Turning off LTE?

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, of that works it certainly would be useful. Now I it just remains to be seen what the battery life on the S3 looks like so I can decided if its really worth the upgrade over this...

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Well my friends I have found the answer...please note if you don't have ICS build on your phone I'm not sure if this will work but I am running ICS 4.0.4 UCLE2 build and this should work for all ICS builds.

1.Click on Menu button and go to Settings.

2. Go to "More....", once in, click on "Mobile Networks"

3. Go to "Access Point Names"

4. Once in you will see "AT&T PTA" with a radial button as your only option. This is the default gateway.

5. Click on Menu button below, and you will have two choices, "New APN" or "Reset to default" click on New APN.

You will see a series of lines under "Edit Access Point" and click on "APN" and enter as follows "wap.cingular"

If you like you can rename the "Name" to whatever you like...I used "AT&T HSPA+"

Click "Save"

This will give you access to HSPA+ network only. I found this info online for the Galaxy SIII with ICS coming stock. This is an ICS only option I believe, I don't recall cause I dumped the Gingerbread 2.3.6 cause it was burning up batteries like crazy.

Please be advised I have the Galaxy SII Skyrocket, they are building the LTE network in my area as we speak and I was getting all sorts of interference from their testing and upgrades so until its complete I'm running HSPA+ only and the problems went away.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks. Can anyone confirm that this works?

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Guys just tested this in Chicago....it works and ATT confirmed its a safe access point

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Changing the APN setting won't stick though. Test it out while your in a completely covered LTE area. I bet your phone might stay on HSPA+ for a couple minutes if that before reverting back to LTE.

Go the custom rom route if you want the setting. The setting would be under mobile networks and then NETWORK MODE:

GSM/HSPA/LTE (Auto)
HSPA/GSM (Auto)
HSPA Only
GSM Only

The Rogers version will have the above settings on their version. AT&T takes it away simply because they don't want us selecting our network. I guess they worry that people in full LTE areas will revert to HSPA+.

Just AT&T being AT&T.

Zulu Warrior

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Awesome, well I should be getting my GS3 sometime in the next day or two, and I'll make sure to try it out. When you're saying it still works, are you saying you went the method of changing the APN, or the custom ROM route?

carlosrey23

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Im not sure why this is an issue. the fact that you can't turn it off has more to do with radios than anything else. In VZW lte requires to have 2 radios, an lte and a CDMA radio, that's why turning off Lte is easy.

With AT&T is a single radio managing network connections. I had the GNote for nearly a month and did not have any battery issues bcs of Lte

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Here's the deal...it works I know its works I did it in Chicago when I first found out with no issues. There is 3 APN's you can choose from, the ESP.Cingular, PTA (LTE) and the third is "phone" which can also be only a HSPA APN. There is no way it switches back to LTE APN that would be a major flaw in your OS and I would get that checked.

MXKenpachi

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Canada with Koodo and my APN is sp.Koodo.com, now this provider does not carry lte. My phone times to time is looking for the lte (some days it can be a hole day, this means I have no internet). Is there something I can do like the AT&T Network and change my APN so I only use 4g. By the way my phone is an unlocked AT&T with ics 4.0.4

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Using the custom APN, I find that I occasionally get signal drops. It stays on 3G, but then drops the signal completely every once in a while. Battery life has been much better than with LTE on, but the signal is unreliable. I have tried several APNs and I get the same results.

The HSPA+ APN that you find on some forums is the one that causes the phone to revert to LTE. The basic wap.cingular ones hit the slower backbone and don't flag as LTE on this phone. But the signal drops are annoying. I've been running on that APN all day with "No Signal" app monitoring in the background and I have seen some pretty regular signal drops.

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Using the custom APN, I find that I occasionally get signal drops. It stays on 3G, but then drops the signal completely every once in a while. Battery life has been much better than with LTE on, but the signal is unreliable. I have tried several APNs and I get the same results.

The HSPA+ APN that you find on some forums is the one that causes the phone to revert to LTE. The basic wap.cingular ones hit the slower backbone and don't flag as LTE on this phone. But the signal drops are annoying. I've been running on that APN all day with "No Signal" app monitoring in the background and I have seen some pretty regular signal drops.

I know what your saying. Its kinda been a trial by fire for me. Found out with those apn's you bed to set your MMS server settings to or you won't get picture mail

wado1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Well my friends I have found the answer...please note if you don't have ICS build on your phone I'm not sure if this will work but I am running ICS 4.0.4 UCLE2 build and this should work for all ICS builds.

1.Click on Menu button and go to Settings.

2. Go to "More....", once in, click on "Mobile Networks"

3. Go to "Access Point Names"

4. Once in you will see "AT&T PTA" with a radial button as your only option. This is the default gateway.

5. Click on Menu button below, and you will have two choices, "New APN" or "Reset to default" click on New APN.

You will see a series of lines under "Edit Access Point" and click on "APN" and enter as follows "wap.cingular"

If you like you can rename the "Name" to whatever you like...I used "AT&T HSPA+"

Click "Save"

This will give you access to HSPA+ network only. I found this info online for the Galaxy S3 with ICS coming stock. This is an ICS only option I believe, I don't recall cause I dumped the Gingerbread 2.3.6 cause it was burning up batteries like crazy.

Please be advised I have the Galaxy SII Skyrocket, they are building the LTE network in my area as we speak and I was getting all sorts of interference from their testing and upgrades so until its complete I'm running HSPA+ only and the problems went away.

Hope this helps! :)

This just worked for me.

Take note that your phone notification still says 4G BUT the LTE part at the bottom of the notification is not there.

I wanted to test to see if there was a difference so I connected to the WAP APN and ran speed test twice. My results are below

ping 149ms Down 6.68mbps Up 1.12mbps
ping 93ms Down 5.75mbps Up 1.08mbps

This showed me that I had to be off LTE because the ping was higher than my LTE test, there was no LTE symbol in the notification, both Down/Up speeds were lower.

I switched back to PTA and the LTE symbol didn't come on, so I put the phone in Airplane mode, then took Airplane mode off. The LTE symbol came back. I ran a speed test. My results are below

ping 58ms Down 18.14mbps Up 6.77mbps

So to me this proves that wap APN works.

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
This just worked for me.

Take note that your phone notification still says 4G BUT the LTE part at the bottom of the notification is not there.

I wanted to test to see if there was a difference so I connected to the WAP APN and ran speed test twice. My results are below

ping 149ms Down 6.68mbps Up 1.12mbps
ping 93ms Down 5.75mbps Up 1.08mbps

This showed me that I had to be off LTE because the ping was higher than my LTE test, there was no LTE symbol in the notification, both Down/Up speeds were lower.

I switched back to PTA and the LTE symbol didn't come on, so I put the phone in Airplane mode, then took Airplane mode off. The LTE symbol came back. I ran a speed test. My results are below

ping 58ms Down 18.14mbps Up 6.77mbps

So to me this proves that wap APN works.

Yes sir. Did it on my new galaxy s3 and it worked. Just gotta play with it a little. Please note you have to set your mms proxy settings though or you won't receive picture mail

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Is this still the best method for forcing LTE off? Are you guys still having good results or is the signal loss a common problem?

I assume just putting the APN and a name is not enough and we need to copy the MMS settings as well?

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Is this still the best method for forcing LTE off? Are you guys still having good results or is the signal loss a common problem?

I assume just putting the APN and a name is not enough and we need to copy the MMS settings as well?

Yeah you have to change the MMS settings or you won't receive picture mail. It will just say download but no picture. I say it works just for using phone and data but if you are having MMS problems after changing the settings you might have to go back to PTA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah you have to change the MMS settings or you won't receive picture mail. It will just say download but no picture. I say it works just for using phone and data but if you are having MMS problems after changing the settings you might have to go back to PTA

So do I copy just the MMS settings or should I copy every single setting in the current PTA - and change just the name/APN?

Roca68

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Canada with Koodo and my APN is sp.Koodo.com, now this provider does not carry lte. My phone times to time is looking for the lte (some days it can be a hole day, this means I have no internet). Is there something I can do like the AT&T Network and change my APN so I only use 4g. By the way my phone is an unlocked AT&T with ics 4.0.4
Hi, I am also in Canada and am expecting my ATT Unlocked GS3 in a few days. Did you have any issue using this with Koodo? I would appreciate any help that you can give me as I am new to Android from IOS. Thanks

Last edited:

drakegcoleman

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Barely pop out SIM card with out taking out battery
Open up phone
Dial *#2263#
Select WCDMA all
Pop sim card in
Hold power button down
Hit restart
This will put u on HSPA+