Verizon phone on T-Mobile network

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: verizon phone on tmobile network

Is there a reason you don't just get a T-Mo phone for complete compatibility?

Here's the deal... You can check phone specs for radios at several sources. I use gsmarena others like phonearena... whatever...

The thing for you to keep in mind is that LTE for T-Mo needs to be band 4 and include 1700 MHz for downlink and 2100 MHz for uplink. In areas where LTE is not turned on (refarmed) T-Mo is using that 1700 frequency for 3G/H+ so you want to see 1700 on that 3G radio. 1900 is required on the 2G radio for EDGE.

Happy phone hunting.

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: verizon phone on tmobile network

Most new Verizon phones can support VERIZON and TMOBILE, also looks like it might support sprint? Correct that ATT has 1 band that most other carriers dont

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Other than the 5s and 5c, most other Verizon 4GLTE smartphones do not support AT&T's primary lte band 17.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Verizon won't work...it's CDMA and only uses the Sim card for lte data, sorry others have lied to you

Posted via the Android Central App

This is incorrect. All new Verizon phones will work on T-Mobile since, as dpham said, they have the band support.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The Sim card is only used for lte data ( gsm)....voice is on the CDMA portion.

Again incorrect. Newer devices can handle all transmission. I have an iPhone 6+ (Verizon) that works 100% on the network (T-Mobile) as other devices (like my Note 4) work.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
The Sim card is only used for lte data ( gsm)....voice is on the CDMA portion.

As I understand it, Verizon voice calls do use CDMA, but, since TMobile and AT&T don't use CDMA, they can use a Verizon 4G phone to make and receive calls.

Verizon 4G phones are factory unlocked and the CDMA radios are not used while activated on a GSM network.

I recently used an upgrade on my Verizon account to get an Iphone 6+ that I gave to my dad for Christmas.
He's on AT&T and was able to activate it with no issue and has full compatibility with AT&T.

IIRC, the only Verizon phones that are 100% compatible with AT&T and TMobile are the Iphone 5c, 5s, 6, and 6+

Last edited:

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
It was a Verizon Iphone 6+ that I gave my dad to use on AT&T. It works fine. I did not take a TMobile phone to AT&T. Everyone knows you can do this.

The Verizon Iphone 5c, 5s, 6, and 6+ will work just fine out of the box on TMO or AT&T.

Switching carriers? You may be able to take your iPhone 5S with you - CNET

And, not that it matters, the Tmobile Iphone 6/6+ will work just fine out of the box on Verizon, provided you already have an active Verizon sim.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1784285

Last edited by a moderator:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Distel you're correct. Verizon phones will work on T-Mobile. I have an iPhone 6+ myself (Verizon version) and it works just fine on the T-Mobile network.

MM48

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
My verizon note 3 works just fine with a t-mobile sim installed. Full 4gLTE. I've gotten up to 70mbit/down at work.

Basically all the verizon samsung phones, S4 and newer, have band 4 support, so you're all set with t-mobile.

The Note 2 will work on t-mobile, however you can only get H and H+ due to the device not having band 4 support.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Gotwoguy others phones also work. All the newer phones at Verizon also have GSM radios in them. The reason for this is because networks outside the U.S. Are GSM only. If Verizon didn't have these radios it wouldn't work outside the U.S.

Therefore newer phones will work on ATT and T-Mobile since they have GSM radios. The CDMA radios just don't work and the GSM ones take over.

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
You're soooo very correct... I have a Galaxy Note 4 that I just transferred from Verizon to T-Mobile and so far I'm able to use it in every way except one. When I make a phone call the 4G LTE/H+/H/E data disables immediately preventing me from surfing the internet and using apps until the call has ended. This is frustrating and I've been looking for a solution but I've been coming up empty. Do you have any suggetstions for a fix Ambassador?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You're soooo very correct... I have a Galaxy Note 4 that I just transferred from Verizon to T-Mobile and so far I'm able to use it in every way except one. When I make a phone call the 4G LTE/H+/H/E data disables immediately preventing me from surfing the internet and using apps until the call has ended. This is frustrating and I've been looking for a solution but I've been coming up empty. Do you have any suggetstions for a fix Ambassador?
The Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 will not support simultaneous voice and data over 4GLTE on tmo. The Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 doesn't currently support volte.

Yet setting the network mode to gsm/utms. It might support simultaneous voice and data there, assuming Verizon didn't disable it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 will not support simultaneous voice and data over 4GLTE on tmo. The Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 doesn't currently support volte.

Yet setting the network mode to gsm/utms. It might support simultaneous voice and data there, assuming Verizon didn't disable it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

This. Try changing the mode to see if it will allow voice and data over HSPA.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I just finisished my T-Mobile Test Drive with the iPhone they supply.
I got screaming fast speeds and it showed LTE next to the bars.
Now I'm trying their network in my Verizon Note 2.
I put an activated T-Mobile sim in my Verizon Note 2.
I set the APN to fast.t-mobile.com
It shows the bars with 3g, H, and H+, but it isn't showing LTE.
Everything works.
Is there something I'm missing?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
@berdinkerdinkle: The Verizon version of the Note 2 is not compatible with T-Mobile 4G LTE. Sorry.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non