Are you completely satisfied with your GSII?

surf1

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Am I missing something about Juice Defender? When I used it, I hated it.
Curious about that too as when I searched online, found thread after thread and post all around about how to avoid juice defender, but then one in awhile you see someone loving it. Makes no sense lol?

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Well I powered on my SGSII today and was completely blown away by the screen. WOW doesn't even begin to describe it. I am very glad I went with this model over the Skyrocket. This device blows every Android device I've ever used right out of the water with its performance. ZERO LAG. Its also the perfect size. I think 4.5" is a tad too big.

Vetdoctor

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Coming to the SGII from am Evo I'm not thrilled. The colors on the screen are cartoonish and harsh. The text on the screen lacks the refinement of the Evo and blurs when I scroll. Vlingo is a pain, if I keep the phone I'll root and delete it.

I like a lot of Touchwiz but miss the elegant cut and paste of Sense (lost that when I rooted and went to Cyanogenmod). Perhaps the interface I'd faster that Cyanogen on the Evo. Certainly the typing is. I plan to go back and look at the Inspire and Vivid and dither about changing.

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I totally love the phone since day 1. I got it on release day... but my main issue and still haven't figure out what is causing the battery drain.. my phone drains about 4%-8% per hour with screen off.. :/

Vetdoctor

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Last post from my , so I thought I'd try from the galaxy. Certainly the Swype keyboard is much faster (faster processor, but fewer programs too) I picked the galaxy for ability to root. Inspire and vivid are harder and impossible, respectively.

jbliv63

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
JuiceDefender has been great for me. Despite what was said above, I still get calls and texts while the phone is locked. Then it turns on WiFi and data at a variable interval to check for emails, tweets, rss updates, etc. Works very well for me. Heavy user and it doubles my battery life.

mcl5000

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
After reading some of these posts about Juice Defender, I figured I'd give it a shot. It's definitely helping my battery life. Getting ready to leave work and it's at 59% after a normal day's use. Before the update this would be up around 70% or so, but after the update and without JD, I'd probably be around 20%.

I'd rather sync all the time, as I could do that before the update, but this is definitely a good temporary solution until (hopefully) another update is released that fixes it.

ttlphotography

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
great phone until i installed the update yesterday.
To those who havent updated yet, for the love of God, DONT!!!

made my phone go totally off the wall bat ^&%$ crazy. Im heading to an att store to get either a replacement battery and/or a replacement phone thats on 2.3.4. 2.3.6 is a total black hole and a waste of time and effort. Avoid it!!!

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I jumped to the Skyrocket, and the verdict is still out whether I made the right move.

Things I like better about the Skyrocket:
-No lag when I hit the home screen button
-No lag to wake up screen
-LTE recently lit up in LA, and faster speeds on HSPA+

Things I like better about the SGS2:
-Screen. Higher pixel density, and Skyrocket has these weird blotches and lines on dark greys. Not noticeable in the light, but obvious in the dark.
-Stability: Skyrocket has crashed on me once or twice, while the SGS2 never did in the month I owned it (maybe it would've sooner or later.. but who knows). Bluetooth is acting up on the Skyrocket , and I don't remember having this problem on the SGS2 either
-Size: Fits alittle better in my small hands

GJMX

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Would suggest anyone thinking of upgrading to 2.3.6 read the forums first. It fixes nothing and causes problems that were not there with 2.3.4. If you have any doubts just google the upgrade and you will understand. Still like the phone but wished I had not upgraded from 2.3.4. Waiting for a fix.........

onlinesunshine

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded from the Blackberry Curve to the Samsung Galaxy S II the day after Christmas.
The main reason for the switch was for a larger screen. Originally I was going to get the new Torch touch screen, but since it's not 4G (even though the AT&T site says it is, the guy at the cell place said it's just 4G "compatible" which isn't the same thing).

Here are the things I don't like about it, compared to my BB:

The bluetooth doesn't work as nice. I have a Jawbone Icon and have never had any problems with it until I got this phone. Now, when I press the button to voice dial, I may or may not get the prompt...which means that many times I have to dig my phone out and use the screen. Not very safe when I'm driving, so I would say this is the worst part of the phone. Several times I have had problems even getting it to dial out from the screen. It says it's dialing, but nothing happens and then eventually it just shuts off. Again, very frustrating when I'm trying to make calls on the road.

