White House petition to unlock all phones.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hope it goes through. This is the reason I left Sprint... Telling me they simply won't unlock my 100% full price bought phone. Ridiculous.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
You do realize most if not all of Verizon most recent lte phones come unlocked right ? And you can unlock sprint lte phones for international use as well. ....

OK. But the point of this proposed law is to be able to unlock a device to port from one carrier to another, such as using an AT&T device on T-Mobile. That is not possible on CDMA. Try using a Verizon device on Sprint or vice versa. Only works on gsm

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
OK. But the point of this proposed law is to be able to unlock a device to port from one carrier to another, such as using an AT&T device on T-Mobile. That is not possible on CDMA. Try using a Verizon device on Sprint or vice versa. Only works on gsm

The point is to unlock the phone for use anywhere ie using a sprint global phone on ANY CARRIER. Doesn't mean using it on Verizon OMG !! Any carriers means using a global sprint phone on a gsm carrier. The only reason Verizon unlocks their phones is because of the FCC. This would hopefully allow a sprint iPhone 5s to be unlocked for use on domestic and international use out the box. ....

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
The point is to unlock the phone for use anywhere ie using a sprint global phone on ANY CARRIER. Doesn't mean using it on Verizon OMG !! Any carriers means using a global sprint phone on a gsm carrier. The only reason Verizon unlocks their phones is because of the FCC. This would hopefully allow a sprint iPhone 5s to be unlocked for use on domestic and international use out the box. ....

Wow! So much wrong with your statement.
1. Sprint only has like 1 global phone, its crappy & it costs a fortune.
2. Where would you put the GSM required SIM card in a Sprint phone?
3. global = international = outside the US. The FCC & Obama have no control over the networks outside the US
4. Did you even read the article that YOU linked to?
5. I mentioned Verizon since Sprint & Verizon are the only CDMA carriers in the US. AT&T and T-Mobile are the GSM carriers (as well as a few other small ones here & there)

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Wow we are talking about GOING FORWARD and not about phones already out WOW!!! Forward thinkers such as myself will as I've already mentioned state the obvious. THE IPHONE 5s!!! HELLO! Sprints version has pretty much the MOST BANDS then any version which if UNLOCKED could be used on ANY NETWORK. HELLO. DING DING. and yes OBAMA ETC can very well have an affect on phones that can be used in foreign countries. HELLO!! If someone didn't have to WAIT to get there phone unlocked for when they TRAVEL HELLO!! Then they can use their phones whenever out the box HELLO :)

Ps. Please waste your life elsewhere. I'm done :)

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Most likely its not gonna happen its our petition against the millions in lobbyist
Plus you wouldn't get lte on say at&t t mobile very few phones have a gsm band when on cdma you would most likely have horrible reception and low internet speeds
Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Ummm, that's because it's not possible to unlock a CDMA device. :confused:

It very much is possible. Take the HTC One and the Galaxy S4. Both have the CDMA radios and the GSM radios. When I threw in a T-Mobile SIM to my Sprint HTC One it would say the SIM is locked. If i could of had the phone unlocked by Sprint I would of been able to use it on T-Mobile or AT&T... But Sprint will only unlock for international carriers (on purpose) so you can't use your phone on AT&T or T-Mobile.

So yeah.. You can.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow! So much wrong with your statement.
1. Sprint only has like 1 global phone, its crappy & it costs a fortune.
2. Where would you put the GSM required SIM card in a Sprint phone?

1. HTC One and Galaxy S4
2. In the SIM card slot... That is... Provided since these phones have GSM radios as well as the CDMA. For an example see the below link where one of the good members on this forum with a Galaxy S4 had to have his SIM reprogrammed since a Sprint rep did it wrong and he couldn't get LTE.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=2974282

You really should keep up with your information before just flat out telling people they are wrong...

Last edited:

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
1. HTC One and Galaxy S4
2. In the SIM card slot... That is... Provided since these phones have GSM radios as well as the CDMA. For an example see the below link where one of the good members on this forum with a Galaxy S4 had to have his SIM reprogrammed since a Sprint rep did it wrong and he couldn't get LTE.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=2974282

You really should keep up with your information before just flat out telling people they are wrong...

The bigger question is do the radios support the bands the gsm carriers have? Take the droid dna on verizon it does support a few at&t bands lte is useless only supports edge or maybe hspa but its slow and spotty
What you need to do is for a one root s-off use super cid to change it to an at&t cid reprogram dns and apn settings and see if any devs have an at&t or t mobile radio

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The bigger question is do the radios support the bands the gsm carriers have? Take the droid dna on verizon it does support a few at&t bands lte is useless only supports edge or maybe hspa but its slow and spotty
What you need to do is for a one root s-off use super cid to change it to an at&t cid reprogram dns and apn settings and see if any devs have an at&t or t mobile radio

Yes it has the bands to work. It's also why this phone works international on GSM carriers.

My main thing is he is saying you can't unlock these phones and said Sprint has only 1 global roaming phone and then said there are no SIM cards which back in the day this was true for CDMA... Not always the case now.... So his statements are wrong and he called someone out for trolling when they weren't.. They were right.

Last edited:

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
OK. I'll be man enough to admit that my info was dated. As far as calling him out on trolling, I'll just say read his history.

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I think it would be more of a benefit to petition google to only license android os as long as the user has the right to root access (a option in the settings menu?)

Posted via Android Central App

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Um.. The Carriers already do this! Within 2 days of your Contract ENDING, they will unlock your phone
U.S. Wireless Carriers Agree To Make Unlocking Your Cell Phone Easier

But you cannot just take any phone and unlock it and it will work with whomever you want.. They only come with specific bands that you can't just add or remove..

however, the IPHONE 5S is already compatible with all the major carriers...
Iphone 5s from AT&T/TMOBILE is 100% Compatible with ATT/TMOBILE and all Canadian Carriers and LTE/VOLTE only on Verizon.. the Verizon IPHONE 5S/5C is 100% compatible with ALL CARRIERS including Canada except SPRINT and sprint... is all alone
unlock.png

The Hope with LTE and VOLTE is that in the future, You won't need to go to Verizon or AT&T or SPRINT To buy a cell phone! With Verizon and SPRINT Both planning on Dropping CDMA! In the Future, you will go to best buy and see PHONES... You won't go to the Verizon section or AT&T Section, you will just see a clutter of phones, pick one and then the carrier...

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non