Gmail Frequency?

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Newbie to Android question (came from BB).
How do you get gmail to check for messages more frequently? I know it eats up battery but, I just got an e-mail notification on my phone. Since I was near my computer, I went to read and reply to the e-mail here at the PC. However, to my surprise, when I opened the e-mail it said "sent 13 minutes ago". The 3 minutes could've been me typing up a reply and being interrupted during it, so perhaps the e-mail notification on my phone was ~10 minutes later than when the e-mail was actually sent.

Is there a way around this?
In the g-mail app that came with the phone, I don't see any settings about pulling/polling/pushing/whathaveyou.

Thanks guys.

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Gmail is pushed to your phone if you set it up in the gmail application and you shouldn't have to change anything. I've been with android for about a year now and it seems like this happens occasionally without any reason that I can see. Doesn't happen any more frequently than what I experienced with bberry

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the insightful response Jess! Glad to know this. I feel better now. Thought I needed to change some setting somewhere and wasn't finding it.

Blackberry was ridiculous with this issue. Every other day on crackberry.com the front page would say "RIM Server outage? Are YOU experiencing it? Sound off in the forums!"...I mean, all. the. time!

Hopefully I won't experience this quite as much here on Android with gmail. Thanks again!

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
No problem...i actually will receive them on my phone before they show up on my inbox online

Welcome to Android...hopefully your experience will only get better

teleclimber

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah RIM was terrible. Always down. Plus, they wouldn't let you poll your email from a personal server more often than every 15 minutes (or something like that). Now I get my gmail pushed, and my email from my business server pushed as well over IMAP. In both cases I get the email on the phone before it shows up anywhere else. And there is no middle-man that can potentially go down. Brilliant.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Guys, I'm experiencing this problem once again right now. I'm in the middle of a conversation through e-mails using the stock gmail app on the phone, and sometimes it will alert me and sometimes it will not. I hadn't heard back from the person for awhile, so I checked online....sure enough, she replied 11 minutes ago. This is beginning to get to me now...
It seems great for the occasional e-mail, but if you're having an actual conversation via e-mail it really sucks...is there honestly nothing I can do to prevent this from reoccurring? It hasn't only happened twice (my first post and this post)...it's happened quite a few times. I'm getting tired of it.

That, and some other issues with my phone are starting to make me wonder if I made the right choice. :( I like this phone but I'm beginning to wonder if it's Android that I like, or the Atrix that I like. (first android phone)

EDIT: Could this be at all related to the atrix's weird connection issues? Like losing wifi easily and/or not handling the trade-off between wifi & 3G/EDGE signal well...etc etc?

Also, I'd like to add that when I go into the gmail app and manually refresh, the e-mail is immediately shown, of course.

MrLee

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
You know, I did notice it on the Atrix too. But last week on my Captivate, I was having the issues too, so I'm not sure if it's phone-specific.

Some emails weren't pushed on time. I had to do a manual refresh. Sometimes it pushes fine (when I tested it with another account).

Not sure what's going on as this happens sporadically.

Server-side delay, maybe?

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
One thing I've noticed that might pertain to this is if you happen to pick the phone up and open Gmail at the same time an email is coming through the email doesn't show up in the inbox folder. If you will look in the All Mail folder the email is hung up there for some reason. I noticed this with the Matrix and my N1 so I would assume it is an OS issue and not a phone issue. This could have been part of OPs most recent issue?!?!

illmatic41

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed this problem also...but it wasn't just on the Atrix, it also happens on the NexusOne. What is really appalling is that my iPhone4 in airplane mode with wifi on synced with Google's exchange server gets my gmail faster than the Android phones and the laptop browser. Sometimes I only know I got a new email when I hear that iPhone sound.

aa62579

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Just for grins, may want to make sure your phone is still set on Data Push and not a Fetch Schedule.

Settings
Data Manager
Data Delivery
Email and Corporate Sync
Email Delivery

Make sure Data Push is checked. I think the shortest amount of time on the fetch schedule is 15 minutes. You may also want to look at the Sync over Wi-Fi only option to make sure it is not activated.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Just for grins, may want to make sure your phone is still set on Data Push and not a Fetch Schedule.

Settings
Data Manager
Data Delivery
Email and Corporate Sync
Email Delivery

Make sure Data Push is checked. I think the shortest amount of time on the fetch schedule is 15 minutes. You may also want to look at the Sync over Wi-Fi only option to make sure it is not activated.

When I get to "Email and Corporate Sync" it is greyed out, non-selectable. Maybe that's for other e-mail accounts? I'm only using gmail. :\
However, the wifi thing is selectable (under social applications) and right now it's unchecked. Should I check it? edit: Nevermind, just re-read your comment. I'll keep it unchecked as it is.

Thanks for all these replies guys. Hopefully if it's an OS issue it will get fixed, but even if it will, it probably won't be any time soon...

aa62579

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Sorry it didn't work. I do have both set up on my phone, so maybe it is only my work email that controls.

I don't think you want the wifi thing checked or it will only send the messages when you have wifi.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
^Yeah, definitely don't want that. Thanks for the suggestions/ideas :)
I guess I will just have to rely on texts to be more accurately timed than e-mails, unfortunately. If anyone else has any other ideas, please do share.

Thanks everyone.

P.S: Jess, thank you for that idea about happening to pick up the phone and opening gmail when an e-mail is coming through, and it not showing up in my inbox. However, that's not the case for me :\ I'm having my phone sitting right next to me or in my lap, in the middle of a conversation via e-mail in which the phone has been properly alerting me, and then I'm not hearing from the person for quite awhile. If I go to my PC upstairs and open up web gmail, there's been an e-mail waiting for me for any amount of time, as I've said sometimes ~10 mins sometimes closer to 15. Or, instead of going upstairs to my PC, one time I manually refreshed the gmail app on the phone and an e-mail came through, in which the sent time was well before when it actually arrived. :\

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana