life after rooting

rouxster

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
i just rooted my captivate using the "one touch root" app. now can i just go through the apps that i don't use (the ones that att installed for us) & start deleting them? up next (possibly) is new rom & kernel!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
i just rooted my captivate using the "one touch root" app. now can i just go through the apps that i don't use (the ones that att installed for us) & start deleting them? up next (possibly) is new rom & kernel!

i would rename them rather then deleting... change them from .apk , to .old or .bak

Make sure you do searches on what is ok to remove,,, and yes if you watch the videos from the link in my signature you can learn about roms and kernels

Reactions: tony bag o donuts

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
gotcha. do i need to do that from my computer or can i do it on the phone?

watching the videos? or renaming files?

both can be done from the phone

if you need to change file names you can get root explorer , hit the botton at the top that says mount R/W and this will give you permission to alter files

Reactions: rouxster

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Or you can use Titanium Backup (which is free from the Market) and freeze the apps - they are still on your phone but all functionality is turned off and they stop using resources.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I have to chime in with the suggestion to load Cognition ROM instead. He has done all this work for you already (removing ATT stuff), has a lagfix kernel installed, and more. It is still the stock look, so you will not be lost... you will just have more time to USE your phone instead of trying to re-do the work.

Just my $.02, but you are re-inventing the wheel :). Cognition sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

EDIT- I confused two posts together, sorry. Still though, rather than removing the apps, I still think Cog is the better solution.

stew1411

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
If y dont feel like flashing you can delete the apk and odex files and that will delete the program from your phone. I did this method of just deleting the files without using ti backup. My phone works fine after also. I deleted all the sammy widgets and att programs and it freed up alot of the clutter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
It would be nice if there was like a "travelling", or local service where you can take your phone and get it rooted and flashed with a custom ROM..I just don't trust myself to go thru those motions..as simple as it may seem to most

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I have seen ads for these services, believe it or not. I am not prone to go looking, or know what the services to search for might be, craigslist maybe? I know a buddy of mine forwarded an ad he found for exactly this in the MSP area.

Try watching the videos a few times, not just once. Maybe do a fake walk through, where you emulate the steps on your PC but do not do the actual flashing. Once you see it a few times, it will seem less daunting. Once you do it a few times, it is old hat.

Reactions: fldude99

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I have seen ads for these services, believe it or not. I am not prone to go looking, or know what the services to search for might be, craigslist maybe? I know a buddy of mine forwarded an ad he found for exactly this in the MSP area.

Try watching the videos a few times, not just once. Maybe do a fake walk through, where you emulate the steps on your PC but do not do the actual flashing. Once you see it a few times, it will seem less daunting. Once you do it a few times, it is old hat.

Thanks for the heads up...what video would be recommended? I've looked at whats on theunlockr.com, then there are some on you tube-I forget what site-and they seem to have slightly different methods at certain points

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Look in my signature there is a link to how to videos made by my good friend connexion2002 all you need is there....or mail me your phone and ill hook it up :)
Thanks for the heads up...what video would be recommended? I've looked at whats on theunlockr.com, then there are some on you tube-I forget what site-and they seem to have slightly different methods at certain points

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Reactions: fldude99

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Look in my signature there is a link to how to videos made by my good friend connexion2002 all you need is there....or mail me your phone and ill hook it up :)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

You know what? Even after looking at what seems to look simple as can be, I still wouldn't trust myself. If anyone is passing thru NW FL sometime...let me know..I would be willing to pay for the help!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty