Wifi?

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
So I'm browsing over the G2's specs and I don't see any mention of being able to connect via wifi. If T-Mobile brings UMA calling to Android devices I think this could be a HUGE problem with this phone, and definitely a big negative for me. I don't know guys, am I missing something?

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I really want this phone, but if it doesn't have WiFi, I'm not interested.

The Good News- T-Mobile had a large FAQ in their official forums on the G2 (which has since been taken down) answering all our questions!

The Bad News- It said flat out "No" on UMA calling and "Yeah maybe later" on Mobile Hotspot

The Good News- Am I correct in remembering that to be a "With Google" phone you need Wifi, GPS, and Bluetooth?

breakmedown

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
That sucks it's been taken down. As for UMA, I really don't care too much, I'm with AT&T so I'd be unlocking it and bringing it over. That, howevery, is the reason I want WiFi. With the chances that it connects to the 3G AT&T network not likely (and I seriously doubt it would do AT&T 3G+) I'd want WiFi to supplement the data usage with.

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Dude, nobody is making an Android phone without Wifi. This is a stupid discussion, the G1 had Wifi.

Whether it has UMA? Now that's freakin interesting... unfortunately NoSpin seems to have knowledge that it's straight up "no"

uelsimon

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
To my knowledge the only phones really to have UMA are BBY devices. Wifi is a moot point. if its a smart phone it will obviously have wifi. check the specs again I think it mentions 802.11 g/b/

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
UMA would be freakin interesting, and I hope for your guys' sakes that it has it, but I get great service in my place. Would *definitely* be sweet to have anyways. Any idea if it uses less battery than GSM?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
To my knowledge the only phones really to have UMA are BBY devices. Wifi is a moot point. if its a smart phone it will obviously have wifi. check the specs again I think it mentions 802.11 g/b/

If they are going to put Wifi in the G2, why not put 802.11 g/b/n??? N is the newest standard and has been the standard in most laptops for some time now.