How to Group Text?

Vanessa Lam

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a galaxy note 3. I got a "group" text today. Can someone please tell me how you get that option from the stock phone software.. Does it have to be a certain phone to certain phone. Or certain service providers, ect.... :)

William Diefenbach

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
I am trying to find a MASS Text Message app that works well.
My dilemna is this...
I am a youth pastor and have google groups made up of 20, 30 or even up to 50 people in the group.
Stock app only lets me send 20 messages.
I need an app that will send out to the WHOLE group with one click and I need to not spend my time typing in individual names to create the group I want to send to.
Hence why I made them a group in the first place.
Do you know of any app that works well for this?
I had Chomp, but it just crashed for some reason and it always made me click "Yes I want to send this message" for EVERY message going out.. Hence a group of 60 means I tap YES 60 times...
What do you reccomend?

ladyfinesse08

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if there is any one app that will let you do that without the kids also having the same app. I know you can have up to 50 people in a group chat on whatsapp but they all have to have the app downloaded to do that. Your best bet is honestly Facebook messenger. You could also create a private Facebook page where only people you allow have access to it and can see what's posted and comment on it. You can also create private events this way. (You can also name your group chat in messenger)

As for group texting Google hangouts has the new update which gives it a group messaging feature similar to the iphones imessage (I like hangouts much better though). Don't think you can message 60 people with it but I've also never tried.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm do you really want to group text 50 or 60 people? You probably have unlimited text, but do all of those 60 people have unlimited text? If some of them don't, you could be costing them (or their parents) a lot of money on txt. I have actually seen someone within a group txt asked to be taken out of the group txt because the constant conversation was costing them to go over the monthly txt limit within minutes.

When you are using Chomp with the 60 confirms, you were probably individually txting the 60 people. That's actually better since if one reply, it will only go back to you. If you could find an app to "group txt" 60 people, each reply from 1 person will go to all 61 including you.

Chloe Foxx

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi Stuart,

Do you remember the other setting you changed to get the group messaging to start working? I'm having the exact same issue as your girlfriend did... Pls let me know! Thanks!!

suav257

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes there is add recipient press the person icon then choose group
ypa7ege6.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Dale Sexton

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Can you recommend an app that does the latter in your post? Mass text? I'm not interested in the group SMS stuff, but I need to send texts to the parents on my baseball team on occasion. I need to put folks in a group and be able to select that group and send a text. Thanks.

Gehadbar

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Hangouts is the best for Group Texting. Ive had Android since the G1 (first android phone) and its never had group texting, it was literally just mass texting, where if you picked multiple recipients and sent a message, they could all reply back, but it would come back individually instead of all going to one thread. Hard to read since you have to back out and go to each friends thread to see their reply.

On that note I still can't answer your Mass Text question, because I've spent so much time looking for the best Group Messaging App, and Google did it with Hangouts which is pretty much Native to all Android phones (Not a third party app like Handcent or Go SMS) Im still on Android 4.2, but supposedly all 4.3+ Android versions can do group sms with the stock messenger

GROUP TEXT/SMS/MMS SOLUTION: :cool:

ANDROID 4.2 and Below - Use updated Google Hangouts for Group Messaging, Go to settings and SMS and replace your stock app. Now you should be able to use Hangouts as your regular messaging app, I deactivated all notifications from my stock messenger.

ANDROID 4.3 and 4.4 - Use stock messenger or Hangouts.

Hope that quickly helps all people looking for that answer...took some years ;)

dmhandwe

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I have read through most of the above messages. I recently purchased SG Note 2 and today upgraded to version 4.3 I317
Do I have to do anything to make the stock messages app work for group messages?

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have read through most of the above messages. I recently purchased SG Note 2 and today upgraded to version 4.3 I317
Do I have to do anything to make the stock messages app work for group messages?

You just need to make sure Group Messaging is checked in the setting and you are good to go since you got 4.3.

Luci713

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
(cut).......On that note I still can't answer your Mass Text question, because I've spent so much time looking for the best Group Messaging App, and Google did it with Hangouts which is pretty much Native to all Android phones (Not a third party app like Handcent or Go SMS) Im still on Android 4.2, but supposedly all 4.3+ Android versions can do group sms with the stock messenger

GROUP TEXT/SMS/MMS SOLUTION: :cool:

ANDROID 4.2 and Below - Use updated Google Hangouts for Group Messaging, Go to settings and SMS and replace your stock app. Now you should be able to use Hangouts as your regular messaging app, I deactivated all notifications from my stock messenger.

ANDROID 4.3 and 4.4 - Use stock messenger or Hangouts.

Hope that quickly helps all people looking for that answer...took some years ;)

Thank you!!! I am now using Hangouts texting and it's solved my group messages and MMS problems with the stock messaging app on my cheapie Samsung Galaxy Centura (from Straigtalk lol). The phone came with Hangouts but I didn't know it because it wasn't updated from Google Talk!!! GoSMS had solved some of the problems, still keeping it because of the customization features. Prettier to use for regular texts:)