will at&t charge me if i use internet tethering?

Buckmaster

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I have iphone 4 jailbroked, unlimited with AT&T, tethering right now and have been for over a year. Nothing major, surf the web, watch a few video clips almost every night. Knock on wood, but I have not had a problem, warning or anything else. Wife does the same on here Iphone 4, No problem. If I move to the galaxy s2, I will root it and tether.

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
From everything I've read :

If you don't go crazy and give AT&T a reason to really look over your account, you should be OK. For example, if you regularly use, say, 2gb data but then suddenly spike to 10gb data, it'll look a little suspicious. But if you go from 2gb to 3gb to 4gb, etc, they probably wouldn't notice.

Also, most carriers have a 5gb softcap. As in, they have a 5gb cap on mobile Internet cards or for paid tethering purposes. Generally, from what I've read, they won't even check if you don't exceed 5gb on your phone. I know most of us here can far surpass that on our phones alone, heh. But if you don't, I would stay under 5gb total over all data usage just in case.

Your milage will definitely vary. Technically using a 3rd party tethering application is against the TOS for your carrier. Always use at your own risk, and be aware of your usage.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

If you don't go crazy and give AT&T a reason to really look over your account, you should be OK. For example, if you regularly use, say, 2gb data but then suddenly spike to 10gb data, it'll look a little suspicious. But if you go from 2gb to 3gb to 4gb, etc, they probably wouldn't notice.

Also, most carriers have a 5gb softcap. As in, they have a 5gb cap on mobile Internet cards or for paid tethering purposes. Generally, from what I've read, they won't even check if you don't exceed 5gb on your phone. I know most of us here can far surpass that on our phones alone, heh. But if you don't, I would stay under 5gb total over all data usage just in case.

Your milage will definitely vary. Technically using a 3rd party tethering application is against the TOS for your carrier. Always use at your own risk, and be aware of your usage.

Well maybe. I was a BB fanatic for years and cut over to Android a few months back. On BB my max was 700MB one month when I was making my first Hybrid and reloading all my apps playing around. Once on Android, I have cranked over 3GB the last few months. The extra traffic is just Android plus rooting, flashing and rebuilding. Oh and let us not forget the constant pounding of SpeedTest! LOL.

Short answer is yes if caught, there will be charge.

Just an FYI, the Google Sync and app loading was over 300 MB just yesterday after I picked up my GSII. The other 200MB that I have used is SpeedTest!!!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

unforgiven

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
LOL, you don't have to root to tether. The only thing that will not work is WiFi tethering. USB abd BT work fine.

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but I'm coming from a jail broken iphone to get tethering for no additional cost on my unlimited plan. Are you saying if I connect with blue tooth of USB cable I can do the same exact thing? Tether my galaxy tab on just my unlimited plan?

DANNCAS

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Well maybe. I was a BB fanatic for years and cut over to Android a few months back. On BB my max was 700MB one month when I was making my first Hybrid and reloading all my apps playing around. Once on Android, I have cranked over 3GB the last few months. The extra traffic is just Android plus rooting, flashing and rebuilding. Oh and let us not forget the constant pounding of SpeedTest! LOL.

Short answer is yes if caught, there will be charge.

Just an FYI, the Google Sync and app loading was over 300 MB just yesterday after I picked up my GSII. The other 200MB that I have used is SpeedTest!!!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
I have had BB for year still have the unlimited plan. i tethered the BB USB no problems. I would think it the same for samsung.
with the BB you had to use the desktop software to like the laptop and phone. Samsung now desktop software? I dont even know how to sync music on laptop yet. I'm going to the one of the other fours to find out.

Vyse101

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

when i use the web on at&t do they charge me? on the wireless phone? because im getting the iPhone3GS i mean that would be stupid.

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
when i use the web on at&t do they charge me? on the wireless phone? because im getting the iPhone3GS i mean that would be stupid.

They won't charge you so long as you don't go over your data limit. But you have to pay for the service.

Sent from my 3VO using Tapatalk

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Having the unlimited plan and now being able to tether, I don't think I'll do it. I remember reading dozens of stories about AT&T taking the unlimited plan away from people who tethered. Though I won't necessarily argue with them not saying anything if you don't abuse it. I don't know, their really cracking down, but I just wouldn't risk it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress