Captivate Turns Off on its own, PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musicmasta

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
So I have searched everywhere for the problem and cant really find a solution. But anyways the phone turns itself off probably 3 to 5 times everyday. Doesn't turn itself back on, just stays off, so it makes the whole purpose of having a phone, quite useless. Does any one out there know why, or might be having the same problem? Considering contacting samsung for a warrenty replacement but hate dealing with cust serv people, so i figured I would try the forums first... Phone is maybe a month old, pretty sure im past my take back date, which sucks...

Thanks, Dan

TheBronze

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Mine has done it here and there, but not bad enough to return it. There was a batch of phones that was really bad about it though. Take it back to AT&T and have them give you a new one.

fadetoblack2104

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Mine turned off several times over the course of a week. 3-5 times a day for the whole week. Then last weekend it turned off never to be turned on again. DEAD. Replacement is being sent as we speak!

I would take yours to att and see what they say. Worst case would be having to talk to those crummy cust service people you dont want to talk to.

kilted thrower

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Mine was only shutting off at night after not being in use for awhile. I got an app from the market place called Monitorload or Loadmonitor and it hasn't shut down since.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
So I have searched everywhere for the problem and cant really find a solution. But anyways the phone turns itself off probably 3 to 5 times everyday. Doesn't turn itself back on, just stays off, so it makes the whole purpose of having a phone, quite useless. Does any one out there know why, or might be having the same problem? Considering contacting samsung for a warrenty replacement but hate dealing with cust serv people, so i figured I would try the forums first... Phone is maybe a month old, pretty sure im past my take back date, which sucks...

Thanks, Dan

So why not sell it on ebay for more than you paid for it?

Musicmasta

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Well bought it online from wirefire, for 100 bucks. So the option of taking it back to the AT&T store is really not available, that's why I was considering calling Samsung and getting a warrenty replacement. I like the phone, it is sweet, don't really wanna get rid of it or sell it on ebay! Its just got this problem of being a little narco-sleepy. Other then that the phone kicks ***, and I would like to keep it.

So if anyone has any other suggestions out there please let me know, I know I cant be the only one out there with a narcoleptic phone.

Thanks, Dan

tunes1986

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Mine started resetting 3-4 times daily only after I installed the update. I'm getting a "update installed" message every time I power back on? Is this what you guys are experiencing?

mikeymopar

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
phone turns off randomly

Just like kilted thrower, mine would randomly be off in the morning. Did 2 resets and replaced the battery per Samsung tech support & ended up sending it to them. There's a one year warranty. Just got it back 4 days ago & I didn't make one change to the phone because their response was that they did a reset (different from the ones I did?). It's already turned off twice. Tech support said to send it back to them again.

frozencloud

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Have anyone tried to put a piece of paper between the battery and the battery cover to push in the battery tighter. Not sure if this will fix anything, but u never know.

sdong2

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi I have my captivate phone for about 6 weeks and after some update, my phone started doing the automatic shutoff if left untouched for some time. makes no shutting down noise, just turns off. Every time I turn it back on I get the sucessful update message. Sounds like what is happening to you. Since my phone is my pager it makes for a unreliable system. ATT store people have never heard of it but it appears to be a common problem. Somebody suggested reset. How do I do this?

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
You could try a factory data reset- in case you've got an app that's causing a problem

Be aware that this will delete all the apps you have installed.

I'm not sure about user data.

If you have paid apps, you could try un-installing them through the market, I *think* (but have never personally verified) that this will allow you to re-install without paying again.

Settings > Privacy > Factory Reset (or similar)

Hope this helps,

AoN

veener79

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I have had this happen only once. It happend after I updated to 2.2. I have only had this phone for 2 weeks. I am still learning about it.

riggsmagic

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Doing a factory reset will delete all information on the phone like contacts, apps, everything. But since your with google your contacts are backed up and your apps can be restored without having to buy your paided apps twice.

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Doing a factory reset will delete all information on the phone like contacts, apps, everything. But since your with google your contacts are backed up and your apps can be restored without having to buy your paided apps twice.

Only if your contacts are sync'd to your gmail account. If you saved contacts to your phone they will be lost.

bango690

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
capitivate sutting down

My phone started shutting down after three weeks. I purchases the phone at Wirefly so my two week return was over. Called ATT and they pushed me to samung. Samsung suggested a hard reset. I was reluctant do to the many hours I have spent t sent up the phone. The problem got worse, the phone was shutting down after I recharged the battery. The rest of the day it was ok. It started shutting down during phone conversations. That was it. I tried placing paper between the back cover and battery, that did not work. Sent it back to Samsung yesterday for a (as what they call it) and flash. Hope it works, but this should not happen to any phone, especially in the first month. My suggestion pay the extra money and buy from a local store. Now back to my Motorola V, no more headaches. it just works. I probably spent 40 hours customizing, wasted and I big sad sorry from Samsung.

subwayeatbig

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I went to the att store and they sent me to there warranty center. The guy did a software reset? By pressing the power and volume buttons to clear the cache. He then had a battery be sent to my home to see if it is a battery issue, if anything he said I would have a free spare battery. He said if it happens then come back to get a replacement shipped. I got thee phone from amazon too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez