Phone App on the Pixel 8 is really Bad, missing important calls

R1945

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I keep missing important calls with this phone app. The phone does not ring, no notification of the call suntil after the call hangs up, then call show in recents.

Example, my Pharmacy on a call back called me twice, no ring, no way to answer, completely lost both calls.

This phone app needs some major work. It is absolutely terrible.

How come calls from my Pharmacy are not ringing. This is not good.

Pharmacy calls should not be processed as Spam. How do I fix this???

Comments?????

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you look at the call history, do those calls show up as screened or spam? Or do they not show up at all?

In the Phone app's settings, look under Call Screen -- what level is it set to? If it's Maximum, try decreasing to Medium. Maximum will screen all unknown numbers, including any business you don't already have in your Contacts. Medium will only screen "suspicious" calls, which is based on Google's database and other factors based on Google's algorithms -- a pharmacy usually fall under this umbrella.

You can also try adding the pharmacy's number to your Contacts list.

If the calls don't show up at all in the Call History, it may be more of an issue with your carrier, rather than the Phone app. I would discuss this with your carrier's support team if that's the case.

R1945

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I can not believe more people are not complaining about how horrible this phone app is!!!!!!!! It is really horrible. In the last two days I have missed important calls from my doctors, one call went to voicemail, never rang, the other call same issue. I also missed an important call from my wife from her iphone. The phone is not ringing. I have it set to a loud ring tone, and have tested calling from my home phone, rings perfectly. This is bad. Google needs to take a look at this app. In my opinion it is the weakest link in this phone. I prefer to have the option to block calls, and not have google make any decisions on the calls I receive. This is a very flawed application. How do I set this up so all my calls ring through and I can flag them as spam and block them if I choose not to receive them.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I can not believe more people are not complaining about how horrible this phone app is!!!!!!!! It is really horrible. In the last two days I have missed important calls from my doctors, one call went to voicemail, never rang, the other call same issue. I also missed an important call from my wife from her iphone. The phone is not ringing. I have it set to a loud ring tone, and have tested calling from my home phone, rings perfectly. This is bad. Google needs to take a look at this app. In my opinion it is the weakest link in this phone. I prefer to have the option to block calls, and not have google make any decisions on the calls I receive. This is a very flawed application. How do I set this up so all my calls ring through and I can flag them as spam and block them if I choose not to receive them.
I think there's a very good reason why you don't see the complaints, and it's likely because a few simple settings changes will fix things for you. Start by answering the questions asked of you in reply to your original post. The community here is very good at getting to the root of problems.

Last edited:

R1945

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I checked all my setting. I have now turned off the auto screen calls, Do Not Disturb is off, ringer is on high volume so I can hear it. Blocked calls from unidentified callers with my long list is on. I assuming that only block calls from the add a number list. On my blackberry I could see a call and add it to blocked numbers. How do I do that on the Pixel. What setting am I missing???? This keeps happening missing important calls. Comments?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Blocked calls from unidentified callers with my long list is on. I assuming that only block calls from the add a number list
"Block calls from unidentified callers" would not have anything to do with any list you create. An unidentified caller is one that does not have an official caller ID or is not in your Contacts. These would be automatically blocked. If your pharmacist is somehow not being identified by caller ID (e.g., if they have caller ID blocking turned on) and is not in your Contacts (and by the way, I had previously suggested adding your pharmacy's number to your Contacts -- did you already try that?), then they would be blocked and not ring through.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I have had this issue back when I had the Pixel 6 Pro and now with the Pixel 8 Pro exactly as you described - phone doesn't ring, nothing at all happens, then all of a sudden I get a missed call notification. I'd call the person back and ask if the phone rang and they'd say no, it went straight to voicemail.

This is a known issue with Pixel phones since the Pixel 6 onwards. You'll see many posts on various message boards with people having the same issue.

As far as I'm aware, there's no way to 'fix' this. It might be a hardware issue related to the modem as it seems to work across Pixel phones with Tensor processors/Samsung modems across the world on different carriers.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
It might be a hardware issue related to the modem as it seems to work across Pixel phones with Tensor processors/Samsung modems across the world on different carriers.
I'm confused about this sentence. Are you saying this is an issue with Pixel phones with Tensor processors and Samsung modems across the world?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused about this sentence. Are you saying this is an issue with Pixel phones with Tensor processors and Samsung modems across the world?
It definitely is in the UK. Pixel phones doing Pixel things. We have a lot of Exynos Samsung phones as well, and the issue doesn't seem as bad with them... which I find odd.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
All Tensor processors have Samsung modems. I can't diagnose if it's an issue with the processor, the modem or the software, but something is up. All I know is that I've had Pixel phones that weren't on Tensor/Samsung modems and never had this issue. Then I moved to the first Tensor/Samsung modem powered Pixel on the Pixel 6 Pro and had the issue. Now with the Pixel 8 Pro, it still does.

edubfromktown

Sep 18, 2020
Visit site

Pixel phones have Samsung-manufactured Tensor processors and modems. The 3rd gen finally dissipates heat better than past iterations (though still too warm under longer term higher demand usage compared to other devices).

Samsung sells Exynos processor-based S-series phones in Europe. In the US, all S23 models use the still superior performing Qualcomm processors and modems. The newest gen Exynos processors supposedly do a better job of things and some may be used in selected S24 models.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Pixel phones have Samsung-manufactured Tensor processors and modems. The 3rd gen finally dissipates heat better than past iterations (though still too warm under longer term higher demand usage compared to other devices).

Samsung sells Exynos processor-based S-series phones in Europe. In the US, all S23 models use the still superior performing Qualcomm processors and modems. The newest gen Exynos processors supposedly do a better job of things and some may be used in selected S24 models.
My understanding is that the Tensor G3 doesn't dissipate heat any better, it's just more aggressive in thermally throttling it. So they'll dial down the chip sooner at a lower heat than previous Pixels.

edubfromktown

Sep 18, 2020
Visit site
My understanding is that the Tensor G3 doesn't dissipate heat any better, it's just more aggressive in thermally throttling it. So they'll dial down the chip sooner at a lower heat than previous Pixels.
Minimal improvement that may help to some extent.

Tensor G3 chip is based on Samsung’s 4-nanometer (4nm) fabrication process. Tensor G2 is fabricated on Samsung’s 5nm process.

A smaller value indicates better power efficiency so long as the same or a similar process makes the chip.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I have had this issue back when I had the Pixel 6 Pro and now with the Pixel 8 Pro exactly as you described - phone doesn't ring, nothing at all happens, then all of a sudden I get a missed call notification.

Yep couple of weeks ago I brought my mom to the doctor for a procedure. The office calls when she's ready to be driven home. I was surprised when I saw a missed call notification. And I know for a fact the phone never rang. Just went straight to voicemail.

Ever since then, I don't trust Pixels enough to be my primary phone. .