5X is NOT Quick Charge 2.0 compatible, but has 'Fast Charge' technology - implications?

dom2114

May 17, 2010
Visit site
After speaking with a Google Store support rep, he was certain the 5X isn't Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 compatible, but it does use Fast Charge technology.

What does this mean for us when buying additional chargers?
Would any charger than outputs 3A work, or does it have to have special technology inside for the 5X to charge at full speed?
The support rep wasn't too sure on this front.

I'm wondering if my Anker 24W car charger and 2-port wall charger would work?

Thanks for any comments.

dom2114

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Its capable to be supported, but for whatever reason Google chose not to have it certified.
Ive been told that a QC 2.0 charger won't do anything to charge it any faster than a non-QC 2.0.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Its capable to be supported, but for whatever reason Google chose not to have it certified.
Ive been told that a QC 2.0 charger won't do anything to charge it any faster than a non-QC 2.0.

I'm interested to find out too - who told you that?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

dom2114

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Copied and pasted from my chat with Google store support:

"So far, I can confirm that that it definitely isn't Quick Charge 2.0, but it would charge at least as fast as the Nexus 6 does. This would be through a USB C charger block and the USB C-C cable that comes with it.
The input voltage range between the wall outlet and this charger is AC 100V–240V, and the charger’s output voltage is DC 5V, 3A"

So he's basically reading off the specs just like you did above...which doesn't mention Quick Charge 2.0 at all.

Also, not that this is definitive, but Qualcomm's website only lists the Nexus 6 as QC 2.0, not 5x/6p (AC forum won't let me post the link, but you can Google it).

YarisT8

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I've been wondering the samething about quick charge 2.0 on the new Nexus 5x/6p. I hope it does have it but I'm suspecting that it has a form of fast charging just not quick charge 2.0.

dom2114

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've been wondering the samething about quick charge 2.0 on the new Nexus 5x/6p. I hope it does have it but I'm suspecting that it has a form of fast charging just not quick charge 2.0.

Yeah, this is what I'm suspecting also.
I just spent an hr on the phone with Google this morning and long story short, they have no idea.
There was confusion at one point about USB 2.0 vs. Quick Charge 2.0, and eventually all the reps just seem to read the charging specs from the Store page out loud to me.

Its frustrating they can't just email someone that worked on the phone! I checked out a Reddit AMA with one of their engineers. Several people asked the same sort of question but it didnt get answered.

I also tried emailing Anker and am waiting to hear back, but I'd bet money that they have no idea.

I think I'm ultimately just going to have to order and test for myself.
I staying optimistic and hoping that so long as the charger can provide 3.0A (which my Anker devices can), then it should charge at full speed. Could easily be disappointed though.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm looking at this whole thing wrong but is there really a difference between the licensed or whatever quickcharge 2.0 and something that just charges fast? One is just saying, yes they paid to be officially certified as quickcharge 2.0?

dom2114

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm looking at this whole thing wrong but is there really a difference between the licensed or whatever quickcharge 2.0 and something that just charges fast? One is just saying, yes they paid to be officially certified as quickcharge 2.0?

What you say may well be true - I'm just trying to get someone to answer this question definitively.
The Google reps have given me the impression that because its not certified, QC2.0 chargers won't add any benefit. They've even made comments saying that so long as the charger specs are compatible (i.e. 5V 3A), that it should charge at full speed...but I get the strong feeling they're just guessing.

This shouldn't be such a difficult question to get answered.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What you say may well be true - I'm just trying to get someone to answer this question definitively.
The Google reps have given me the impression that because its not certified, QC2.0 chargers won't add any benefit. They've even made comments saying that so long as the charger specs are compatible (i.e. 5V 3A), that it should charge at full speed...but I get the strong feeling they're just guessing.

This shouldn't be such a difficult question to get answered.

It sounds like you got the answer from Google but aren't taking it as the answer. I mean none of us are going to know more than the source of the product.

dom2114

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like you got the answer from Google but aren't taking it as the answer. I mean none of us are going to know more than the source of the product.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion.
The departing words from the rep I was talking to this morning were "I'm sorry I wasn't able to answer your question...I really want to know the answer to this too now you've asked it".
Like I said, they were guessing as to what would/wouldn't be compatible. Give them a call yourself and see what answer you get.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how you come to that conclusion.
The departing words from the rep I was talking to this morning were "I'm sorry I wasn't able to answer your question...I really want to know the answer to this too now you've asked it".
Like I said, they were guessing as to what would/wouldn't be compatible. Give them a call yourself and see what answer you get.

I came to that conclusion from the very first setence you quoted.

"So far, I can confirm that that it definitely isn't Quick Charge 2.0, but it would charge at least as fast as the Nexus 6 does."

dom2114

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I came to that conclusion from the very first setence you quoted.

That doesn't answer whether a standard 5V 3A charger will charge it at full speed, or whether the charger needs specific technology (either similar to or exactly like QC2.0) to charge at full speed (see my original post)
There was more to my conversations with the reps than that one sentence.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That doesn't answer whether a standard 5V 3A charger will charge it at full speed, or whether the charger needs specific technology (either similar to or exactly like QC2.0) to charge at full speed (see my original post)
There was more to my conversations with the reps than that one sentence.

I would assume it should. Since there is nothing else going on (like QC which needs certification) then a 5V 3A charger should behave in the same way.

dom2114

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My QC 2.0 charger worked on my S6e without an issue and it is just "Fast Charging available" Not Qualcomm certified so I see no issue with this.

Thanks very much for this info. I didn't think about looking into currently available 'Fast Charge' devices.

Looking into this, I came across this article which cleared up a lot for me:
Quick, Rapid, Turbo, And Fast Charging Explained: What You Need To Know About Charging Your Smartphone

All the different marketing terms spun me in circles. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused in this thread.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

There is a difference.