Manual / OTA update... experiences?

NEST600

Jul 29, 2010
twitter.com
Did mine a bit ago and here is what I've noticed so far:

FIXES:
- Lock/unlock sounds
- Goggles installation can now be updated
- The TTS Extended Pico vs. eSpeak bug is finally set so eSpeak can't win. I'm OK with that. ;-)

IMPROVEMENTS/FIXES:
- The 3G dropping to 2G randomly and not coming back easily seems better in the areas I had it most.
- Market FC, phone rebooting, seem better under 'stress' already. The consistent Network Retry messages I was getting compared to another TMO phone in the same space have poofed.

NEW:

- WiFi calling, and when it's on it automatically also turns on the use 2G networks only. When it's off the 2G switch goes back to normal.
- Tethering
- WiFi hotspot w/ when enabled turns off WiFi but doesn't automatically turn WiFi back on when hotspot is turned off. I would think it should but it's not for me.

That's the short two hours of use version.. -Pk

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
No manual update for me

OK I got the update to work i think it says im at version 1.22.531.8 , i hope this is the version the upgrade puts us at. The next screen talks about wifi calling so i believe thats the update. Now I hope the G2 can keep its 3G connection in Harrisburg instead of jumping around on GPRS or EDGE.

Last edited:

Hollahard

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I just did the update and it work. When you rename the file, are you renaming it "update"? I know some that that tried to rename it "update.zip" but you don't have to add the ".zip" That is just the extension file name. When you rename the file ".zip" will automatically be included. It may not show when renaming because you may not have the show extension file name selected in your Windows OS option.

wombat2k

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Phone vibrating every 10 seconds

Just updated manually as per the directions and the phone is vibrating every 10 seconds. Other than that, the update seemed to take. I can see the wifi calling. I tried to do a factory reset and re-apply the update, but it's still buzzing every 10 seconds.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
@ hollahard I had problems with it and it was all my fault. I am kicking myself in the head because I renamed it update.zip on windows xp. I know from my G1 you just name it update and windows adds the .zip its elementary what i did wrong just had to step back and take a good look at my problem and figuered it out. Theres nothing wrong with the link as long as you know how to use it.

hyperj

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
update went smooth here....wifi calling is clear and steady.....receiving mms and text in areas that previously had no signal. i like it so far....

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I lurrrrv wifi calling in my apartment. Reception in my apartment was fine before, but now it's REALLY fine.

GearSecond

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I did the update but for some reason, I keep getting an error when trying to enable wi-fi calling. There error I keep getting is "W006.15 ISP or T-Mobile Network Error."

Kyran

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I updated manually and it was uneventful, which is good. However, now my G2 seems to be confused about my location every now and again. It'll pinpoint it normal, then I move halfway across the city and it'll still just assume I'm at the old location. That made it quite difficult to get a GPS lock too.

Hopefully this does not persist.

mythman

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
I did the manual update yesterday and everything is working fine.
I got WIFI calling and it seem that my applications are working faster.

However, no improvement seen with my battery life........guess, I will just have to have a lot of chargers around.

Ruggles

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I did the OTA update and now my phone vibrates for about a second every 10 seconds regardless of what the phone is doing - on a call, updating, playing music... Even vibrates after and during a hard reboot or startup. When actually connected to wifi with wifi calling on, it will sometimes vibrate continually for 5 seconds. Took it in to the store and they are sending me a new phone.

bbetenson

Nov 5, 2010
influxpc.com
Update went perfect! Showed successful update message and version 1.22.531.8. Wi-Fi calling is smooth and as of yet haven't lost connection. Wi-Fi calling uses plan minutes but gives you a great connection if you are located in an area which has poor reception (low bars). Thanks AC for posting the blog on how to update early. Well worth the effort compared to waiting for T-Mobile to push this update to my phone.

helmdawg

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
I received my update this morning.. How would I know if my calls are being made over wifi? When I had my BB, I would have a UMA signal indicator at the top....

bbetenson

Nov 5, 2010
influxpc.com
Should have a blue "Wi-Fi Calling Ready" icon up in the system tray.
Go check out the "Wi-Fi Calling" app and see if Wi-Fi calling is On; if not slide it on and test it out. Your network bars will go grey if it is working correctly.

Reactions: helmdawg

helmdawg

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
Should have a blue "Wi-Fi Calling Ready" icon up in the system tray.
Go check out the "Wi-Fi Calling" app and see if Wi-Fi calling is On; if not slide it on and test it out. Your network bars will go grey if it is working correctly.

Thanks! I didn't even realize I has the icon waiting! :D

joemm

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I did the manual update yesterday and everything is working fine.
I got WIFI calling and it seem that my applications are working faster.

However, no improvement seen with my battery life........guess, I will just have to have a lot of chargers around.

I am using the red Chichitech EVO 1800 Mah batteries I got from Amazon and my battery life has improved probably 30%. Check out the thread on XDA developers in the G2 section under accessories.

NEST600

Jul 29, 2010
twitter.com
Oddly enough the one thing about this update I don't like is WiFi calling. It just hasn't worked well for me. When enabled the calls are choppy, when set to prefer the cellular network, it makes cell calls choppy. Until I disabled it completely, the call quality stays poor. Weird behavior... and I seem to be the only one having this problem so far. I'd sum it up to the router but I tried against a few APs and different sites. Same results. Oh well, for now I'm a-OK.... -Pk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggles