Workaround for AT&T not allowing sideloading?

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I've given it a shot and still haven't really been able to figure it out.

Using adb on Mac, I haven't been able to really figure out how to install the apk file on the phone (gameloft game in this case). Can anyone help?

I downloaded the SDK, but I'm not sure how to get the adb to work..

Not sure about a mac, but on windows if you download the SDK, you unzip it and get a bunch of directories. One directory is tools and it has a probram adb.exe - mac should also have the adb program.

Open a terminal window, change directories to get to this SDK and then then the tools subdirectoy - you need to know basic cd and ls commands.

When you are in the directory, typing adb and hitting enter should give you all the usage commands.

Typing adb install "Filename.apk" without quotes will install the app.

alias3800

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Alright awesome got it.. I had an N900 up until a month ago, so I had to deal with cmd/terminal in order to get the goods out of the phone. I still suck at it, but I was able NOVA into the phone.

Certain words you said helped me a lot, so it was easier to follow than some of the convoluted guides I'd seen for Windows. Thanks dude.

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Glad to help. My next step will be to root the phone and change the setting so i can just add the apps without all this mess. Pretty good guides at the top, but they all depend on ADB.

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Rooting the Phone and changing the setting took literally under 10 minuets to do. I did mine and I am not looking back.

Cheers,
Charlie

Luisgb

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
tried the above steps and got to where i type adb install yada yada, but it says my device isnt found. i have it plugged in and debug mode on, any help would be appreciated (windows 7)

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Easiest way I did the above was get Root Explorer for my phone, went and copied dbdata/databases/com.android.providers.settings/settings.db to the root of my internal storage *thanks to kirbo20 over at xda-developers* and used sqlitestudio to make the change to the settings db and changed non market apps from 0 to 1 and it works perfectly for me.

HTH,
Charlie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa