Totally stock AT&T I747 galaxy s3 won't charge and won't go past galaxy s3 splash screen

scottyscottscott

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,
My totally stock galaxyS3 has been working flawlessly for about 14 months now I am having a major problem. Last night I noticed it had shut off, so thinking that it just ran out of battery I plugged it in, but nothing happened. I changed cords/plugs/outlets and still no charging so I switched to my other fully charged battery and booted it up but it never goes past the Galaxy s3 splash screen. What I have tried:
1) remove battery for 1 minute, put battery back in, hold down power button for 20 seconds -> same thing as before, doesn't go past splash screen
2) hold down vol up-home button-power button -> it boots into an android guy with a blue atom like thing spinning in his belly but never does anything else, the blue thing spins and spins
3) subsequent tries to hold down vol up-home button-power button -> no android guy, just holds at the galaxy s3 splash screen
4) hold down vol down-home button-power button -> warning screen comes up, I hit volume up -> holds on "Downloading...Do not turn off target !!", on the upper left it says:
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-I747
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
Qualcom Secureboot: ENABLE
5) Tried to use kies and selected "firmware and initialization", it told me to remove the battery, then do hold down vol down-home button-power button which all worked fine and went into same mode as before, when i plugged the phone into the computer the computer started downloading drivers which it said completed successfully, but after about 15 min of Kies downloading the firmware (I think), it said something along the lines of Failed connection or device not found remove battery and do everything again....upon try again, same thing.
6) noticed the mini USB port was dirty on the phone so I used a needle and got quite a bit of lint out of it, but all the same problems persist

Any ideas? Do you I need to take it back to AT&T?

Thanks for your help

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
These are the steps I use to reload the firmware using Kies - maybe some detail will stand out. If this isn't successful then it's time for a replacement. Very strange that there's been a rash of this particular issue lately.

Here's an overview of what to do:
- if you don't already have the Kies software installed on your PC, download it (just search Google) and install it. The first time it runs it'll update itself to the latest version so make sure you run it once before proceeding.
- put your phone in Download mode: with the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Down and Home and Power buttons simultaneously, and release them all when you see the Samsung splash screen
- connect the phone to your PC with the USB cable that came with the phone
-- if you've never had the phone connected to your Windows-based computer before, you'll see messages about installing drivers, etc - just wait until this is done (may take 5 or 10 minutes) [I don't know what happens if you have a Mac - it probably just works]
- in the Kies software, select the second item in the Tools menu and just follow the prompts to enter the model number (in CAPS) and IMEI/Serial Number (both found under the battery - it's ok to remove the battery at this point)
- the Kies software should start downloading the correct firmware for your phone from the Internet; once that's done (depending on your Internet connection speed) it'll begin downloading that to the phone (this probably takes 10 minutes or so)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

scottyscottscott

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes these are the exact steps that I followed, and after kies downloaded the firmware and I assume started to try to transfer it to the phone, it said something along the lines of the phone can't be detected (even though the drivers installed fine, according to windows).

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Time for a replacement (if you have insurance) or repair via Samsung.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Asurioncares

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,
My totally stock galaxyS3 has been working flawlessly for about 14 months now I am having a major problem. Last night I noticed it had shut off, so thinking that it just ran out of battery I plugged it in, but nothing happened. I changed cords/plugs/outlets and still no charging so I switched to my other fully charged battery and booted it up but it never goes past the Galaxy s3 splash screen. What I have tried:
1) remove battery for 1 minute, put battery back in, hold down power button for 20 seconds -> same thing as before, doesn't go past splash screen
2) hold down vol up-home button-power button -> it boots into an android guy with a blue atom like thing spinning in his belly but never does anything else, the blue thing spins and spins
3) subsequent tries to hold down vol up-home button-power button -> no android guy, just holds at the galaxy s3 splash screen
4) hold down vol down-home button-power button -> warning screen comes up, I hit volume up -> holds on "Downloading...Do not turn off target !!", on the upper left it says:
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-I747
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
Qualcom Secureboot: ENABLE
5) Tried to use kies and selected "firmware and initialization", it told me to remove the battery, then do hold down vol down-home button-power button which all worked fine and went into same mode as before, when i plugged the phone into the computer the computer started downloading drivers which it said completed successfully, but after about 15 min of Kies downloading the firmware (I think), it said something along the lines of Failed connection or device not found remove battery and do everything again....upon try again, same thing.
6) noticed the mini USB port was dirty on the phone so I used a needle and got quite a bit of lint out of it, but all the same problems persist

Any ideas? Do you I need to take it back to AT&T?

Thanks for your help

Hi scottyscottscott:

Phone problems are no fun! :( However, if you have insurance, you can file a claim. Do you have Asurion coverage? If so, we'd love to help you. You can file a claim in minutes at Welcome to Phoneclaim.com, 24/7. Most phones arrive within 1-2 business days. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Thanks!

Asurion Social Media Team
@AsurionCares