Photon automatically turns on when plugging in to charge

frozndevl

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Whenever I plug my powered down Photon in to charge, it boots up. Is there a way to disable this; when I am at work I can only charge via usb, and the actual battery drain outpaces the charge it receives so I need to turn off to have my phone usable.

itsrayray

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Possible to boot into recovery and turn off screen to reduce battery drain? Just a thought.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
What app(s) do you have installed which makes the battery outpace the charging? How can/do you use your phone? Mine will do this now and then and I have to just uninstall the culprit and I'm back again.

MarcD#AC

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
only 5% an hour with airplane mode on? you have some mega battery drain going on...i know USB charge is slow, but even with 4g on and streaming pandora for 4+ hours combinded constant facebook/twitter, internet browser, I get at least 10% an hour while hooked up on USB

frozndevl

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Put your phone on charge then turn it off. See if that works...

Tried that, the phone turns back on immediately.

only 5% an hour with airplane mode on? you have some mega battery drain going on...i know USB charge is slow, but even with 4g on and streaming pandora for 4+ hours combinded constant facebook/twitter, internet browser, I get at least 10% an hour while hooked up on USB

Not even that, it doesn't actually add any charge. I am convinced that when my phone gets too low, my usb charging fromt he laptop doesn't really do much. All I was doing was playing a little AB, well a lot, but that shouldn't outpace the charge. I also roam when I am at work so I am using the radio a bit harder than normal.

I actually haven't been all that impressed with the overall battery life I have been getting with the Photon relative to my old Evo. When I check what is using the most juice, Display is always the top dog with somewhere north of 60%. For example, I just took my phone off the charger. Been on for 22 minutes, display is at 15% of usage with only 1m24s of time on. This is at low brightness.

MarcD#AC

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Tried that, the phone turns back on immediately.

Not even that, it doesn't actually add any charge. I am convinced that when my phone gets too low, my usb charging fromt he laptop doesn't really do much. All I was doing was playing a little AB, well a lot, but that shouldn't outpace the charge. I also roam when I am at work so I am using the radio a bit harder than normal.

I actually haven't been all that impressed with the overall battery life I have been getting with the Photon relative to my old Evo. When I check what is using the most juice, Display is always the top dog with somewhere north of 60%. For example, I just took my phone off the charger. Been on for 22 minutes, display is at 15% of usage with only 1m24s of time on. This is at low brightness.

are you sure the usb cable you have is good? i cant think of anything else besides a bad cable...AB is a battery killer, but it should at least be able to keep pace with the charge...

frozndevl

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I didn't consider the cable part of things. I am using an HTC cable that I had from my Evo, but not sure if cable manufacturer matters at all. I didn't think it did.

MarcD#AC

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
i dont think it does either...im using a cheap chinese cable i bought off amazon while at work, and a samsung cable at home...im stupmed as to why youre charging so slow...thats the only thing i can think of

frozndevl

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't help that the increments are only in multiples of 10 which makes it hard to make any sort of judgement on how long something is actually lasting.

dorelse

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Hmm...I stream IHeartRadio all day at work. I started at 70% this morning, and 3 hours later, I'm 100% charged.

I have played movies before while hooked up to my laptop's USB port for charging, and its slow, but it definitely makes progress charging the phone.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
something weird about the USB port he is using? Some app he is running that chews through power?

It sounds weird to me, too.

frozndevl

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I think I may have figured it out. I've been using Go Launcher for a while now and recently started using their lock screen alternative. I have seen numerous reports that one or the other chews through the battery and if there is a problem with the lockscreen, that could explain my high display usage %.

Edit: Just looked at my overall usage graph using Battery Snap, and I don't know if it's just me, but that is pretty consistent battery drainage even with some on the charge, some off, and some times get more usage than others.

Last edited: