question regarding home screen launchers

crisg723

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to the Android platform after spending my last 5 years with a few Windows Mobile devices and then a few Blackberries. I was interested in getting either Launcher pro or ADW launcher as most people say Motoblur sucks, although i find it to be ok (compared to BB anyway). But what I was wondering about launchers, is do they just run on top of Motoblur or do they actually run INSTEAD of Motoblur? I was afraid of extra battery and memory use having an alternative Launcher and Motoblur running at the same time. Can anyone shed any light towards this?

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Launchers such as ADW or Launcher Pro, will run on top of MotoBlur. MotoBlur isnt really that bad to be honest with you. I like it for its social networking integration. Using another launcher will not really effect the battery. But if you choose to install a different launcher, just take any widgets or icons you have on MotoBlurs screens, off. Then install "Home Switcher for Froyo" from the market so you can switch between launchers. I have both Launcher Pro and ADW EX and there great. I switch all around from time to time.

Reactions: bigoldthor

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Launchers such as ADW or Launcher Pro, will run on top of MotoBlur. MotoBlur isnt really that bad to be honest with you. I like it for its social networking integration. Using another launcher will not really effect the battery. But if you choose to install a different launcher, just take any widgets or icons you have on MotoBlurs screens, off. Then install "Home Switcher for Froyo" from the market so you can switch between launchers. I have both Launcher Pro and ADW EX and there great. I switch all around from time to time.

I have Launcher Pro and loving it. my battery is just the same as with motoblur. (im having actually a good battery life for the past couple weeks) So as i understand, motoblur isnt just a graphical theme, it has other services that are running on background and managing lots of functions of the phone. I was thinking though to load a custom rom like Adeo or Gingerblur, will they replace the motoblur or they're sort of like advanced themes? ideally, i would reaaaly love to be able to get a vanilla android on atrix. But i think its not possible yet... Terrigno would you recommend loading a custom Rom? thanks!

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to the Android platform after spending my last 5 years with a few Windows Mobile devices and then a few Blackberries. I was interested in getting either Launcher pro or ADW launcher as most people say Motoblur sucks, although i find it to be ok (compared to BB anyway). But what I was wondering about launchers, is do they just run on top of Motoblur or do they actually run INSTEAD of Motoblur? I was afraid of extra battery and memory use having an alternative Launcher and Motoblur running at the same time. Can anyone shed any light towards this?

Any app that is running will consume resources, but well made apps will use very little so you should not notice any drain or slow down. Launcher Pro and ADW are both well made apps that will not kill your battery or slow you down at all. Like said above, MotoBlur is not horrible, I just like to be able to customize my screens more. Launcher Pro and ADW let me do this. You will not be disappointed, it will boil down to your preference. Enjoy and welcome to android.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I have Launcher Pro and loving it. my battery is just the same as with motoblur. (im having actually a good battery life for the past couple weeks) So as i understand, motoblur isnt just a graphical theme, it has other services that are running on background and managing lots of functions of the phone. I was thinking though to load a custom rom like Adeo or Gingerblur, will they replace the motoblur or they're sort of like advanced themes? ideally, i would reaaaly love to be able to get a vanilla android on atrix. But i think its not possible yet... Terrigno would you recommend loading a custom Rom? thanks!

GladiAtrix is what you are looking for. It is plain old android. Adeo no longer has any support, the creator has moved on. GladiAtrix what became of it when someone else took over. I have not tried it, just passing along info that I have read....

Reactions: dalvik

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I have no issues with the stock motoblur, I actually prefer it to the optional launchers. Perhaps I am crazy, but it does seem to work fine for me.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
GladiAtrix is what you are looking for. It is plain old android. Adeo no longer has any support, the creator has moved on. GladiAtrix what became of it when someone else took over. I have not tried it, just passing along info that I have read....

Thanks a lot! i'll give it a try!

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I have no issues with the stock motoblur, I actually prefer it to the optional launchers. Perhaps I am crazy, but it does seem to work fine for me.

I like it too, the only reason I don't use it is bc like to set up 6 rows and 5 columns as opposed to 4 and 4. Just looks better IMO.

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
What ever happened to Spb Shell 3D? Did the cost discourage people from using it or did it not have the function of the other UI's/launchers? The latest ver. 1.0.4 seemed to fix a lot of issues.

jhzafrani

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
What ever happened to Spb Shell 3D? Did the cost discourage people from using it or did it not have the function of the other UI's/launchers? The latest ver. 1.0.4 seemed to fix a lot of issues.

I have it and must say that it is quite good. Especially on the Atrix because the processor power allows for a very smooth operation. It is a pure eye candy launcher for the phone and every launcher operation. Some of it's widgets/panels (they have panels that are not configurable as far as the look is concerned) are very useful, but also very resource intensive. I did see that the battery life was affected when using it.

Ultimately, I took it off since it is not as configurable or feature rich as the other launchers out there.

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have it and must say that it is quite good. Especially on the Atrix because the processor power allows for a very smooth operation. It is a pure eye candy launcher for the phone and every launcher operation. Some of it's widgets/panels (they have panels that are not configurable as far as the look is concerned) are very useful, but also very resource intensive. I did see that the battery life was affected when using it.

Ultimately, I took it off since it is not as configurable or feature rich as the other launchers out there.
So what launcher are you using now and which ones would you consider better than Spb Shell 3D, for features ease of navigation?