GPS issues after ICS update

mmohn01

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I have. It takes 5 minutes or so to get a GPS signal. I am in insurance sales, and I use this daily. So, it's really annoying. The Bluetooth notifications sound crackly as well when I am connected to the Bluetooth in my car or my headset.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

skelton

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
You need something like "Latitude" that will poll your GPS every so often to keep it updated. Mine locks quickly but some days it takes a while to figure out where I am.

The A-GPS feature needs work to get a lock faster. I have seen very few phones to do this. Usually such phones have FM radios and use that to get WAAS information.

Other than that out works as well as most I have had.

kembry

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
My GPS was A LOT faster with Gingerbread. I turned on Latitude...good idea. I'll see if that fixes anything.

Last edited:

Fixintu

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I have both a corporate issued Galaxy Note and my own personal one for my home cell (i717 AT&T). I upgraded both to ICS when it became available on Kies. On BOTH devices the GPS went to hell immediately. Neither one could get a lock to save it's life in spite of seeing 20 satellites. Factory reset both. No change. I use GPS all the time for navigation so this really sucks. I was able to contact AT&T and got a replacement loaded with stock Gingerbread for the corporate phone but could not do the same for my personal device as the 30 days had elapsed. As usual Samsung/AT&T are not in any big hurry to issue a fix. At least ONE of my two GNotes can find itself. Maybe they will get it right in JB? I'm not holding my breath as I got burned by Samsung on the Captivate with bad GPS. The GPS is better on the Galaxy Note with Gingerbread than any other device I have ever used. ICS breaks it. SO at least we know it is a software rather than a hardware issue.

Reactions: birdcatcher

Teyshablue

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I've had the same problems. Occasionally, just clearing the AGPS data helps, but not always. I've always had Latitude running...didn't seem to make any difference. I downloaded FasterFix from Google Play and set it up with the North American default. Performance has improved dramatically. Locks are quick and stable. So far. ;)

mmohn01

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I installed my kaspersky, and then I enabled the GPS tracking. Since them my navigation has worked a lot better. Still drops signal on occasion. So, it's still not add good as when I had gingerbread, but it's better than waiting for 5 minutes to get a signal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same issue with GPS after the ICS update. On Gingerbread I could get a GPS lock almost instantaneously. At the time of this post I have been waiting six minutes and still no GPS lock.

Reactions: birdcatcher

Teyshablue

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
After a few days with FasterFix, I have found that my GPS locks in seconds every time. I haven't had an issue yet.
I read about it on xda, and the advice was to change the server settings to suppl.google

I did that but there was no change. Then I just let the app install the default for North America and it's worked perfectly ever since.

note-ics

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Ics update breaks note's gps

I have both a corporate issued Galaxy Note and my own personal one for my home cell (i717 AT&T). I upgraded both to ICS when it became available on Kies. On BOTH devices the GPS went to hell immediately. Neither one could get a lock to save it's life in spite of seeing 20 satellites. Factory reset both. No change. I use GPS all the time for navigation so this really sucks. I was able to contact AT&T and got a replacement loaded with stock Gingerbread for the corporate phone but could not do the same for my personal device as the 30 days had elapsed. As usual Samsung/AT&T are not in any big hurry to issue a fix. At least ONE of my two GNotes can find itself. Maybe they will get it right in JB? I'm not holding my breath as I got burned by Samsung on the Captivate with bad GPS. The GPS is better on the Galaxy Note with Gingerbread than any other device I have ever used. ICS breaks it. SO at least we know it is a software rather than a hardware issue.

Last edited:

note-ics

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
GANG, THIS ICS UPDATE OBLITERATED MY GPS. It does not turn on PERIOD. I cannot tell you how f'd up this is. Samsung immediately told me I need to send them the phone for repair in colorado. In other words, samsung knows full well about this issue and is suppressing the information to the public. It's outrageous, instead of providing consumer awareness, they've kept silent. They screwed me over with the gps on the samsung vibrant and I swore I'd never go back to them. I'm an idiot. I use this phone as my pager, I'm a physician I can't afford to give up my phone for 10 days. Spread the word be aware of what can happen if you upgrade.

birdcatcher

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here. My Note ATT/1717 found the GPS signal very quickly before I "upgraded" to ICS. Now it takes 5 to 10 minutes. Hope Samsung can find a fix soon.

Christopher Frank

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the Galaxy Note 2 and I found that if I don't have a GPS signal as if it were searching I would nearly touch the GPS icon so turns off and then turn it back on and almost immediately find satellites in all conditions.
I'm not sure what's causing it to release the GPS receiver or to turn it on turn the satellite reception off but it does seem to work with this work around.

Michael Zamborsky

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Im such a moron! Arggg had gps issues with the Captivate a while back and finding out Samsung was holding back on the public and so forth ,emmediatly got rid of it and told myself I would never buy anther Samsung product again. Well recently I took in exchange a Galaxy Note 1 Lte with ICS when I really needed the GPS for Sygic which got a quike fix only once when inicially opened it for the first time but have never been able to get a fix with it again. Even with the suggested app obove ( Fasterfix ) no prevail.
Samsung....you suck!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87