Bionic, Atrix, Infuse... SGSII??

myoo2182

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
So being in IT I have the opportunity to order and test certain cell phone devices to ensure compatibility with our mobile site and applications. Recently I received the Droid Bionic from Verizon. The Bionic is a MONSTER. I am regularly getting 11mbps down on this phone and can get upto 24mbps with good signal. This phone browses as fast as or faster than some wifi connections. I have had the phone on demo for about a week and have to return it on the 15th of October.

This morning I walk into work and have a package with an Infuse 4g and an Atrix 4g from AT&T. Immediately I set the phones up and download speedtest from the Android Market. I have almost full bars of signal on both phones, showing H+

I was surprised that the fastest download speed either phone reached was 1.4mbps (in Philadelphia Pennsylvania). I tried the test at different times of the day with the same results.

My question is, should I expect the Samsung Galaxy SII on AT&T to have any better speeds? I am currently using an iphone 4 as my personal device from AT&T and it gets better speeds than either of these "4G" phones but not nearly as fast or even close, as the Verizon Droid Bionic. I have been following the SGSII news since they first announced it, and died a little inside when the rest of the world got it months before us. I am now contemplating if the sheer speed of the Verizon network could force me to switch from AT&T (been with them since 2000). Has anyone heard of SGSII on AT&T having decent network speed? I am guessing it will be about the same as the other two phones since they both are on good hardware and it is AT&T that is just slow?

thanks

BuddhaMunx

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
It seems like some places don't have the "4G" enhanced backhaul fully setup. I recently had an Atrix 4G and I never did a speed test, but I can say that it was significantly faster than my iPhone 4, and I am in San Antonio, Texas. It seems like some places do, and some places don't have that enhanced backhaul. But also now AT&T rolled out their LTE network this past Sunday the 18th of Sept. in 5 cities, including San Antonio, and I can say that the speeds were just as fast as the Atrix 4G I was using. I was using a HTC Tablet at the time so who knows if that was the hardware, but maybe the network itself still needs some work? Just something to think about.

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
that has to be market and TOD. After the mtc load for the infuse, I am able to get 10mbps down sometimes and 1.1 up constantly. On average where I travel I get between 5 and 8mbps down.

On my Inspire I usually get around 6 down and 1.1 up.

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The sgsII will not be better. It is hspa+ like the other 4 g phones for ATT. In Dallas I get 6 down and 1up pretty consistently on my Atrix. While lte is fast, battery life is terrible. Depends in which is more important. Speed or battery? As a sales person, battery life trumps speed for me and my team.

myoo2182

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, thanks for the replies. I guess backhaul is not yet complete in Philadelphia. If I could get 3-6mbps down on an HSPA+ device on ATT I would be very happy. I hope ATT rolls out their LTE fairly fast and gets some true LTE devices out on the market like Verizon has.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty