A question about Kernel leakage

drjohnson89

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I started using MIUI on my fascinate today and absolutely love it. I then flashed Glitch 11.1 High Leakage kernel to my phone. While I am very happy with the speed, I was wondering how I know if the leakage I chose is working to its fullest? Is there some sort of test I can do or some way to check if it's running optimally, or am I stuck just flashing the three throughout a week and seeing how they perform? Thanks again!

P.S.
I'm having issues with the Theme Manager crashing everytime I try and use it. Anyone with miui know how to fix this?

Jmac9

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Assumimg you are on 1.7.29 build? It has a few bugs and was tough for andmer to port over. I had FCs on a few items with that build and went back to .22. looking forward to tomorrow or tuesday when he can get the latest build done! The glitch kernel is great....but you do have to test all three to see what works best for your phone. The leakage levels set to work with whatever chip happened to be manufactured with your phone.

Reactions: drjohnson89

drjohnson89

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
That's what I was afraid of. I used the high leakage yesterday and was fairly happy but wanted better battery. I'm now running medium and I feel the battery is worse. Is it possible to have lower battery with a lower leakage? Is that the kind of thing to watch for when testing, or force closes etc as well? Thanks again!

Sent from my I500 using Tapatalk

Jmac9

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
That's what I was afraid of. I used the high leakage yesterday and was fairly happy but wanted better battery. I'm now running medium and I feel the battery is worse. Is it possible to have lower battery with a lower leakage? Is that the kind of thing to watch for when testing, or force closes etc as well? Thanks again!

You're looking at it wrong i believe. Each phone was produced with a certain chip (High, Med, Low voltage leak) and the kernel was developed to match up with that chip. I don't think there is any way to know what your phone has so we have to go trial and error. You won't necessarily get better battery with the low voltage kernel if your phone has the high voltage (which according to the dev is the most common) chip. Try the low voltage one if you'd like but it sounds like you're a high voltage phone, which is fine because thats what the high voltage leak kernel is developed for......

As far as the settings you mentioned in the other thread.....again it is what works best with your phone. Start with low OC settings and low UV settings and work your way up. Keep in mind the higher you go with OC the more battery drain you may incur so if you are wanting better battery over performance, stick with 1.0 - 1.2 gHz with some UV.

drjohnson89

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
You're looking at it wrong i believe. Each phone was produced with a certain chip (High, Med, Low voltage leak) and the kernel was developed to match up with that chip. I don't think there is any way to know what your phone has so we have to go trial and error. You won't necessarily get better battery with the low voltage kernel if your phone has the high voltage (which according to the dev is the most common) chip. Try the low voltage one if you'd like but it sounds like you're a high voltage phone, which is fine because thats what the high voltage leak kernel is developed for......

As far as the settings you mentioned in the other thread.....again it is what works best with your phone. Start with low OC settings and low UV settings and work your way up. Keep in mind the higher you go with OC the more battery drain you may incur so if you are wanting better battery over performance, stick with 1.0 - 1.2 gHz with some UV.
I tried the medium leakage on my phone last night, took it off the charger at 100%, and left it on my nightstand while I slept. After about seven idle hours it was at 73%. Does this seem normal? And if I start with low OC and UV settings, and just work my way up, how will I know a good "stopping point" ?

Jmac9

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I tried the medium leakage on my phone last night, took it off the charger at 100%, and left it on my nightstand while I slept. After about seven idle hours it was at 73%. Does this seem normal? And if I start with low OC and UV settings, and just work my way up, how will I know a good "stopping point" ?

I would say that is not normal for idle time. Just like with any flashings, it takes a few battery cycles to really get an idea of life. With all the great developments lately, its been tough to keep from flashing anything new daily or weekly! Be patient and try a few things out......you'll find a setting and a kernel that works for you. I used to get caught up in trying to get every second of more battery time, but now I just make sure I have a charger around if I need to get a boost.

I know its not the answer you want, but there are too many variables to tell you a good stopping point (each phone is different). What I have set on mine is OC to 1300. UV -25 from 1300 to 1000 and then -50 the rest of the way down. If you start to get lag or FCs, I'd say you pushed too far. Never set your changes to boot setting until you've run it for a day without issues.

drjohnson89

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I know, it's hard to resist flashing new things every other day lately with all these amazing updates haha. When I open Pimp my cpu, it shows numerous cpu spots, all in green, then others in grey. What do all of these mean exactly? And when I set my ov and uv, do I do it for all of the cpu spots? This is all totally new to me, so thanks for putting up with my noob questions!

Edit: ok so i figured it out a bit and did similar settings to what you have, except I set my max at 1200. What does uv mean exactly?

Last edited:

Jmac9

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I know, it's hard to resist flashing new things every other day lately with all these amazing updates haha. When I open Pimp my cpu, it shows numerous cpu spots, all in green, then others in grey. What do all of these mean exactly? And when I set my ov and uv, do I do it for all of the cpu spots? This is all totally new to me, so thanks for putting up with my noob questions!

Edit: ok so i figured it out a bit and did similar settings to what you have, except I set my max at 1200. What does uv mean exactly?
No noob questions....we were all there once. And i don't claim to be an expert by any means....believe me. Just alot of trial data so i can help steer! UV means undervolting which will help you save power at different voltages without losing performance. If you UV too much (i.e -200) your phone may go into sleep mode and you will have to pull battery....not a big issue with that as long as you don't save to boot setting. Thats why we say to start off low. Some phones can't go beyond -50 in some of the settings.

I don't use Pimp my CPU ( I use voltage control) so I'm not sure about your setting colors of grey and green. i can tell you to google I/O schedulers and you will see the difference between all the various ones listed. I use sio scheduler and the Glitch defaults to ondemand govenor, so i just leave it there. Can you tell how to undervolt at each level in Pimp my CPU?

Max at 1200 is perfect. i really don't seem any diffenrece between 1200 and 1300 at this point and may go back to 1200 myself.

By the way, the new MIUI build (1.8.5) is coming out tonight so you'll have to start over with all your kernel settings! :) Its supposed to have fixed quite a few of the .29 build bugs.

drjohnson89

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Ahhh man, another new start haha. Thanks for all the info! You've been a massive help, and I'll definitely ask if I run into more issues!

drjohnson89

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
No problem....glad to help.
So I flashed to the new miui release (probably one of the first as I was refreshing the dev's twitter haha), and love it so far. I immediately switched the kernel to the high leakage Glitch one I was running. One thing I've noticed the last few days, is that my phone's screen feels like it's literally around 90 degrees at times. Is it possible the high leakage isn't agreeing with my phone? Or would that be unrelated? On a sidenote, I've also set the uv setting to -75 almost all the way across the board, as I'm shooting for more battery. Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blaze_3ds