A New BlackBerry Phone?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Which very much has a physical keyboard. y'know, real keys you can feel...that added tactility no glass can provide...
I also use all ten fingers to type, not just two thumbs. That's better than any smartphone if one knows how to touch type.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I also use all ten fingers to type, not just two thumbs. That's better than any smartphone if one knows how to touch type.
Yes, ten finger typing and two thumb typing are a different ball game, but the principle of physical keys being more accurate than a flat piece of glass still stands just as true on laptops, tableta, and yes, smartphones.

And if you admit that ten finger physical keyboards are better, by that logic you should like the upcoming Astro Slide by Planet Computers... Because that's gonna be a landscape slider with a full mini netbook style keyboard.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes, ten finger typing and two thumb typing are a different ball game, but the principle of physical keys being more accurate than a flat piece of glass still stands just as true on laptops, tableta, and yes, smartphones.

And if you admit that ten finger physical keyboards are better, by that logic you should like the upcoming Astro Slide by Planet Computers... Because that's gonna be a landscape slider with a full mini netbook style keyboard.
No, I don't like convertible form factor for laptops. The chiclet style keys that Dell and Asus use are my favourite design.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
We'll see if this device comes to fruition and how it does. I have a feeling it will end up in the same place the others have but have no grudge against it becoming popular. I'm a realist though and just don't see it happening.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This makes sense, as the Bold 9900's screen is a measly 2.8 inches (not even 3!!). That doesn't fly in 2020. And since the CEO of OnwardMobility specifically mentioned that this is meant to be someone's one and only device they're carrying around, it's safe to say that it won't be a "Bold 2021 edition".

That's good to know. That's definitely why I'm thinking of a slider. So then you'll still have the larger form factor but the keyboard isn't here when you need it. Best of both worlds.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Maybe we should be talking more about the company Onward Mobility. They are a small, new company in Texas and this will be their first venture from what I have read. I guess there are a couple people from TCL who are with them.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
We'll see if this device comes to fruition and how it does. I have a feeling it will end up in the same place the others have but have no grudge against it becoming popular. I'm a realist though and just don't see it happening.
It only needs to be popular enough for them to continue making phones with keyboards (since practically no one else is).
Berry's are never gonna make a spectacular and crushing comeback...that ship has long sailed.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
It only needs to be popular enough for them to continue making phones with keyboards (since practically no one else is).
Berry's are never gonna make a spectacular and crushing comeback...that ship has long sailed.
The previous attempts haven't been able to do that. That is the issue.

Rico4you

Q&A Team
Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
I think one the main attraction has to be and will be the "security" offer this new device offers. Neither Apple and or Samsung make any strong specific focus on security. Look at recent launch of Note20 Ultra how many times was "security" mentioned?
Now besides "security" some attractive wow feature that will draw the attention of both consumers and enterprise. This can related to an innovative PKB / form factor. Time will tell

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Maybe we should be talking more about the company Onward Mobility. They are a small, new company in Texas and this will be their first venture from what I have read. I guess there are a couple people from TCL who are with them.

Good point. They are the new kids on the block. I'm cautiously hopeful. I'm still interested in seeing what they come up with.

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
The only Blackberry I've ever owned...
18076bfb5d7cfeb301cfb495e6659c2b.jpg

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Oh man! I got it to boot up after all these years! But the screen is non responsive. The internal screen button must be shot.

Sorry for hijacking this thread...
4f59cf295a4332645de8787870c4db84.jpg

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I think one the main attraction has to be and will be the "security" offer this new device offers. Neither Apple and or Samsung make any strong specific focus on security. Look at recent launch of Note20 Ultra how many times was "security" mentioned?
Now besides "security" some attractive wow feature that will draw the attention of both consumers and enterprise. This can related to an innovative PKB / form factor. Time will tell
This has been the subject of previous attempts as well as Blackberry's entire existance. Security, in my estimation, is not as big an issue with mobile devices as some seem to think. I believe it's more a marketing ploy. The pkb has to, somehow, be the main attraction and enough people have to find it totally more useful than vkb's.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
The only Blackberry I've ever owned...
18076bfb5d7cfeb301cfb495e6659c2b.jpg
Funny that many think that the magical key to success for BB would be to ditch the keyboard...while this Storm, which is all-touch, was one of the biggest flops for the company, and it practically single handedly ruined their reputation with U.S. carriers.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I read that too. That needs to change for anyone to have a fighting chance.
Yes, BB ltd should not overestimate the marketing pull of their brand name.

That's why I thought it would make more sense if they loaded Android One on the new device to make it easier to push updates consistently.

It's not like anyone really values the suite of apps anyways, and you can subscribe to those from any Android.

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Funny that many think that the magical key to success for BB would be to ditch the keyboard...while this Storm, which is all-touch, was one of the biggest flops for the company, and it practically single handedly ruined their reputation with U.S. carriers.
The Storm is not the reason for RIM's downfall.
The decision to not adapt and overcome the changing smartphone industry that Apple and Android created is what lead to the end of Blackberry.
Too little, too late.
They decided that Apple and Android were not a threat to their professional enterprise. No way would anyone pay 500 plus for an iPhone they thought.

Well when they realized their mistake. They teamed up with Verizon to launch "The iPhone Killer".
Combine their panic and Verizon's eagerness to get it out quick to complete with the iPhone, the Storm arrived rushed, flawed and DOA. Within the first year over a million Storms were being returned because of all the problems.

Apple and Android gave the consumer what they were craving for and Blackberry sat on it's hands thinking they were untouchable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol