Light scratch on screen, remedies?

psonio7

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
New to Android and the Captivate is my first. Already rooted phone and did all the cool tricks. I am very careful with my phone but already got a little nick/scratch on the screen and camera lens. I can run my finger across and not feel the scratch on the screen.

Any remedies?

Ironically the phones you are careful with, end up getting dinged. Beat the crap out of my Blackberry and nothing on it at all.

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
If you can't feel the scratch with your fingernail, then it is probably not a scratch. Try a clean rag and some windex (sprayed on the rag).

psonio7

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Screen protectors drive me crazy for some reason no matter how cleanly installed. Was hoping for an easy solution like a polish kit or rainx. Thanks for the advice. It's a light knick I can catch with my nail. Distorts the pixels on white screen.:eek:

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
polishing out scratches in glass requires special compounds - you can call your local mirror or glass shop, or search on the internet.

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Better idea than attempting to polish out the scratch is to unroot(?) it, and return the phone for another one. Claim you love the phone, and want a straight switch- but you're not happy with one or more of (screen colour, GPS lock time etc, hard buttons etc).

If you bought from a real store, Be sure to tell them that you'll need to open the new one and try it in the store before you leave.

Lower risk, in my opinion,

AoN

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Better idea than attempting to polish out the scratch is to unroot(?) it, and return the phone for another one. Claim you love the phone, and want a straight switch- but you're not happy with one or more of (screen colour, GPS lock time etc, hard buttons etc).

If you bought from a real store, Be sure to tell them that you'll need to open the new one and try it in the store before you leave.

Lower risk, in my opinion,

AoN

So your personal integrity and code of conduct consists of the idea that when you damage something you just return it (without saying the real reason) and get another one?

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
My code of conduct and integrity (or lack thereof) is no business of yours, Sir.

The majority of the internet is an ill-mannered environment at best, I would prefer that we not follow suite here.

AoN

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If you can't feel the scratch with your fingernail, then it is probably not a scratch. Try a clean rag and some windex (sprayed on the rag).

worst idea ever. Do not spray windex on your device you will wash out the screen.

You need to use the same spray people use for high end LCD tv's and plasmas. I have a bottle of the monster spray and it does a great job cleaning the screen whenever I need a fresh wipe.

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
worst idea ever. Do not spray windex on your device you will wash out the screen.

You need to use the same spray people use for high end LCD tv's and plasmas. I have a bottle of the monster spray and it does a great job cleaning the screen whenever I need a fresh wipe.

I recommended spraying windex on the rag, not on the screen. The screen is glass and has no special coating; and even if it had a coating Windex is generally safe as it is not a solvent. i would not spray any cleaner directly on a phone, or any other electronic device.

Monster is just repackaging a glass cleaner and charging 10x the price for 1/10th the volume.

LCDs, Plasmas, TVs and our phones have glass screens - there is no magic surface.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I recommended spraying windex on the rag, not on the screen. The screen is glass and has no special coating; and even if it had a coating Windex is generally safe as it is not a solvent. i would not spray any cleaner directly on a phone, or any other electronic device.

Monster is just repackaging a glass cleaner and charging 10x the price for 1/10th the volume.

LCDs, Plasmas, TVs and our phones have glass screens - there is no magic surface.

From what I've read Windex is a solvent.

In all honesty do you really care about spending $10-$30 on a proven cleaner then risk your $500-$2000 devices to a windex cleaner that shas shown to damage displays?

I still have the $20 Monster bottle I brought 4-5 years ago. I don't use it for everyday use. I still have over 90% of the spray left.

For return on investment it still last me 5 years + down the line.

If $20-30 is too big of an investment for 5+ years of usage to protect a valuable device then sure go ahead and use windex.

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
From what I've read Windex is a solvent.

In all honesty do you really care about spending $10-$30 on a proven cleaner then risk your $500-$2000 devices to a windex cleaner that shas shown to damage displays?

I still have the $20 Monster bottle I brought 4-5 years ago. I don't use it for everyday use. I still have over 90% of the spray left.

For return on investment it still last me 5 years + down the line.

If $20-30 is too big of an investment for 5+ years of usage to protect a valuable device then sure go ahead and use windex.

To each his own. I was a chem major in college, I know what is in windex. I have not seen an MSDS on the Monster cleaner, so i have no idea what is in it.

But glass is glass.

I have no problem with any of my expensive PDAs, TVs, Cell Phones, computer monitors, etc. so i continue to do what i do. For me spending that $20-$30 on something that is only glass cleaner is a waste of money.

Unless there is a coating on the exterior surface, glass is glass.

prim8

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Generally I would agree with you but that monster stuff is fantastic.I've had the same bottle for three years now and it works great leaving no streaks at all and it is very inexpensive.