Motorola Atrix vs Nexus S?

Motorola Atrix vs Nexus S?

• Total voters

doubleblack#AC

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Greetings everyone, another migrant from CrackBerry here. I've had enough of the RIM koolaid, and just plain old feel behind. I got a BlackBerry because I felt behind not having a smartphone, and now I have a smartphone that's behind. Anyway, enough of my story...I need some help!

I really, really like the Nexus S...however the $550 price tag on one isn't sitting pretty with me, and it may be worth a contract extension (haven't extended my contract in over 4 years) to get a subsidized price. Problem is, I can't get the Nexus S subsidized...well, because you all know why. Then there is the horrible Android selection with AT&T. The Inspire isn't bad, but the screen is just too big. I don't want a huge brick in my pocket, I was something nimble and quick.

I'm slightly interested in the Atrix, as it has a similar form factor to the Nexus S, but I don't know how I feel about the encrypted bootloader, Blur UI, and the AT&T sideloading. In addition, it's already running outdated firmware, and I don't like how I would be locked into whatever software version Samsung/AT&T decides to release. Anyway, I need some experts opinions on this matter since I keep getting conflicting reviews and comparisons. I need some real life experience!

Nexus S
+ Always latest Android OS; can also load non-market apps
+ NFC support
+ Stock google experience phone; no GUI overlay
- Costs an arm and a leg
- Only available from Negri

Moto Atrix
+ Much better price, with contract renewal
+ Better hardware; better battery life
- Blur UI; delayed OS updates
- Can't root and install newer OS or ROM without sideloading/restrictions
- AT&T sideloading, restricted to approved market apps

I know n00bs come on here all the time and ask the same question, I assure you I'm not a n00b at all...just keep seeing conflicting reviews of each, and was wanting to put them head-to-head so I can make the best informed decision possible. I look forward to your valuable input, thanks!

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I say get the Atrix. I was at best buy tonight and had the opportunity to try out their demo Nexus S side by side with my Atrix. My Atrix felt more responsive.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Dejavu.....motorola makes premium radios, and the nexus S lack of SD card blows, but I still vote nexus S.

attweco

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm seriously considering the Nexus S, as a replacement for my Atrix. I like the specs for the Nexus S, and I've heard so many good things about it.

I like my Atrix, but I don't like the muffled sound defect and the intermittent screen defect, none of which Motorola will even acknowledge exists. This will definitely be my LAST Motorola product.

The Nexus S for ATT bands has not been officially released by Samsung, and I'm not gonna lay down that kind of money for a phone I can't try out, in person. I've already got one defective phone! As soon as I can get Nexus S at Best Buy, or some other brick-and-mortar storefront, I'll have a hands-on, and then make my decision.

I hope the official release of Nexus S for ATT bands is soon, because I wanna be able to get at least a few dollars for my Atrix on eBay. At the rate the price is dropping for a new Atrix, they are gonna be giving them away, soon!

LavallavaL

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
My two cents

My vote goes to the Atrix, and I chose it myself for the following reasons:

HDMI: Media playback on a TV/AVR is the best feature you could ever hope for on a smart phone. Trust me, you'll use it.
Storage: SD card slot adds storage, and gives flexibility to choose how much you put in and pay for.
Display: Better resolution makes it possible to read smaller fonts, so less zooming is required to read a text. qHD is really nice to have.
Power: Battery has great specs, and it "delivers".
Hardware: "Gorilla glass". Responsive touch screen. Speaker plays loud and well.

Generally speaking, Motorola sells good, tough, and lasting gear. My last Moto was still alive and well after 7 years of punishing treatment. I switched to the Atrix because of the HDMI hookup, and have discovered a phone so good at portable computing, that I sold my Netbook. Motorola's main caveat is it's sync software, which, personally, I do not care for.

I can't speak to the problems of rooting, as nothing compels me do so. Also, I can't really comment on the AT&T related issues, because I am not in the 'States.