Best 3g sprint phone?

knickrox13

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking about making the switch to android but I have an issue.

I cannot get a 4g/LTE/WiMAX phone on sprint, so I am looking for advice on the best 3g-only sprint android devices. I feel as if there is no comparison from what I am looking for to the Nexus S and the EVO 3D (both great phones, both 4g), which sucks.

However, is there anything androidcentral can tell/show me about upcoming sprint 3g devices or advice on which one is the best that is available now?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Very good question. Actually any of the phones that offer 4g also support 3g. So if the EVO 3D or Nexus S 4G was something you were interested in then you can still go after it and enjoy the device minus 4g. If its a problem of 4g not being offered in your area then that will eventually change. If its a matter of not wanting to be locked into the extra $10 month data package add on for these phones that is not necessarily directed at just 4g its also involving smartphones in general that are known to be on the higher data usage.

Hope this helps clear up a few questions of yours. I'm sure other members will chime in and share their thoughts and suggestions.

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Sprint doesn't have a high-end 3G phone - they use their best phones as bait to get you to bite on their expensive service plans. You're looking at a mid-tier device for 3G-only.

Their best 3G phone today is probably the Motorola Admiral (mil-spec, excellent radio, gorilla glass, 1.2 Ghz processor, sprint DC). If you prefer a slider it's probably the Samsung Transform Ultra.

Some Sprint plans DO charge extra for 4G data (SERO). You have to pay an extra $10/mo. "premium data" fee for having a 4G phone whether 4G is available in your area or not.

Since Sprint has decided to roll out LTE later this year WiMax expansion has ground to a halt. If you live in an area that doesn't have WiMax now, it won't get WiMax. Don't use your contract renewal credit to buy a WiMax 4G phone thinking you'll be able to use it for 4G eventually. Your 4G WiMax phone will only get 3G and won't be able to use the new LTE network for 4G speeds. Wait for the one of Sprint's 16 NEW LTE phones to roll out later this year. This doesn't apply if your area is already served by WiMax - Sprint will continue to support their existing WiMax network through 2015.

Last edited:

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Sprint doesn't have a high-end 3G phone - they use their best phones as bait to get you to bite on their expensive service plans. You're looking at a mid-tier device for 3G-only.

Do some homework, Sprint plans are cheaper than AT&T or Verizon
Their best 3G phone today is probably the Motorola Admiral (mil-spec, excellent radio, gorilla glass, 1.2 Ghz processor, sprint DC). If you prefer a slider it's probably the Samsung Transform Ultra.

Some Sprint plans DO charge extra for 4G data (SERO). You have to pay an extra $10/mo. "premium data" fee for having a 4G phone whether 4G is available in your area or not.
SERO has nothing to do with 4G, SERO is the Sprint Employee Referral Offer. And, you have to pay the "premium data" fee for any smartphone except the Reclaim. I have the Admiral (not 4G) and my wife has the HP/Palm Pre (not 4G), they forced us both to pay the extra $10/mo.
Since Sprint has decided to roll out LTE later this year WiMax expansion has ground to a halt. If you live in an area that doesn't have WiMax now, it won't get WiMax. Don't use your contract renewal credit to buy a WiMax 4G phone thinking you'll be able to use it for 4G eventually. Your 4G WiMax phone will only get 3G and won't be able to use the new LTE network for 4G speeds. Wait for the one of Sprint's 16 NEW LTE phones to roll out later this year. This doesn't apply if your area is already served by WiMax - Sprint will continue to support their existing WiMax network through 2015.
16 NEW phones?

Reactions: theblizzard2009
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

SERO has nothing to do with 4G, SERO is the Sprint Employee Referral Offer. And, you have to pay the "premium data" fee for any smartphone except the Reclaim. I have the Admiral (not 4G) and my wife has the HP/Palm Pre (not 4G), they forced us both to pay the extra $10/mo.

16 NEW phones?

Excellent! an individual with knowledge!

Might I add to the mix, a smartphone = $10+ fee (nothing to do with 4G, yes it used to, circa 2010)

So, my question to the original poster, why is 4G out of the question? Because if you get a 3G smartphone, your paying the SAME dollar for dollar as if it were a 4G ready phone.

.... and i'll just go ahead and assume your not considering a clam shell elderly device.

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

I guess reading comprehension isn't your strong-suit. I said NOTHING about the price OR value of Sprint's plans. I DID say that their 3G phones are mid-tier - no dual-core processors, no 4"+ touchscreens, no 8 megapixel cameras, no AMOLED displays - all these features are reserved for their 4G phones.

SERO has nothing to do with 4G, SERO is the Sprint Employee Referral Offer. And, you have to pay the "premium data" fee for any smartphone except the Reclaim.

Strike TWO. From Russ Maguire's blog (see his post of 1/09/12 on the bottom of the page:

"Any smartphone will require a premium plan (SERO premium) (exception: old windows mobile phones)
All 4G smartphones and these 3G smartphones will also require $10 add-on (SERO premium data) : iPhone, Samsung Transform Ultra, Express from Sprint."

Again, for the reading comprehension impaired - pricing for SERO plans is DIFFERENT than pricing for non-SERO plans. Russ is a vice-president at Sprint so it's more likely that he knows what he's talking about than you do based on your experiences with your non-SERO plan. Note: the Transform Ultra and Sprint Express weren't included on the $10 SERO premium data requirement before this posting.

16 NEW phones?

It's more accurate to say devices. A quick search didn't turn up the article that quoted 16, but here's one that quotes 15:

Sprint expects 15 LTE devices (a combination of phones, tablets and mobile hotspots) to be available by the end of 2012.

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I guess reading comprehension isn't your strong-suit. I said NOTHING about the price OR value of Sprint's plans. I DID say that their 3G phones are mid-tier - no dual-core processors, no 4"+ touchscreens, no 8 megapixel cameras, no AMOLED displays - all these features are reserved for their 4G phones.

Strike TWO. From Russ Maguire's blog (see his post of 1/09/12 on the bottom of the page:

"Any smartphone will require a premium plan (SERO premium) (exception: old windows mobile phones)
All 4G smartphones and these 3G smartphones will also require $10 add-on (SERO premium data) : iPhone, Samsung Transform Ultra, Express from Sprint."

Again, for the reading comprehension impaired - pricing for SERO plans is DIFFERENT than pricing for non-SERO plans. Russ is a vice-president at Sprint so it's more likely that he knows what he's talking about than you do based on your experiences with your non-SERO plan. Note: the Transform Ultra and Sprint Express weren't included on the $10 SERO premium data requirement before this posting.

It's more accurate to say devices. A quick search didn't turn up the article that quoted 16, but here's one that quotes 15:

Sprint expects 15 LTE devices (a combination of phones, tablets and mobile hotspots) to be available by the end of 2012.

Lol, did you, or did you not say "they use their best phones as bait to get you to bite on their expensive service plans."

Sounds like price/value there to me sir.

And it is completely safe to say, if it's a smart phone, it costs $10 extra, regardless of SERO not SERO, your mom, your dad, your uncle.

Yes Sprint has a few twerty echo friendly smartphones they aren't charging the $10 fee for, but c'mon, those are 'promotional' offers. They don't count!

I suggest you go hold your breathe. And continue without inhaling, ever..

PS, my 27% discount = i pay less than your SERO account.... bite me.

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Lol, did you, or did you not say "they use their best phones as bait to get you to bite on their expensive service plans."

Sounds like price/value there to me sir.

Apples and oranges - 4G phones costing more than 3G phones on some Sprint plans is:

a) True
b) Says nothing about the cost/value of their plans relative to their competitors.

And it is completely safe to say, if it's a smart phone, it costs $10 extra, regardless of SERO not SERO, your mom, your dad, your uncle.

Yes Sprint has a few twerty echo friendly smartphones they aren't charging the $10 fee for, but c'mon, those are 'promotional' offers. They don't count!

Apples and oranges. The $10 premium data fee != $10 SERO premium data fee !=SERO premium fee.

It's one thing to pay and extra $10/mo to own a smartphone. Paying an extra $20/mo. when you could be paying $10/mo. is DUMB.

The point of this thread is to help the OP stay in 3G on the Sprint network. I'm the only one who actually SUGGESTED PHONES that MEETS HIS REQUIREMENTS. Spouting off misinformation about Sprint plans and pricing doesn't help anyone.

PS, my 27% discount = i pay less than your SERO account.... bite me.

You're not very good at math either.

The cheapest public plan Sprint offers with unlimited data is 450 minutes for $69.99/mo. With your 27% discount that's $51.09. SERO premium w/500 minutes and unlimited data is $40/mo. Even with the premium data fee it's only $50/mo.

$50.00<$51.09
450<500

In the unlikely event that you have a non-public plan combined with your corporate discount - enjoy it while it lasts - Sprint is actively auditing accounts and BANNING customers for abuse!

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Apples and oranges - 4G phones costing more than 3G phones on some Sprint plans is:

a) True
b) Says nothing about the cost/value of their plans relative to their competitors.

Apples and oranges. The $10 premium data fee != $10 SERO premium data fee !=SERO premium fee.

It's one thing to pay and extra $10/mo to own a smartphone. Paying an extra $20/mo. when you could be paying $10/mo. is DUMB.

The point of this thread is to help the OP stay in 3G on the Sprint network. I'm the only one who actually SUGGESTED PHONES that MEETS HIS REQUIREMENTS. Spouting off misinformation about Sprint plans and pricing doesn't help anyone.

You're not very good at math either.

The cheapest public plan Sprint offers with unlimited data is 450 minutes for $69.99/mo. With your 27% discount that's $51.09. SERO premium w/500 minutes and unlimited data is $40/mo. Even with the premium data fee it's only $50/mo.

$50.00<$51.09
450<500

In the unlikely event that you have a non-public plan combined with your corporate discount - enjoy it while it lasts - Sprint is actively auditing accounts and BANNING customers for abuse!

Goes to show you know not of who you speak to online.

I pay less than you...

And the only thing getting banned, is me from this forum!

Eat it dip !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa