s pen leaves screen inditation on screen protector...

nettech_gt

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know of a screen protector that won't leave an indentation of what you write on the screen protector? I'm currently using the Zagg "Invisible Shield".

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
This is only my opinion, but I think putting a plastic screen protector on glass is not needed. My two year old Galaxy Captivate has no scratches. Do you protect your car's windshield, too? :) The only thing that can scratch glass is a diamond. So be careful of a diamond ring..

A curious thing is the Captivate print ads always mentioned Gorilla brand glass and the Note does not.

N4OSX

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I, too, refrain from using a screen protector on the Note. I got the Samsung Flip Case that has the nice lined cover to protect it while it's in your pocket. Very similar to the smart covers Apple is selling for their iPads. With the flip cover in place, I just don't see the need for one.

And as PaulF said above, it's glass - unless you're carrying it around in a pocket full of change, I really don't think you're going to scratch it. I'd just forgo the screen protector all together.;)

clmill79

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue with my ZAGG Invisi-Shield on my first Note. That being said, due to an issue with my first Note, it had to be replaced, and I had to wait on my replacement ZAGG to arrive as a result.

It's then that I realized that using it without a screen protector was much easier than using it with one. No issues of scratching with the S-Pen, no dragging and seemingly "sticky" screen use when touching, and much better accuracy with the S-Pen (it annoyed the hell out of me to have to press harder for it to recognize the input when using the Invisi-Shield).

And that all being said, I have since kept mine naked, in my pocket most of the time, and whatever the glass is made out of, it seems to somehow end up clean of fingerprints and the like after I haven't used it for a couple hours; this is awesome, btw, as I don't have to constantly clean it. :D

I agree with the others, here; fore-go the ZAGG, you'll be glad that you did.

androidforever

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know of a screen protector that won't leave an indentation of what you write on the screen protector? I'm currently using the Zagg "Invisible Shield".

I had the same problem for first few days. But after a week and so it was all fine. For me it acts as a cushion when ur device falls on an object. Glass is glass. And at least it is well protected

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I have owned the Epic Touch GS2, Tab 10.1 & Tab 7.0 Plus, and now the Galaxy Note. I have not used a screen protector on any of these devices because I personally don't think they are needed. Not one of those devices ever scratched, and as a result they maintained there resale value.

As far as the Note is concerned, I would recommend foregoing the screen protector altogether. A better value, in my opinion, is to make sure the device is insured in case of a fall or broken glass. I think the device looks so much nicer without the problems associated with a screen protector.

Some people swear by them, but in my opinion they are not really needed. The Samsung flip cover case works great for those times when you need to lay it down unattended.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Some people swear by them, but in my opinion they are not really needed. The Samsung flip cover case works great for those times when you need to lay it down unattended.

I remember these type of cases back when I had a T|3; SO easy to flip cover up or down. Wish I knew where to get that same kind for my current phone.....our any phone for that matter.

Sent from my rooted WHITE SGSIIE4GT via TapaTalk

nettech_gt

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I was told by Zagg that "ivisible-shield" screen protectors are "self healing" and the indentations should go away on there own... but after three days they never did. I went ahead and returned my screen protector. Thanx to all that replied.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Two things....

Diamond is not the only thing that will scratch glass. If you believe that then find some sand and rub it on your screen (DON'T actually do it, it'll scratch it). :)

I would imagine that any dry apply screen protector (the film type, not rubbery) wouldn't indent. I haven't actually tried it since I don't own a device with a stylus, but it makes sense when you think about it.

:cool:

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Glass and sand are both silicon dioxide. My guess is that tempered glass is harder than sand. My point about the diamond was an exaggeration to say that it is very hard to scratch glass. Screen protectors were useful when screens were plastic. Not for glass, in my opinion.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Glass and sand are both silicon dioxide. My guess is that tempered glass is harder than sand. My point about the diamond was an exaggeration to say that it is very hard to scratch glass. Screen protectors were useful when screens were plastic. Not for glass, in my opinion.

I agree that glass (especially gorilla glass) is much more resilient, but I refer to Phil's Thunderbolt with gorilla glass as my reference. If you haven't seen it it's pretty destroyed (and he wasn't any harder on it than he is any other phone).

jbsj207

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
I, too, refrain from using a screen protector on the Note. I got the Samsung Flip Case that has the nice lined cover to protect it while it's in your pocket. Very similar to the smart covers Apple is selling for their iPads. With the flip cover in place, I just don't see the need for one.

And as PaulF said above, it's glass - unless you're carrying it around in a pocket full of change, I really don't think you're going to scratch it. I'd just forgo the screen protector all together.;)

Hey, was thinking about the Flip Case (for when i eventually get the note, hopefully next few weeks)
Read a review online that said the flip case when closed it sort of 'lifts up' from the display.
Does the flip case stay secure when closed?

Professor777

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I had a Skinomi protector on my iphone, and it was great. Not a scratch on it after 2+ years. so I put one on the Note and it has the same problem as the Invisa Shield. I even got the dry apply, it does not matter. The self healing properties of these protectors make them susceptible to indentations by the S-Pen. Yes, they go away, but it is less than ideal. The Skinomi also has a slight orange peal look at certain angles.

You need a protector that is stiff, not flexible if you want a protector at all. But the above comments are well made, except for the fact that it is hard to scratch glass -- no it isn't. Just ask anyone with a glass table top. But the note has Gorilla glass, and that's not just any glass. It is very hard and scratch resistant. Nevertheless, just go to any phone store and you will find plenty of scratches on the phones, including gorilla glass phones. I asked a salesman about it and he said all phones get scratched, so a protector is a wise investment.

I have a flip case but never use it. It is a hassle to hold when open and you can't use a more shock absorbing case with it.

The Moh scale is the measure of relative hardness and resistance to scratching between minerals. Diamond is hardest, coming in at 10, and silica/sand is #7 which is harder than anything else except for other related minerals. I live in Florida and the ground everywhere is sandy to some degree. Sand can scratch your phone and just about everything else that is not diamond, but it would take more than casual contact.

The gorilla glass should be pretty impervious to scratching, but Corning is coming out with gorilla glass 2 soon, so I guess they see a need to make it harder.

I am going to take the Skinomi off and try going protector-less, but I will keep my eye on this thread and may experiment a bit.
Just be careful when you go to clean it if you don't have a protector. That's when people accidentally press dirt into the screen, and if it's sandy, will scratch it.

Last edited:

johnowen1989

Aug 27, 2018
Visit site
I am using a liquid glass screen protector. Works perfect screen doesn't lose any colour or depth and if I get marks, all I need to do is wipe them off with my sleeve... Also wraps aroun the edge but never gets pushed off by a case.