Data usage when unlocking the phone?

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone noticed that there is network activity right after you unlock your phone? Its not a ROM only issue as it did it to me when the phone was stock. Anyone know what the hell the phone is doing and why? Can/should we try to stop it from doing so?

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok I guess unlocking may not be the right word I don't have a pattern lock on just the slider. I'm wondering if its a program that I that I keep installing. If anyone is using experia straight out of the box (so to speak) please let me know if you see this. I really don't want to wipe the system just to see if its an issue with a program.

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Lol. Could it be that putting a lock on the phone is turning network/ data off? For security or battery saving. Unless it didn't do it until installing / restoring apps. Wow, I reread what I type and I don't sound very helpful.loi l just put a pattern lock on mine, I don't see anything change on screen or in notification Bar. I am useing oxygen rom though. I guess maybe knowing what icon your seeing? Youcould allways play the uninstall game till it stops?

dmullens

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
@donavan could it be a weather app (or a similar app) that is trying to get a quick update? I've noticed it on my phone (especially when it tries to use 3G data while I'm on Wifi). I'm rooted, but running the stock ROM (Thrive phone).

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
yeah thats what I was thinking... Im just trying to track down what is actually doing it. I'm running Experia's ROM and no weather app so I know its not the weather. I have turn off everything but syncing and essential things that need to talk on the 3G. I was wondering if it was the phone trying to sync the contacts or something. It doesnt seem to be a lot of data just a blip on the scope and then its inactive. Is the phone reporting when its lock/unlocked back to home base or something?

dmullens

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
When I first got my phone it was using a lot of data. I kept trying to track down what was doing it. "Network location" was one. The dialer was another. I would be interested in knowing what you find out. It seemed to me that my phone was connecting to something...somewhere...I just wanted to know what and where.

I haven't found any of the 3g "watcher" apps to be real accurate, so it's hard to track down what is using data and why. Is it something in the kernel? If so, I wonder if it is contacting Google. Is this how they know how many phones are actively being used?

Do you know how much data? Even a small amount can contain quite a bit of data. Would be nice to know what are phones are doing :/

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non