phones come out with. As a former Pre owner, I'm no stranger to problems but I'm getting tired of always waiting for updates to fix common stuff!

I so agree with you. My OG EVO worked great! The only flaw was that it had light leakage at the bottom. My other 2 are flawless. I loved the EV 3D form factor and it's screen. The weather app was nice too but those were the only good things I can say about it.

My Photon is pretty awsome. It has it's problems, but like you said....what new phone doesn't any more? I found that removing the sim card fixes the call/no sound issue. It would happen regularly but it hasn't done it in 4 days since I removed it. The proximity issue happens here and there. While a problem and should be fixed, isn't a deal breaker and a reboot fixes it. Besides, my son now uses my old pre and still works great!

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
It is really bothering me to think I may have to remove features (ie. Sim card, Google Voice, etc.) or frequently reboot the Photon in order to make and receive calls! I also hate the thought of having to turn off stuff (ie. bluetooth, GPS, WIFI, screen brightness, etc.) to save battery life. This stuff *almost* makes me want to just get a dumb phone that just works and call it a day! I rarely had problems with my old Nextel phones!

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
It is really bothering me to think I may have to remove features (ie. Sim card, Google Voice, etc.) or frequently reboot the Photon in order to make and receive calls! I also hate the thought of having to turn off stuff (ie. bluetooth, GPS, WIFI, screen brightness, etc.) to save battery life. This stuff *almost* makes me want to just get a dumb phone that just works and call it a day! I rarely had problems with my old Nextel phones!

With the Photon, there isn't much which needs to be turned off. I've installed Juice Defender - Battery Saver (from market) and my phone hasn't been on the charger for 15 hrs now and I use my phone a LOT for EVERYthing!

As far as the PenTile screen- the Photon has one of the brightest screens I've ever come across in a phone. It's been advised to turn brightness completely down and disable auto brightness. With that said, I don't see the "screen door" other people see.

This is coming from someone who had the EVO 4g and 3D. The EVO 4G- phenominal phone but I refuse to keep paying $100 every time the USB port decides it'd rather break off the motherboard. I am not abuse in any way to my phones and this little profit making port ...I mean defect is what made me deflect from my E4G.

I was NOT impressed with the *successor* (E3D)....I understand a few things may not be perfect out the box; call quality shouldn't be one of them. Pictures were equally as bad. Mine were either blue, green or yellow tones- no matter what lighting I was in.

I am sincerely happy with the Photon. I devoted all of 5 min of my time playing with one in the store while my purchase was rung up. My purchase was based on a cult like following of this phone so I knew I was going to get it the minute it hit the shelves (or in the case of Sprint- locked cabinet). :D

bonanzabucks

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I just replaced my Epic for a Photon. Basically, my Epic died on me as the software kept looping itself and I just couldn't get anything done. The Epic was a great phone and I'm going to miss it a lot, especially the hackability, but the battery life was pretty bad and Samsung has a really bad reputation of updating their software.

I've only had the Photon for half a day and I've been really impressed. It's just so fast. I haven't had any problems with calls or anything and I really cant comment on the battery life, but it seems pretty decent. We'll have to see. Still considering returning it when the S2 comes out, but I am satisfied with my new Photon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch