Wtf, battery life has gotten so bad

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
well its been a little over 15 hours now and battery is at 60% I plugged it for about 2 minutes to the PC to transfer some pictures (which I also took today) overall I am somewhat satisfied with the battery performance, The phone though does get a little hot at the processor area. I have to admit I used it slightly less than usual today. but I'm a really heavy user though LOL If anyone of you not happy with battery performance after the last update try to do a full reset of the phone. I actually read about it yesterday on motorola forums and did a reset...

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
If I do a factory reset, can I use TB to restore my apps and settings or do I have to start from scratch?

My battery is not bad it lasts me a good 14 hours with 30% left for my usage, but was just wondering if I could do better. Lol

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Well I never used TB i dont have that many apps installed anyway and besides, when I do the fqctory reset all my gameloft games cache remains intact... But I wouldn't recommend you to use any kind of back up just for this reset Its good to reinstall apps from scratch with new default settings etc. I think that pretty much applies to all computer systems LOL
btw i am just suggesting to do the factory reset as it seemed to improve the battery performance. But it may not work the same for everyone else... So if you guys feel like experimenting and have some free time and will to redownload/restore all your apps after reset feel free to do that LOL but dont blame me if you didnt notice any improvements

Last edited:
Reactions: ross.lafferty

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
guys, I made some screenshots of my battery stats just now.. take a look... I think the trick with factory reset definetely did it! I am close to having simular battery life as I had on my blackberry bold 9700 its really awesome.... (never mind the wierd colors, i used a trial version of "Screenshot it" which btw works perfectly with nonrooted atrix. and i didnt bother adjusting it...)
So like i said in my previous post, you may try to factory reset your phone if you dind't do it yet after the 1.83 update... and see how the battery will perform....
View attachment 9694

View attachment 9695

View attachment 9696

View attachment 9697

puja_g

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
guys, I made some screenshots of my battery stats just now.. take a look... I think the trick with factory reset definetely did it! I am close to having simular battery life as I had on my blackberry bold 9700 its really awesome.... (never mind the wierd colors, i used a trial version of "Screenshot it" which btw works perfectly with nonrooted atrix. and i didnt bother adjusting it...)
So like i said in my previous post, you may try to factory reset your phone if you dind't do it yet after the 1.83 update... and see how the battery will perform....
View attachment 9694

View attachment 9695

View attachment 9696

View attachment 9697

That is pretty impressive.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix using Tapatalk

ross.lafferty

May 12, 2011
Visit site

Very impressive indeed, considering you were partaking in quite a few voicecalls and seem to have had on your wifi. I've seen similar battery life lately, after getting the 1.83 update and going over to gingerblur (so I don't have bloatware stealing my battery life!).

Keep posting what you see, this is some good info!

JohnnyUtah

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Trevalkin's suggestion worked for me. I charged my phone to 50% and then did a factory reset. After the reset the battery said 80%. Prior to the reset, my battery was terrible. With absolutely no use on saturday, I left it sitting in the golf cart while I played. after 4 1/2 hours of non use the battery was down to 30%. Now after the reset I am back to normal, 4 hrs of use today and still at 80%, this is after phone calls, angry birds, words for free, and several emails. Just remember to back up your settings and angry birds scores before the wipe, also I removed my sd card before reset.

PLUTO22

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Juice Defender

My Battery was down to 20% and I checked the usage and:

35% was for cell use (only 45 mins of phone calls)
25% was for display
20% was for phone idle

Only 5% for WIFI (left on all day) & 5% for Cell standby

I have the stock task manager kill almost all apps after a few minutes of the screen off.

Will any of the battery managers actually help my configuration? It seems cell use & phone idle are the two big culprits I need to tackle and I'm not sure if any of the battery managers will address them - and if so which settings in the app to control them.

Thanks!

puja_g

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Trevalkin's suggestion worked for me. I charged my phone to 50% and then did a factory reset. After the reset the battery said 80%. Prior to the reset, my battery was terrible. With absolutely no use on saturday, I left it sitting in the golf cart while I played. after 4 1/2 hours of non use the battery was down to 30%. Now after the reset I am back to normal, 4 hrs of use today and still at 80%, this is after phone calls, angry birds, words for free, and several emails. Just remember to back up your settings and angry birds scores before the wipe, also I removed my sd card before reset.

Mine was down to 40% before the reset and went up to around 80% something afterwards. But still even after about 4 hours of use, my battery is always almost down to 40% :/ And I don't understand why.

I am on the phone for around a half hour to a little more than hour sometimes, it depends.. I use Kik, What's App and Pingchat as my main forms of communication, and I'll text every so often too.. Wifi is NEVER on, I have unlimited data, so I rarely ever use the wifi.. I have everything set to refresh after 6+ hours

Brightness is always on auto

I'm getting sick and tired of it :/

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
actually using wifi is much better than using data, when i am at home i'm always on wifi and since the phone maintains strong wifi connection the phone resourses are not waisted on constantly searching and updating the signal whereas data connection seems to be more of a battery hog because it purely depends on obtaining the signal from the cellular towers and the signal strength fluctuates. like in my appartment phone often switches to "Edge" and signal bar is usualy 3 bars.. try to use wifi whenever possible, I keep gtalk on all the time and i browse webpages and watch videos for about 3 hours daily and my battery after 10-11 hours of moderate to heavy use still has 30-20% left. Also you may want to open a task manager and see which apps that you use rarely are in the memory and move them to Auto-end list. also you can check your detailed phone usage by entering in the dialpad: *#*#4636#*#* perhaps there you would get some idea what's really using resources and battery....

Edit:
two more things: do you have another spare OEM battery? if not, call to Motorola, complain about horrible battery life and they'll send you a new one at no charge so this way you will see if you had a bad battery. and another thingis My wife has a simple samsung "dumbphone" and for sometime both of us couldn't figure out what was wrong with it cuz when she would have her phone on charger the battery was showing as fully charged but once unplugged, in a few minutes it'd show low battery warning. we tried a spare battery but it was the same thing so to cut the story short the problem was with the charger. and as soon as we changed it she has no problems anymore. So you may also want to ask for a spare charger from Moto... just in case....

Last edited:

HackNet

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
gingerblur 3.5 :)

Shows the battery percentage by 1% instead of 10%

My Atrix used to do the same. In reality, your battery is not down to 90%, but since it cannot show increments of 1, it shows 90%. Even if you drop 2% battery after removing it from charge, you will think its down 10%, but its not. (get gingerblur 3.5..battery percentage fix, free webtop on HDTV, free wifi tether, etc.. you won't regret)

puja_g

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
gingerblur 3.5 :)

Shows the battery percentage by 1% instead of 10%

My Atrix used to do the same. In reality, your battery is not down to 90%, but since it cannot show increments of 1, it shows 90%. Even if you drop 2% battery after removing it from charge, you will think its down 10%, but its not. (get gingerblur 3.5..battery percentage fix, free webtop on HDTV, free wifi tether, etc.. you won't regret)

Oh, okay.. It's just so frustrating. I have the Circle Battery Widget and it's useful.. But I've noticed when my phone charges to 100% Circle Battery says it isn't on 100 :s But as soon as I take it off charge, it's down to 99% which is fine.. But it's still so aggravating, that this huge battery is down to 30-40% after about 4 hours of use. I charge my phone in the afternoon, cause I work a double shift but if it was at 80% I wouldn't have a need to charge it, but at 30% it wouldn't even get me through the next 3 hours :/

I honesty starting thinking about getting a extended battery, because I'm sick and tired of having to worry about it. I was going to get a 3500 mAh.. But it comes with a weird back and makes the phone thicker? I think that's what it does..

Motorola Atrix 4G 3500 mAh extended life battery

How would I go about getting gingerblur? I don't want to root my phone and I hope this isn't required..

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Oh, okay.. It's just so frustrating. I have the Circle Battery Widget and it's useful.. But I've noticed when my phone charges to 100% Circle Battery says it isn't on 100 :s But as soon as I take it off charge, it's down to 99% which is fine.. But it's still so aggravating, that this huge battery is down to 30-40% after about 4 hours of use. I charge my phone in the afternoon, cause I work a double shift but if it was at 80% I wouldn't have a need to charge it, but at 30% it wouldn't even get me through the next 3 hours :/

I honesty starting thinking about getting a extended battery, because I'm sick and tired of having to worry about it. I was going to get a 3500 mAh.. But it comes with a weird back and makes the phone thicker? I think that's what it does..

How would I go about getting gingerblur? I don't want to root my phone and I hope this isn't required..

Not only you'll have to root it but it'll also replace the interface. and a little hassle if you want to go back to stock LOL

jsrwriter

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
atrix battery fix

i installed juice defender from the market, set it to aggressive setting, and, in my estimation, dramatically upped battery life in the process. it's a great program, def. worth looking into.

by the way, atrix/xoom fans, i just got the acer iconia tab, and it pairs quite nicely with the motorola bluetooth keyboard. very good build quality on the keyboard, which is also usable with atrix.

puja_g

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
i installed juice defender from the market, set it to aggressive setting, and, in my estimation, dramatically upped battery life in the process. it's a great program, def. worth looking into.

by the way, atrix/xoom fans, i just got the acer iconia tab, and it pairs quite nicely with the motorola bluetooth keyboard. very good build quality on the keyboard, which is also usable with atrix.

I downloaded it and hoped to have used it about a month ago or so.. But it wouldn't let me select anything and kept force closing, so I just uninstalled it. I might try again though and see what happens

HackNet

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Atrix 4G Battery

I purchased another BH6X battery from this website which I leave in the car (fully charged) for emergencies, since I use my battery up pretty quick while on the job (Network Engineer). I would probably suggest another battery? Honestly I wouldn't suggest purchasing the extended one, it will make your phone look very bulky, but it's your call. Good Luck! :)