Switch from Verizon to T-Mobile to Google Voice

SuperTongue

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking to switch to TMO after getting a Moto X to test the network with last week. Obviously, I want to take advantage of the ETF program. We are game for trading in our phones and all that, but my main question is:

How can I move to Google Voice and still take advantage of this program? From reading around, it looks like you have to transfer your number to TMO to qualify for the ETF payment. So how do I then get to Voice? Or, considering Google said nothing about Voice yesterday, would this be a bad idea?

Thanks for the help ahead of time! :)

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Should be easy. Move your number to T-Mobile and keep it there until you receive your ETF reimbursement. After that, tell T-Mobile that you will be moving your number to a different provider but you'd like a new number activated in its place. Then move the number to Google Voice as usual.

SuperTongue

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Should be easy. Move your number to T-Mobile and keep it there until you receive your ETF reimbursement. After that, tell T-Mobile that you will be moving your number to a different provider but you'd like a new number activated in its place. Then move the number to Google Voice as usual.

Great - thanks! That's how I imagined it would play out. Assuming I do switch to T-Mobile (which at this point it seems likely), I'll report back here on whether or not the Google Voice move worked for anyone else looking into it in the future.

SuperTongue

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Alright - finally, an update!

So for any of you people hitting Google for this rather obscure question, here's what went down:

1. I made the jump. Ported my two numbers in and cancelled my Verizon service. Also purchased two phones (on an EIP) as required by the ETF reimbursement.
  2. Traded the 2 Verizon phones in (required for the ETF payment). Waited to receive credit before moving onto the next step.
  3. Processed the ETF reimbursement. By this time, I had already paid Verizon but that was expected. Waited until I received the prepaid Visa card in the mail before moving onto the next step.
  4. Called T-Mobile and asked how I would go about porting my number out while keeping service. It is important you call and ask about this beforehand so they can notate on the account.
  5. Immediately went to the Google Voice site and processed the port. Once it was submitted (not fully processed), I called support back (as I was told to do so by the previous rep).
  6. Mentioned there should be a note about what was going on and explained it as well. I was told that the number I currently have is "mine" for 30 days after the number change and I can do with it what I want. After 30 days, it goes back out into the wild for anyone to get.
  7. He went ahead and got me a new number and set me up with it. No new SIM card required. I was also told there's normally a $15 charge for this, but he waived it (even without me asking, I imagine it's because I'm keeping the line anyway).

So that's about it. I'm now waiting and will update this post when it's all working. My new T-Mobile number was assigned a few minutes after the call and two phone resets. My Google Voice port is still in progress.

So assuming there are no hiccups in the transfer process, this whole thing was relatively painless. All of the reps I spoke to were knowledgable and very helpful. Just be sure to contact them before the port to get everything notated and then immediately after so your service isn't disrupted or your EIP becomes due in full.

Thanks to everyone else for the help along the way! Loving my new magenta carrier!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Alright - finally, an update!

So for any of you people hitting Google for this rather obscure question, here's what went down:

1. I made the jump. Ported my two numbers in and cancelled my Verizon service. Also purchased two phones (on an EIP) as required by the ETF reimbursement.
  2. Traded the 2 Verizon phones in (required for the ETF payment). Waited to receive credit before moving onto the next step.
  3. Processed the ETF reimbursement. By this time, I had already paid Verizon but that was expected. Waited until I received the prepaid Visa card in the mail before moving onto the next step.
  4. Called T-Mobile and asked how I would go about porting my number out while keeping service. It is important you call and ask about this beforehand so they can notate on the account.
  5. Immediately went to the Google Voice site and processed the port. Once it was submitted (not fully processed), I called support back (as I was told to do so by the previous rep).
  6. Mentioned there should be a note about what was going on and explained it as well. I was told that the number I currently have is "mine" for 30 days after the number change and I can do with it what I want. After 30 days, it goes back out into the wild for anyone to get.
  7. He went ahead and got me a new number and set me up with it. No new SIM card required. I was also told there's normally a $15 charge for this, but he waived it (even without me asking, I imagine it's because I'm keeping the line anyway).

So that's about it. I'm now waiting and will update this post when it's all working. My new T-Mobile number was assigned a few minutes after the call and two phone resets. My Google Voice port is still in progress.

So assuming there are no hiccups in the transfer process, this whole thing was relatively painless. All of the reps I spoke to were knowledgable and very helpful. Just be sure to contact them before the port to get everything notated and then immediately after so your service isn't disrupted or your EIP becomes due in full.

Thanks to everyone else for the help along the way! Loving my new magenta carrier!

Thanks for letting others know how this worked out for you! :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez