5MP camera - downgrade?

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I had a 8mp camera on my evo. My evo 3d is 5mp and I see no difference. I print glossy prints from my phone to my web printer and people are amazed to learn they were taking from my phone and printed on a printer. One feature i use all the time is auto enhance. Take the picture, hit auto enhance, done. So I am sure the 5mp camera on this brand new beast will be more then Awsome. We are talking 3mp here. Very miniscule.

10.1/32 gig of fun!

palmor

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: 5MP camera

You mean the comparisons were inaccurate, right? So then, the pictures taken weren't really a fair test is what you're saying.

Yes, sorry.. aren't accurate :) The person who took the photos didn't understand how each camera meters. You can't really judge anything by those photos IMO.

John

rayawsum

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

Oh please, let's tone down the hyperbole just a bit , shall we? A few comparisons?
Pics look as good as the 4S ones here: PICS

The speed of the photo snapping is impressive as well: iPhone 4S vs Galaxy Nexus Camera speed test - YouTube

Not a fair comparison at all based off the this link!

Watch picture:
nexus has much finer detail compared to iphone picture

picture of guy:
nexus is focusing on the guy, while the iphone is focusing on the outside

picture of phone/mifi:
about equal... interesting that they wiped the fingerprints away in iphone picture and didn't include piece of paper for nexus picture

picture of cranes/buildings:
Based of the movement of the cranes, these pictures we're not taken at the same time or the same angle. I've been to Hong Kong and it is known for it's monsoons and cloudy weather. So in the amount of time that those cranes moved, new clouds probably moved in/out. Is it not fair judgement to use any aspect of the last picture, especially the mountains where smog is heavily always around.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Not a fair comparison at all based off the this link!

Watch picture:
nexus has much finer detail compared to iphone picture

picture of guy:
nexus is focusing on the guy, while the iphone is focusing on the outside

picture of phone/mifi:
about equal... interesting that they wiped the fingerprints away in iphone picture and didn't include piece of paper for nexus picture

picture of cranes/buildings:
Based of the movement of the cranes, these pictures we're not taken at the same time or the same angle. I've been to Hong Kong and it is known for it's monsoons and cloudy weather. So in the amount of time that those cranes moved, new clouds probably moved in/out. Is it not fair judgement to use any aspect of the last picture, especially the mountains where smog is heavily always around.

I missed the point of this post? Is it that the pics don't tell us much in comparison? If so, that was kind of my point: i.e. let's just see some real reviews ..

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site

i really hope its the same sensor which apple used on iPhone 4. No 8+mp smartphone camera came close to the quality of that thing.

I still have my Iphone 4 and while the camera is good it's not GREAT -- I think the 4S might be at the "Great Level" when combined with the software etc... I hope this 5MP camera is as good as the 4s - or better.

CZ Eddie

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I would take a 2MP high quality standalone camera over a typical 8MP camera phone anyday. So the 5MP camera in the GN is an unknown until we have more details about the camera assembly/lens. It could end up being the greatest camera phone ever made. Or it could suck.

The zero shutter lag is awesome. But it's almost useless without a quick auto-focus feature. Anyone have info about the auto-focus capabilities?

How about optical zoom?

And most important to me, how long does it take from turning on the camera before you're ready to take a flash picture? I think Apple said their new 4S only takes like 1.5 seconds?
My Infuse is probably more like 3+ seconds. Which is a lifetime when you're trying to take a chance picture.

seyhee0919

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I would take a 2MP high quality standalone camera over a typical 8MP camera phone anyday. So the 5MP camera in the GN is an unknown until we have more details about the camera assembly/lens. It could end up being the greatest camera phone ever made. Or it could suck.

The zero shutter lag is awesome. But it's almost useless without a quick auto-focus feature. Anyone have info about the auto-focus capabilities?

How about optical zoom?

And most important to me, how long does it take from turning on the camera before you're ready to take a flash picture? I think Apple said their new 4S only takes like 1.5 seconds?
My Infuse is probably more like 3+ seconds. Which is a lifetime when you're trying to take a chance picture.

I agree...what good is a no shutter lag feature if the picture you get out of it is complete crap? i'm also wondering which review site is truly being fair in their camera comparison shots....if any.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree...what good is a no shutter lag feature if the picture you get out of it is complete crap? i'm also wondering which review site is truly being fair in their camera comparison shots....if any.

The focus looked good. Also, to the post above, the camera app launched and was ready to take a picture in at least as short a time as the iPhone 4s. I didn't seen an optical zoom, and I doubt it has one, as thin phones like this and the iPhone just don't have room for an optical zoom.

And no one is doing objective photo tests yet, because no one has had a chance to spend that kind of time with the GN. You need to have a battery of tests that include charts with known resolution spacing, known colors (to check color balance), controlled external light, etc. We simply won't know the full extent of the camera until reviewers get some quality time with it.

johnyguy

Banned
Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
5MP can easily beat 8MP if the pixels are bigger. This is because the pixels in cell phone cameras are so small, they are beyond the limit of what even a perfect lens can resolve (the diffraction limit of light).

Notice how the $500 Nikon and Canon cameras are only about 10MP, while the $150 cameras have 14 or 16MP? That's because Nikon and Canon know that the 16MP picture will have no more detail than the 10MP, and the 10MP will have lower noise because the larger pixels collect more photons.

Now, if Samsung have gone and put in a 5MP sensor with the same size pixels as their 8MP sensors, then we've just been screwed.

What you saying about 16 MP sensor has no more detail than a 10 MP sensor is CRAP. I know I have a 12 MP canon camera and same picture taken with a 10 MP camera compare to a 16 MP camera is huge
, you can make bigger prints and a bigger sensor capture more details. Its so obvious! I don't care what people says about less MP is just as good as more MP. Its wrong! And google should have put a 8 MP sensor to its future nexus 'what they do instead they add all that extra features they showed at the event is to make up for the 5 MP cam. But it won't do it for me! Just check the pictures taken with HTC amaze and compare it to a smaller sensor you see more details , ok maybe the white balance is off with the amaze but the details are there.

palmor

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
What you saying about 16 MP sensor has no more detail than a 10 MP sensor is CRAP. I know I have a 12 MP canon camera and same picture taken with a 10 MP camera compare to a 16 MP camera is huge
, you can make bigger prints and a bigger sensor capture more details. Its so obvious! I don't care what people says about less MP is just as good as more MP. Its wrong! And google should have put a 8 MP sensor to its future nexus 'what they do instead they add all that extra features they showed at the event is to make up for the 5 MP cam. But it won't do it for me! Just check the pictures taken with HTC amaze and compare it to a smaller sensor you see more details , ok maybe the white balance is off with the amaze but the details are there.

You are correct in one thing.. a higher MP sensor will allow you to crop and/or print out larger photos with everything else being equal. There are how-ever drawbacks to higher density sensors.. one of those being the introduction of noise (especially at higher ISOs). When you cram more MP into the same size sensor noise starts to appear at lower ISOs unless you have newer sensor tech. It is a battle all camera manufactures have been fighting for a long time.

Then there is the whole "everything being equal". You can most certainly have a higher MP sensor that produces a lower quality photo then a lower MP sensor. Part of that quality is not even the sensor.. .but the quality of the glass they decided to put in front of it (the lens). You can have the best sensor in the world but put coke bottle glass in front and the photo will be garbage. I'd take a 5MP sensor with a high end lens any day over any other sensor and a low quality lens.

Bottom line is until someone gets there hands on it we really don't know anything and we may be very pleased with 5MP.

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site

It's not crap. It is the truth. Obviously you are not a photographer or interested in it at all.

My 10 MP Canon 40D will take much better pictures than a Canon PowerShot A3300 that has 16 MP. Similarly, an EOS-1D Mark IV
16 MP SLR will have a lot better image quality than a 21.1 Canon 5D MKII.

It depends on the quality and size of the sensor.

Before you say, but those cameras are SLR and the price differences are so great between them, just know that they apply all the knowledge about sensor technology to camera phones.

You really do not know what you are talking about.

Reactions: oxymoron and zoomis

palmor

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Similarly, an EOS-1D Mark IV
16 MP SLR will have a lot better image quality than a 21.1 Canon 5D MKII.

I think you'd have a lot of "discussion" about that claim ;). While the 1D IV has a new sensor it is still a 1.3x crop vs the full frame of the 5D so the actual pixel density is smaller on the 5D even though it has more pixels.

Anyway, this is way off topic and best left for dpreview or someplace like that (I shoot a 1D III myself).

The camera will only be as good as it's weakest point (sensor, lens, software etc)...

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I still have a G2 and a 10D. My 6.3mp 10D owns every higher mp point and shoot in my family. Why? Sensor and L lenses.

It's really that simple. Heck, even some or the best shots I've taken were with my 4mp G2. Old school baby.

I wish I still had time to spend with photography. It's rare when I do... and I'm a little rusty.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/116310980670757883365/albums/5644192229217211361?tab=Xq

*customized tapatalk signature*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnnetteConnor