7 days and this EVO LTE is going back!

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
On the contact photos I have the same issue. If I was unsync my facebook contacts then my photos show, or if I have a photo on my phone linked to the contact. As soon as I sync facebook contacts my Handcent photos are gone. This behavior does not occur in the stock massaging app.

So if I unsync Facebook with my contacts will the Facebook pictures still show up in the People app as well as GoSMS pro?

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
U honestly think it's mainly because of chrome sense is reloading? I have chrome and my phone hasn't gone to loading once, nor has it restarted.

It's restarting bc sense is so bloated it hogs system memory. Your answer is rooting and installing a custom Rom that isn't so huge it takes up 90% of usable memory. Then running chrome won't be an issue.

Sent from OG EVO LTE with Android Central Forums

That's your opinion. I've had it for two weeks. I have Chrome installed, but have only played with it a couple of times. Sense has never restarted on me. Not one time. And I am an enormous power user. I run a small business from this phone, so I use it constantly during the week. On the weekends I have been putting this thing through it's paces to check the battery performance. I've had days where I get a little less than 8 hours, and times where I get a day plus 5 hours. And through everything I do, not one Sense reboot. Although that may be due to the fact that on your device, Sense is apparently taking up 90% of your space. You have a different Sense 4.0 than I do.

There are obviously some issues with some people's devices, but that doesn't mean everyone has the same experience. And saying that the fix is to root your device is silly. I wanted this device. I like Sense. If I root it will be by choice, not out of necessity. I'm sure HTC will, as they always have, push out a maintenance update soon. They already have for the One X.

Reactions: kronosqq

jfstx1

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
One of the few notable differences is that the Galaxy S3, like its Galaxy Nexus sibling, supports only 5 MHz x 5 MHz LTE carriers, while the EVO 4G LTE can do both 5 MHz x 5 MHz and 10 MHz x 10 MHz LTE bandwidths. it should not matter for at least of couple of years.. so if you upgrade your phone alot then no biggy. Verizon has 10x10 now. meaning faster data.

Anthonicia

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
That's your opinion. I've had it for two weeks. I have Chrome installed, but have only played with it a couple of times. Sense has never restarted on me. Not one time. And I am an enormous power user. I run a small business from this phone, so I use it constantly during the week. On the weekends I have been putting this thing through it's paces to check the battery performance. I've had days where I get a little less than 8 hours, and times where I get a day plus 5 hours. And through everything I do, not one Sense reboot. Although that may be due to the fact that on your device, Sense is apparently taking up 90% of your space. You have a different Sense 4.0 than I do.

There are obviously some issues with some people's devices, but that doesn't mean everyone has the same experience. And saying that the fix is to root your device is silly. I wanted this device. I like Sense. If I root it will be by choice, not out of necessity. I'm sure HTC will, as they always have, push out a maintenance update soon. They already have for the One X.

Ok, go to settings-apps-running

How much RAM do u have free? Mine is around 80% used up but I don't have 200+ apps on mine.

If u cared to research rooting at all u would see that u can have your issues fixed and eat your sense cake too. Rooting is why Android is what it is. Linux is open sourced,.always has been.

Go buy an iPhone if u want functionality out of the box.

And I haven't had my phone restart once. Don't know what your referring too.

Reactions: bucsm

Joseh720

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I know you mentioned you didn't want to root your phone but trust me this is your best option to get everything you want and then some. I do agree some of this stuff should be working stock but unfortunately it does not so you have to mod it to get it! Rooting is very simple. There is a one click method that does it ALL for you. Rooting opens your phone up to possibilities you wouldn't believe.

is there a one click method to bring it back to stock rom

dre22era

May 25, 2012
Visit site
To everyone complaining about multitasking
if yall got what you wanted then yall would then be complaining about the battery life.
At the end of the day, this is still a "cell phone". if you want to multitask that bad then buy a tablet

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

How much RAM do u have free? Mine is around 80% used up but I don't have 200+ apps on mine.

If u cared to research rooting at all u would see that u can have your issues fixed and eat your sense cake too. Rooting is why Android is what it is. Linux is open sourced,.always has been.

Who are you? The Root Police? I don't have an issue with free RAM. And I don't have any issues that need fixing. Are you not actually reading posts?

I'm pretty sure a majority of us here are familiar with Linux and the entire Android experience, including the ability to root. I'm also 110% positive that I am not required to root. I have the option to, which means I also have the option to enjoy my device as stock if I so choose. I pay for a device, and HTC builds a device, that should be functional out of the box. Don't tell me to buy an iPhone. That whole statement makes you sound pretentious. If I wanted one, I would get it. If I wanted to root, I would.

And as far as you not knowing what I'm referring to in reference to restarts (Sense by the way, not the phone - that's what I originally said), I'm referring to this thread that we are both commenting in. You may not have noticed that a few people here are talking about Sense restarting a lot.

And for the record, I have 73 apps installed and I am running about 35% free RAM.

Last edited:

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

I saw you mention this before...

So....if another Android phone has the functionality he wants out the box.....he should still get an iPhone?

last time I checked...rooting wasnt a requirement for owning or using an Android phone. It does have its advantages. It is a solution.....but it shouldnt be root or get an iPhone...

How about try another Android phone that does what he wants? Maybe the GS3 will do it the way he wants? We have to get out the mindset of root or go home.

To everyone complaining about multitasking
if yall got what you wanted then yall would then be complaining about the battery life.
At the end of the day, this is still a "cell phone". if you want to multitask that bad then buy a tablet

Multi tasking and battery life hasnt really been a problem for the GS3 so far...that in battery life tests came out on top of the One X. If one phone does it ok and doesnt really have battery issues...it is what it is....

Last edited:

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
For all of the above that were asking about the Sense reloading issue, apart from the many, many, many threads and posts here in the Android Central LTE Forum that mention it (just do a search for "sense loading," "sense reloading," "sense resetting," "sense restarting," "sense crashing" "sense booting/re-booting," and "sense ate the last piece of cheesecake....") here is a brief history:

In general Sense has had "reloading upon return to home" troubles across platforms for about a year or so depending on the device and the update where it seems to have started:

http://androidforums.com/evo-shift-s...ing-issue.html

http://androidforums.com/htc-one-x/5...-crashing.html

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-touch-...htc-sense.html

Sprint Community: HTC Sense Issue Consolidation Thread

http://forum.xda-developers.com/arch...t-1139314.html

HTC Forums

HTC's "community" forum had a number of threads about it which pop up if you do a google search but seem to have been deleted:

http://community.htc.com/na/msgs/def...px?MessageID=9

Specifically with the EVO LTE:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=26735055

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...9-loading.html

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a

This is also a problem on the One X:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/arch...t-1601619.html

For me, I started having problems with it on my OG Evo a few months ago after having the thing for a year and a half with it not being a problem. Can't be certain, but would not surprise me if it started happening after a Dolphin Browser update. I note in some threads that going to Dolphin mini seemed to help some people and exiting out of Chrome seems to be one of the biggest triggers to the problem.

So what to take from all of this? Well, it is clearly a known problem that has been around for some time so don't expect an OTA to fix it anytime soon. It seems to stem from (surprise, surprise) how much of the RAM Sense takes up and how sense handles conflicts for scarce resources. Therefore, if you only use the stock browser, close out apps totally, keep your cache cleared and don't do any thing too demanding RAM-wise, you may never experience the issue.

If it is a problem, then the third-party launchers do seem to take care of it and, of course, there is rooting. The only reason I have not rooted yet is that I am a bit lazy and i want to make sure there is not some sort of huge OTA update that will cause the dev's to rework their ROM's and also to give time for people like Viper to get all the tweaks and mods in place.

Reactions: BigDinCA

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm feeling similar and agree with some of what your saying specially the sense reloads and the multitasking. For example I'm on a web page hit home and go back to it it reloads all over again. I can't stand that and its something I won't get use to. So what am I going to do?? Gonna take advantage of BB 30 day return policy and check out the s3 plain and simple. I've had all EVO's from launch including this one but like I stated above its problems are making me look elsewhere

Sense seems to have that reloading problem it's had for the past several versions. If that's your biggest problem, install GO Launcher EX and make it your default. It's extremely flexible and gives you many personalization options, and it's FREE. It's now become the choice for multitudes. You might also want to try GO SMS Pro; it's also FREE.

Last edited:

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I was on the same boat, debating whether to return my EVO LTE and wait for the GS3 to come out. My two main issues right now is the warm temperature screen and the infamous multi-tasking issue. I had the Sense reloading issue occur once so far. I'm hoping it doesn't get any worse.

My 14 days is already up, so I'm hoping HTC will release an update soon to address these issues. If not, then I'll wait and see if Sprint will pick up the rumored Galaxy Note II this October.

Don't expect HTC to even acknowledge Sense has a rebooting problem. I contacted them several times about this problem with my current phone. No written replies at all. I finally got to a service rep and the only option was for me to mail my phone to them to be "analyzed" and wait about a month for them to return it. I was polite and didn't actually say WTF! Instead, I installed GO Launcher EX (which is FREE) and made it my default. Never had a relaunching problem again...and it's much more customizable, too.

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I just figure that when my Evo4G first came out, it had bugs, but it's had 2 years of updates to stabilize all that. When I upgrade to the Evo LTE in a few weeks, I'll expect that this is rev 1.0 of the firmware and it'll have bugs but it'll get better with updates. The impatience of some people boggles my mind.

You are right, over time these all will be worked out. The issue is though, will they get out a proper update before many who bought this phone last week need to return in the grace period. At this moment i'm 75-25 to packing this POS device and say bye bye Sprint. I have a feeling that if an OTA doesn't get here by next Friday Sprint is gonna have a lot of refurbs on their hands.

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
is there a one click method to bring it back to stock rom

You can root your phone WITHOUT flashing a new rom ... There is a basic one click methhod to ROOT and yes there is basically a one click method to UNROOT but its the ROM you flash on the device thats going to change the feel of your device and that is not a one step process.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Come on everyone, "sense reloading" is just indicative of their multitasking miscues. What happens to your browser, android central, your game, twitter, etc., etc. if your are away from it too long? That's right - it reloads. You just don't see a message that says "browser reloading".

So, the only way HTC can fix the "sense reloading" issue is to fix the multitasking issue.

Reactions: Starfleet Captain

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Y are u complaining about having to root? Y did u even buy an android phone in the first place? It's based on linux which is what... Open Source software? Which means that developers will often make the best implementations and that will require u to root.

I've rooted every phone that can be rooted and never had an issue with Sprint, best buy, returns, trade-ins, nothing.

I guarantee the GS3 will have at least as many issues as the LTEVO. And guess what? If u don't root the GS3 you're gonna have to wait until Samsung updates it because u won't root. That means the LTEVO will have a fix before Samsung.

So, just go buy an iPhone already. Crying about silly Facebook pics. Facebook is a dieing trend as well as the iPhone. Android will always have a following because it allows u to decide what u want. Rooting is just a part of it all.

This rebooting problem with Sense is a carry-over from previous versions. HTC never fixed it, and never even acknowledged it. So don't wait on HTC to fix it. It's been a problem for about a year and a half...AND THEY STILL HAVEN'T FIXED IT OR EVEN ACKNOWLEDGED IT! As I stated in an earlier reply, the option I was given was to mail my phone to them for testing and wait about a month to get it back.

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, found this in a post dealing with the One X over in the HTC forums:

"take a phone call finish switch back to the Make a phone call finish switch back to the main screen and again it indicates loading for main screen and again it indicates loading for approx 10 seconds before the icons appear this is happening with all the apps.

Reply back from HTC Reply back from HTC

I understand that you are experiencing issues with your One X loading for approx 10 seconds before the home-screen appears.

We are currently aware of this issue, and we are working on an update to resolve this at this time. We hope to release this update soon. when this update is ready it will be sent directly when this update is ready it will be sent directly to the phone. Please install this update as soon as it comes through."

Reactions: Technosticrati

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, found this in a post dealing with the One X over in the HTC forums:

"take a phone call finish switch back to the Make a phone call finish switch back to the main screen and again it indicates loading for main screen and again it indicates loading for approx 10 seconds before the icons appear this is happening with all the apps.

Reply back from HTC Reply back from HTC

I understand that you are experiencing issues with your One X loading for approx 10 seconds before the home-screen appears.

We are currently aware of this issue, and we are working on an update to resolve this at this time. We hope to release this update soon. when this update is ready it will be sent directly when this update is ready it will be sent directly to the phone. Please install this update as soon as it comes through."

At least they said they were "aware" of the issue. It only took almost a year and a half to get that much out of them. In another year and a half, they may actually release an update to fix it. But don't hold your breath.

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Come on everyone, "sense reloading" is just indicative of their multitasking miscues. What happens to your browser, android central, your game, twitter, etc., etc. if your are away from it too long? That's right - it reloads. You just don't see a message that says "browser reloading".

So, the only way HTC can fix the "sense reloading" issue is to fix the multitasking issue.

This is entirely possible. I will have to experiment and see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201