Converting from iphone to Atrix

mattkeaves

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm just posting this to see what others have thought. My Atrix is coming on Monday.

Any tips for an Android Newbie? I can't wait to smash the iPhone against the wall Monday night. I will never buy another Apple product.

What do I need to keep an eye out for after I turn it on.

Are there any gotcha's taking info off of the iphone and moving it to Android?

Any tips on best practices with Android?

Should I worry about Battery life?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Matt

Lason

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
battery life should not be an issue with this phone, its got a pretty heft battery on it already. Normally I would suggest a task killer app first but the atrix already has one from what I understand.

Only suggestion I can give ya is hit up the app market and start looking around. A few suggestions for apps would be Astro for viewing all the files on your SD card, depending on how the text client is you could try handcent sms client, of course pandora radio, quadrant benchmark so you can blow away the other phones on the list and show your nerd friends :D and tapatalk pro if your a big forum reader.

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a google apps email addy. Will this work as my login when it comes in? I am also a android virgin, I have had the iPhones since they first came out.

waltercln

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
same for me, although i still like apple, I'm bored with it and know android is more for me.

battery life should not be an issue with this phone, its got a pretty heft battery on it already. Normally I would suggest a task killer app first but the atrix already has one from what I understand.

does it really have one? in one of the ces videos i saw someone use the advance task killer app.

hotleadsingerguy

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
You'll want to sync everything up to the Google servers first...then when you get your phone ready you just log in to your Google account and it'll sync it all up to your phone. It will instantly sync up everything in the future (add a contact and it will immediately be added online. Add something on the internet and it'll immediately add it on your phone).

Use iTunes to sync up all your stuff, then hit Export on the various programs to export them into Google (Address Book and Outlook both export very easily). All of the Google apps have easy imports (contacts.google.com, calendar.google.com, etc...). I usually keep everything synced up on Google anyway, but yesterday I transferred everything from my iPhone to Google again (using the export/import process on everything) and it took *maybe* 5 minutes.

Reactions: waltercln

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Id recommend getting yourself a Gmail address. When you get an Android phone, its only right to get Gmail. Your whole life will turn into Google and no more Apple. Its an awesome feeling, everything synes perfectly!

Super battery life on this device as this one is comming with a huge battery. If you still wanna keep it in check, set your display brightness to Automatic. The screen is the biggest burdon on battery life.

Start looking around the internet, or this forum for Widgets that will work with the type of stuff you like. Basically like if you want these items on your homescreen.......Calendar Monthly Widget, Email Widget, Contacts Widget, etc do a search. Androids got them all.

Get ready to start feeding your addiction because once you start messing with it, its gonna open up a whole new world for you.

Reactions: waltercln

waltercln

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
thanks to everyone for the info for new users like myself, it's much needed.

quick question on killing the apps on android, might be dumb question but i might as well be 100% sure. On the iphone to kill an app it's simple to open the app tray and check it off. However, on the android i understand that its true multitasking so it needs to be closed if it's not in use, unlike the iphone.

how do you close apps on android, without using the taskiller app?

corneliusm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
For a phone with 1 GB of ram, a task killer is unnecessary. I used to use a task killer on my Nexus One, but saw no difference in performance and battery life. Personally, I think the Android system does an excellent job of killing stale processes in the background, so you don't have to worry about them. Besides, the phone runs smoother if you just let AndroidOs to do its thing.

If you're new to Android, I'd suggest getting a Google account (GMail, etc) beforehand and migrate your contacts into the Google system (this can be done through GMail, and there may be plenty of iPhone apps that can do this automatically for you). One of the greatest benefits to Android is the integration with Google apps and sync. As long as your phone has your login credentials, your email, calendar, contacts, and more will be accessible the moment you login on your phone for the very first time.

Optionally but recommended: you can set up your Google voice number (free unlimited SMS and visual voicemail) and record a voicemail greeting.

Jim Ahrman

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
To Kill an app...just go to prompt and type in: kill -9 1
.. init 0 would work...or ps -ef | grep -v grep | grep -i init |awk '{print "kill -9 " $2}'
Yes.. just joking :-D

Rich Rasp

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Now I know the atrix will have 16 gb on board... I wonder how much of that can be used for aoo install..? Hope its not like the inspire... that thing has 4gb and only one of them can be used for apps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch