Accelerometer Issues (auto-rotate is slow)

netposer

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Is it me or does the auto-rotate feature on Android suck?

My Captivate, my Inspire 4G and my Galaxy Tab (7") suck when it comes to the accelerometer.

It's slow... as in it takes a second or longer most of the time.

I can grab any iOS device and it's immediate.

I've "calibrated" my G-sensor but that did not help.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Is it me or does the auto-rotate feature on Android suck?

My Captivate, my Inspire 4G and my Galaxy Tab (7") suck when it comes to the accelerometer.

It's slow... as in it takes a second or longer most of the time.

I can grab any iOS device and it's immediate.

I've "calibrated" my G-sensor but that did not help.

If one second is that important to you, I suggest you stick to iOS. You are going to need all those extra seconds everytime you have to connect to iTunes just to do something to your phone.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Jalarm

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
If one second is that important to you, I suggest you stick to iOS. You are going to need all those extra seconds everytime you have to connect to iTunes just to do something to your phone.

He's got a point, one second is not a huge deal. I'm perfectly fine with it.

brad_wp

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I think that a short delay is preferable to keep the phone from rotating unintentionally. I would almost prefer more of a delay as I tend to accidentaly switch layout quite a bit.

netposer

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site

For one I said "a second or more" the "more" part being important.

And before you want to be an ass learn how to read and comprehend before you reply.

No where in my post did I say I own an iOS device or use iTunes.

repligator

May 2, 2011
Visit site
It really comes down to price. Apple pours loads of man-hours on little things like that and banks on customers that are willing to pay 400% more for the privilege of supporting their R&D excesses.

Check out the prices for an iphone4 (3GS) REFURB with contract.

I once had a debate with a programmer friend who was very impressed with the circular button interface of the ipod. Sure its nice, but is that in itself worth an extra $100 and the associated irritation with using the apple itunes syncing.

I have a Sansa clip that my wife and use for jogging. It has a micro sd card slot, fm tuner, folder view, voice recorder, lcd display, and a mini usb port which allows us to quickly load podcasts and music like a flash drive. meanwhile, the more expensive ipod shuffle that my wife got as a gift (which has NONE of these features) has been sitting in drawer untouched for over a year. /RANT

brad_wp

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I think one of the root reasons behind this is all hardware has a limit. No matter how bleeding edge the technology we have is, most of us wish there was something that our device did that it doesn't do, or least did/does better. When you purchase a device you are consciously or subconsciously deciding on a compromise on what functions or capabilities are important to you and what things are not important to you.

Most of us chose Android based phones (at least those that regularly peruse this and other forums), because we want the openness and don't want to be told what we can and can't do with our phones, which is not 100% true in Android/AT&T/U.S. mobile phone industry, but close enough. My opinion on the matter is that the iOS devices sometimes seem to outperform other devices because Big Brother doesn't allow things on his devices that push them to the limit of their capabilities. We don't have that kind of governor on our devices, and sometimes ask them to do slightly more than the hardware is capable of doing, or at least push them to the limit of their capabilities.

You shouldn't complain about your poor gas mileage if you drive around with your foot on the floor, max accelerating and braking everywhere you go.

Last edited:

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
For one I said "a second or more" the "more" part being important.

And before you want to be an ass learn how to read and comprehend before you reply.

No where in my post did I say I own an iOS device or use iTunes.

One second, two seconds, three seconds. If it is that important, make the switch. When you do, you will need iTunes. Learn to comprehend and you would have understood that.

FreakyFranks

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
"Learn to comprehend and you would have understood that."

Don't be a doosh (and please don't correct me and my spelling, which would increase your dooshyness). Totally unnecessary comment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthHONK