3rd EVO

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
All builds 0003

1st EVO Build perfection until 2.2 OTA install so I exchanged for new.

2nd build was terrible -
Menu key ugly yellow when lite Which would result in bulb burn out in near future.
Battery door loose right side tabs not snapping into place which would result in cover falling off very near future.
Lots of light coming from ear phone jack which would result in dust under screen.
Power button hard to push sponge like feel which would result in cracks around power button.
USB connection port loose which would result in connector contacts to be shot fast

The 3rd is perfection no issue to be found.

Those within 30 days of purchase give your EVO a good looking over before settling & NEVER OTA updates their bad news for many.
Root first!

Last edited:

darrylb1

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
i have the extended battery from seido, etc.
my EVO has put my desktop and my laptop on ice. i use my EVO for every single thing. actually, i don't believe that these corporations ever imagined how useful smartphones might become. i use my EVO for things that i never did with those computers. ie., recently, with the places app i found a restaurant, ordered, picked up and got home with a perfect smorgasbord. it took maybe 20 - 30 seconds for my part.
!! !!! !!!!!
!EVO !!

QuasarZ

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm on my 4th.. 1st three were within the 30 days and I setteled on number 3 until I saw two of my freind's evos. I got the 4th under the manufacturer warranty and this one is perfect...best of all of them. I had light leakage, light bleed through, dead pixels, poor performance etc on the first 3.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Bad OTA flash :(
Browser crash & Signal strength drop.
0-1 bar in 5 bar territory Battery life went to heck as well.

Should of did a hard reset, nothing wrong with that phone. It's all software, and to come in here and say OTA's are bad. Your completely incorrect, you most likely had a program and or programs that were causing issues in Froyo. Not to mention it's always recommended to do a factory reset and start fresh after upgrading the OS. Which in this case, you obviously did not.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Should of did a hard reset, nothing wrong with that phone. It's all software.
Thanks for the advice unfortunately that didn't resolve issues being had.

and to come in here and say OTA's are bad. Your completely incorrect,
Wipe device Clean install is the proper way to upgrade OS No build clash occurs going that rout

Once again OTAs are bad

you most likely had a program and or programs that were causing issues in Froyo.
Unfortunately that wasn't the case.
A couple factory resets were applied clean slate no 3rd party installed.

Not to mention it's always recommended to do a factory reset and start fresh after upgrading the OS. Which in this case, you obviously did not.
Good stuff your very entertaining :)
Factory reset was applied a couple times lol
Anyway,
How about wiping device first then do fresh OS install.
Installing OS Builds on top of each other is a no no file clash is more likely to occur.
Do you agree?

My advice doing root staying away from OTA is a win win.
If updated rom doesn't sit right on your device you can wipe install again , If your not happy with update you can revert back to prior build no left overs either way.

10 years of smartphone using app building I knew better to OTA but did it anyway
I was 2.2 jump for joy happy not thinking of negative consequences OTA could bring & paid for it.

Last edited:

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice unfortunately that didn't resolve issues being had.

Wipe device Clean install is the proper way to upgrade OS No build clash occurs going that rout

Once again OTAs are bad

Unfortunately that wasn't the case.
A couple factory resets were applied clean slate no 3rd party installed.

Good stuff your very entertaining :)
Factory reset was applied a couple times lol
Anyway,
How about wiping device first then do fresh OS install.
Installing OS Builds on top of each other is a no no file clash is more likely to occur.
Do you agree?

My advice doing root staying away from OTA is a win win.
If updated rom doesn't sit right on your device you can wipe install again , If your not happy with update you can revert back to prior build no left overs either way.

10 years of smartphone using app building I knew better to OTA but did it anyway
I was 2.2 jump for joy happy not thinking of negative consequences OTA could bring & paid for it.

I just find it odd that the phone worked perfectly on 2.1, then software killed the hardware. It's very rare in any case for these events to even happen. Considering if this was the case it would be spread across all Evo phones. Then again the circumstances you may of had, could of changed that. Who knows.. I just know that my Evo on 2.2 is solid as a rock, and I know many others that agree.

dj2big

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
In another thread I explained how my EVO did not works properly after the update the latest problem I sometimes cannot charge th e battery led blinks orange I have to wait for best buy to be stocked to get an exchange

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
In another thread I explained how my EVO did not works properly after the update the latest problem I sometimes cannot charge th e battery led blinks orange I have to wait for best buy to be stocked to get an exchange

That does in fact sound hardware related.. Blinking orange doesn't sound good.

Have you tried a battery pull?

bcbbanga4l

Q&A Team
Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I will be getting my second evo some time this week maybe today or tomorrow. Still in my 30 days mine was not working right i bought it did not install nothing but the froyo and it started laggin and battery dying too quickly and i did not have any apps on it or nothing. Did not try a fresh install tho after the update maybe i should have. Will hope that this new one works fine if not ahhh idk.

bcbbanga4l

Q&A Team
Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
i have the extended battery from seido, etc.
my EVO has put my desktop and my laptop on ice. i use my EVO for every single thing. actually, i don't believe that these corporations ever imagined how useful smartphones might become. i use my EVO for things that i never did with those computers. ie., recently, with the places app i found a restaurant, ordered, picked up and got home with a perfect smorgasbord. it took maybe 20 - 30 seconds for my part.
!! !!! !!!!!
!EVO !!

Where did you get that battery? do you need a different back case for the phone if you get that battery?

dj2big

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I have bought an after market battery charger and battery so the battery pull is done at least 3 times daily

alvarezjpr

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm amazed at the fact that some of you are already on your third (or even fourth I think I read somewhere) Evo, and there are some people that would give an arm for having their first :)

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I just find it odd that the phone worked perfectly on 2.1, then software killed the hardware. It's very rare in any case for these events to even happen.
Actually its not rare.
WM , Blackberry OTA updates bring on issues that would normally not be common if Wipe DM install was used.
Android is no different which was proven by those that OTA with Adobe flash patch installed before update.
Hard boot cleaned the slate for some and not others left overs were still present.

Considering if this was the case it would be spread across all Evo phones. Then again the circumstances you may of had, could of changed that. Who knows.. I just know that my Evo on 2.2 is solid as a rock, and I know many others that agree.
Browser crash , battery drain and device freeze ups were widely reported in forums by those that installed OTA method.
My local Sprint store got 3 returns in one day from it.

Anyway its well know in smart phone geek world that Wipe device first then install update is the way to go.
If you find that hard to believe do some research on topic