Secondly, the quality of the call is not very good with the bluetooth. I get a squeaky-sounding echo, which is very distracting and annoying. I have found that with no bluetooth, there is not an echo. But the last thing I want to do is hold the phone to my head. Ever. It's annoying. I like my bluetooth because calls become hands-free.

I hate Vlingo. It's slow and doesn't work right. Whatever BB uses, I wish my SGS2 had it for voice dialing. And I wish you could disable Vlingo and use something else.

Aside from that, the rest of the things I don't like about the phone are just little annoyances:

When I am listening to music, if I get an email or text, it pauses the music. I would rather the notification just came in OVER the music. It's very startling when I'm on the treadmill and all of a sudden the music stops! The only solution that I have found is to turn off ALL notifications while I'm working out, but then I run the risk of not remembering to turn them back on.

I miss my shortcut button that my BB had. I had mine set for the camera, so I could just push the button on the side and I was ready to shoot!

I also miss the pause, ff, rw buttons on the top for my music from my BB. It was really nice to be able to pause my music instantly. At least they put the same functions on the unlock screen.

I miss being able to have the choice of deleting my emails from my phone only, or on both the phone and the server. There are times when I want an email saved....either for PC viewing or for reference....that I don't want on my phone. I no longer have that choice, which is really sad. :( Oh, and I miss getting my emails right away. It seems to take up to an hour to get my emails on my SGS2.

I wish you could hide icons that you aren't going to use like you could on the BB. I had to make a folder called "Crapps" (Crappy Apps) and dumped them all in there.

And now for the things I like about the phone:

The screen. It's huge. It's pretty. :) Movies, pictures and everything look soooo much better.

It's fast. My BB was slow and scrolling was tedious. Now I just zoom around, which is really awesome! I can browse the internet and everything else so much faster!

The camera. Great quality pictures. Great apps available for editing and effects. And a flash. :)

Speech to text is cool, but I wish it worked better. It doesn't always interpret what I say very good, and I speak very clearly.

Lots of great apps.

I love the multiple alarms (one for pill reminder, one for sleeping....both with different tones). :)

Kindle. With the larger screen, this is a great addition to my phone.

And one last note in regards to battery life. All I ever read is people writing about how great the battery life is. If I am actually using my phone (with the screen active), the battery life is short. But I would expect that with such a large screen. I have ran down the battery in a day and had to recharge more than once because of a game or movie. I purchased an extra battery (I had two extras for my curve) because I travel a lot and sometimes charging isn't an option. So, I can just pop in the extra battery and be back up and running in a minute.

Oh, and that reminds me....the booting time on this is so much faster! My BB would take 5 min to come back up after a battery pull. My SGS2 is up in about a minute.

In regards to accessories, I got a TPU case (matte black) on Amazon and a REALOOK crystal clear screen protector and I love them both. Headphones are always KOSS zipline earbuds (for tangle-free and good sound).

Reactions: Vetdoctor

jmcarlos

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I recently moved to the SGS2 from a Palm Pre classic. I love it! No doubt it's a huge upgrade. I love how Android OS works and the customization that can be made. I love the speed and smoothness of the OS. I am looking forward to ICS, though I'm happy with what I got for now.

Intake

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Just moved from a 3G iPhone to this and I'm loving nearly every bit of it. There's only 3 things that I miss from my iPhone and that's the silencer switch on the side and the battery life was much better when listening to music. And speaking of music, I was having issues with iTunes and the Touchwiz music player since it puts all my songs on, but only a select 20 of them in my playlists..

Other than that, it is in every way better.

Duality84

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
i switched over from an iPhone 4 after being underwhelmed by the iPhone 4S...i'm fairly satisfied with it, although my iPhone was much better with battery life going day to day...anxious to see the changes that ICS will bring, but so far my thoughts are my stay with Android will be a fun diversion but depending on how the next-gen iPhone turns out, i may switch back

slvrevoix

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I truly loved my gs2 but I just switch over to the iPhone 4s. I don't Know what the hell I was thinking lol . The 4s is an awesome phone for sure though :)

mclifford82

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had each iPhone as they came out and always shied away from Android due to the touch screen lag.

I can't say enough awesome things about the S2. The camera on it is superb and the size is just right. The Skyrocket felt too large to me.

Edit: the screen is also gorgeous. In fact, seeing pictures on the device is so much better than on a computer

Sent from my Galaxy S II via Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez