Unlimited Data Plan

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
How many of you guys are lucky enough to be grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited data plan (for $25 a month)? When I got my new phone, I was super disappointed to learn that my previous unlimited data plan (for a NON-smartphone) would NOT allow me to be grandfathered into a new (smartphone) unlimited data plan... which I think is just rotten. I am currently on the 200 MB/month plan and it's clear that I need to be bumped up to the 2 GB/month plan... but I think once Netflix is released for our phone, and we start seeing more and more "fat pipe" apps being released, that even 2 GB/month won't be enough.

Soooooo, if anyone has any strategies -- or experience -- in weaseling my way into an unlimited data plan, I'm all ears. :D Otherwise, I gotta just bide my time and then defect over to Sprint when my contract is up in two years... actually, only 23 months by now! :p

Thanks, guys!

nicoled985

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Lol I have unlimited. I was grandfathered. I kept reitterating that they better keep me unlimited too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Egidio

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I paid more for the Infuse ($199) instead of the specials at Amazon simply because I wanted to keep my unlimited data plan.

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I paid more for the Infuse ($199) instead of the specials at Amazon simply because I wanted to keep my unlimited data plan.

Good call! Lemme tell ya, it stinks having to text *DATA# everyday to see how much data I have left for the month. That, and making sure I turn off auto-sync every time I leave my house. So envious of you guys! But I am hopeful that I can finagle it out of AT&T with a bit of sweet-talking...

Cranky

Professional
May 27, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't matter where you buy your Infuse, you still get grandfathered in. I bought mine at Walmart, but the lady couldn't transfer it. So, I then called AT&T and they transfered my unlimited plan from my BB to the Infuse.:cool:

radiojh

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
i am grandfathered too. but i have friends on the 25 a month data plan and they say they never even get the 60% usage text. i think i read that it is only like 1 to 2% of users on that plan even reach 60%.

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
i am grandfathered too. but i have friends on the 25 a month data plan and they say they never even get the 60% usage text. i think i read that it is only like 1 to 2% of users on that plan even reach 60%.

Mobile Netflix streams at 200-300 MB per hour. At that rate, I would eat through my entire month's data before the end of a typical movie. So, it totally depends on what you do with your phone... For my first month of service, I had to shut off data about two-thirds through my billing cycle so I wouldn't go over.

jdauria

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
sorry to take over the thread a little, but since i switched from blackberry to samsung infuse, my internet doesnt work on the phone. Is that due to blackberry data plan vs. smartphone data plan? If so, how do i change over. I already have the smartphone data plan (you need to select it when you purchase the phone)

icermize

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
How many of you guys are lucky enough to be grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited data plan (for $25 a month)? When I got my new phone, I was super disappointed to learn that my previous unlimited data plan (for a NON-smartphone) would NOT allow me to be grandfathered into a new (smartphone) unlimited data plan... which I think is just rotten. I am currently on the 200 MB/month plan and it's clear that I need to be bumped up to the 2 GB/month plan... but I think once Netflix is released for our phone, and we start seeing more and more "fat pipe" apps being released, that even 2 GB/month won't be enough.

Soooooo, if anyone has any strategies -- or experience -- in weaseling my way into an unlimited data plan, I'm all ears. :D Otherwise, I gotta just bide my time and then defect over to Sprint when my contract is up in two years... actually, only 23 months by now! :p

Thanks, guys!
I had an unlimited data plan with AT&T which was required when I bought the iPhone. When I switched to the Infuse I was notified that I had to change to a "Smartphone Data Plan", which was not of the unlimited variety. I advised AT&T that they can take back my Infuse and I'll use my upgrade toward the iPhone 4. Amazingly, they switched me to an unlimited "Smartphone Data Plan" for the price I had been paying.
I would not *characterize what I did as "weaseling". If there any "weasels" in the neighborhood, it's AT&T ;)

gtrmn

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
My unlimited plan from my iPhone 3GS is $30/month, the 2GB/month plan is $25. I also bought from an official AT&T store in order to keep the plan. For the record, I've never had any luck streaming Netflix over the 3G connection anyway, it's not fast enough.

mash4077

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
If you can get hold of an original iphone 2g pop in your sim and wait a bit then go online or call and get unlimited data plan wait a day put your sim back in Infuse and caal them and have your unlimited data plan transfered to your Infuse, people been doin this for a while now.

sigmamason

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
They are supposed to leave you as grandfathered regardless of the type of smartphone (iPhone, BB, WM7, Android or WebOS) you have.
If they try to change it at the store, then you can call business care (for those with premier discount) or customer care and they have to change it back. Your changing from one device to another is not a reason to change your plan unless you agree to it.

saxplayer

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Amazon would not let you check out unless you picked a plan, and a grandfathered plan was not an option.

I had this same problem. I called my local AT&T store and spoke with the manager who price-matched the $119.99 price and let me keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan. Pretty sweet :D

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I am grand fathered in but the day they try to take it away when I upgrade my phone or my contract runs out is the day I leave ATT. I'm really only with them because of the unlimited data plan. I think there is 2gb plan is ridiculous. I need at leat about 5gig to not get hit with overages and even 5gig is not that hard to hit. Will become much easier in the coming years. They know that and are dying to hit you with overages. My advice is as long at ATT had this ridiculous 2gb data plan don't even bother with these clowns.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38