Why is the AT&T Inspire so heavily discounted?

mojosingle

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I am looking around at the various HTC phones and I have noticed that of the 4 that I am considering (Sprint Evo, Verizon Thunderbolt, Tmo Sensation & AT&T Inspire) that the Inspire is the most heavily discounted of the phones.

It is $29 at Amazon right now:
Amazon AT&T Inspire Now $29

I know the phones came out at various times but isn't the Sprint Evo the first of these phones to have arrived? Why is the AT&T Inspire so heavily discounted? Am I missing something? The pricing has me considering this phone, but also wondering if there is something wrong that I don't know about? Thanks all.

EDIT: Ok I just checked, it is $19.99 at Walmart.

UnfocusedHTC

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
At. Radio shack you can get both colors of the inspire for $29.99. I checked with my local Walmart and they still have it for $89.99

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
From what i understand from when i last spoke to an HTC rep. They said they wanted to sell more of these phones more quickly, so they were willing to eat more of the price and discount it further

RoboWarrior

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I also thought this was a little fishy that this phone would be so heavily discounted. But after I bought the phone I am heavily pleased with it. Even without dual core its flash playback is faster than Tegra 2 processor (something weird about adobe's optimization). Burnout joke this probably better than attic and infuse. Remember it is the 4 best and most popular phone in the us, even androidcentral said that!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

mojosingle

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Loss leader?

From what i understand from when i last spoke to an HTC rep. They said they wanted to sell more of these phones more quickly, so they were willing to eat more of the price and discount it further
More so of the Inspire than the Evo or some of the others? I wonder why?
15dier.gif

ShippsAhoy

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
My friend has the Thunderbolt and spent a couple hundred dollars on it. I got my Inspire for free at Costco (temporary sale they were running), and there's no perceivable difference. Spend more money if you want, but I'm completely happy with my Inspire. And AT&T's network has been fine for me for 10 years.

raver_returns

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
This is just an opinion, but I feel like AT&T is DESPERATELY trying to show that iPhone isn't the only great phone on their network anymore. (since they lost the exclusivity deal) Even the price of the Infuse has dropped drastically since it's first weeks out. AT&T's phones have always been significantly cheaper at alternate suppliers, though. Personally, I expect their Android options to explode and dwarf iPhone's appeal in the next year.

Jimbo5000

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I seem to recall some free offers around xmas time last year for the Inspire. I wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger on the deal at that time so I missed the boat. Still, I think it's a pretty awesome phone. :)

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I seem to recall some free offers around xmas time last year for the Inspire. I wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger on the deal at that time so I missed the boat. Still, I think it's a pretty awesome phone. :)

The Inspire was released in early Feb.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

JackImageX

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I got mine last weekend for $19.99 at Costco on upgrade. Gave my wife my Samsung Galaxy S (she upgraded from an iPhone 3G which was almost nonfunctional because of Apple's software bloat). She's happy because she gets the functionality of Android and I'm happy because the HTC Inspire works great with a 4.3 inch screen :)

Having said that, I've used the Galaxy S (bought it the day it came out) and I've used the Inspire for a week and in my opinion, the Inspire is a better phone. It's not the 4g (which I don't think AT&T has available in my area plus, is it really 4G?). It's the way HTC does Android. They integrate things better and add all of the little things that I wish I had with the Galaxy S.

I'm not badmouthing the Galaxy S. I loved that phone as well but HTC's Sense software just makes their phone better.

Fyrewall

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The Inspire 4G is probably going to be the best value of all time in my opinion. $29.99 at Radioshack for an Android phone that's pretty new, Android 2.2, good processor, 4.3 inch screen, and if you sign up for the AT&T contract it's just $100. Best value ever.

trevorr77

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I got mine last weekend for $19.99 at Costco on upgrade. Gave my wife my Samsung Galaxy S (she upgraded from an iPhone 3G which was almost nonfunctional because of Apple's software bloat). She's happy because she gets the functionality of Android and I'm happy because the HTC Inspire works great with a 4.3 inch screen :)

Having said that, I've used the Galaxy S (bought it the day it came out) and I've used the Inspire for a week and in my opinion, the Inspire is a better phone. It's not the 4g (which I don't think AT&T has available in my area plus, is it really 4G?). It's the way HTC does Android. They integrate things better and add all of the little things that I wish I had with the Galaxy S.

I'm not badmouthing the Galaxy S. I loved that phone as well but HTC's Sense software just makes their phone better.

Wow...almost the exact same experience here. Wife on iPhone, I was on the Captivate. I just upgraded to the Inspire and she's going to take over my Captivate as a trial to see if she likes Android. She's due for an upgrade and wants to either get the iPhone 5 or if she likes android, a new Android option later this summer. I liked the Captivate but there were things about it that really bugged me (the GPS, battery life, etc). So far, I looooove the Inspire. Its lightning fast, battery life is much better so far, I like sense more, etc.

Jalarm

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I hated my captivate. You had to wait like 3 seconds after pressing the home button for to actually go home. It was s laggy mess.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

repligator

May 2, 2011
Visit site
First off, I love this phone,

But I'm guessing that the lack of a front-facing camera makes retailers believe it will hinder future sales.

No netflix streaming without extra help sucks.

Battery life not great either.

raver_returns

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Wow...almost the exact same experience here. Wife on iPhone, I was on the Captivate. I just upgraded to the Inspire and she's going to take over my Captivate as a trial to see if she likes Android. She's due for an upgrade and wants to either get the iPhone 5 or if she likes android, a new Android option later this summer. I liked the Captivate but there were things about it that really bugged me (the GPS, battery life, etc). So far, I looooove the Inspire. Its lightning fast, battery life is much better so far, I like sense more, etc.

If you want to see something REALLY cool coming out later this year, check this out. Best i can tell so far, HTC seems to have about the best build quality around.

HTC Holiday, Lead Tipped as AT&T 4G LTE Launch Devices

raver_returns

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Holiday looks great, any idea on the initial cost?

No, not yet. Still no release date, either. If AT&T's track record is any suggestion, I'd expect it to be about 200. Still, if you wait until a month or so after the release, you'll probably get it on Amazon for at least half off the initial price.