A quick guide to accessing a locked phone with a cracked screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transtang z28

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I have seen many many posts in the various sub forums here and on other sites with people having pass code protected phones with cracked screens and no backups of the precious pictures on the phone. I feel so bad and have always wanted to help.I have been meaning to write this for almost a year now so I could help people in these or similar situations to save their precious family pictures or other data. I guess I'm lazy. I hope I can still help someone with this. While this happened on a Galaxy S3 I believe it would work with most other android devices.

Please reference this post to anyone you think this can help. I would love to post it in every device forum since i don't think all people come to this sub forum but we can at least send links. I just want to help people out here.

My sister in law cracked the screen on her Galaxy S3 but the phone still worked. You could feel it vibrate when calls came in and you could even see it recognized when plugged in to a computer via usb. The problem was that she had a pin number unlock code on it so even if it was plugged into a computer you could not access the data on it without first unlocking it. Even trying to swap the SD card into another S3 didn't seem to work. I'm not sure but I'm guessing a pin unlock might pass security to the SD as well, not sure though. Either way she had pictures on there of her son when he was first born, very sentimental stuff, and she didn't have Google backup turned on for her photos. Fortunately AT&T sent her a replacement before she sent her old one back to them so she had two S3's available for me to do trial and error with. I believe this was key since I had two identical devices. If you try this with a different device, several factors change, including screen size, and now practicing button placement becomes very difficult.

You will want a few things here. A usb OTG cable. A usb mouse to plug into one end of that OTG cable. A standard usb cable you can plug into your computer and phone to transfer data. A piece of paper and a pen or pencil.
Your phone probably has the micro usb connection but older phones have mini usb, pay attention and make sure you have the correct cable to connect your phone to your computer. Most of us have a spare usb cable that can connect our phones to our computers, in fact most of our phone chargers have usb cables that disconnect from the actual wall adapter piece and you can use that to connect your phone to a computer. OTG cables can be found all over Amazon but the one I have specifically is made by Inoo Tech. I would put a link to it but it is listed as no longer available on Amazon. I have occasionally heard some OTG cables won't work on specific devices and ordering a different brand will, I can't really say if that is true or not here since mine worked.

The first thing I did was grab my usb OTG cable and usb mouse. Next I had my sister tell me the pin code she had on the old phone and I put that on her new S3. I then plugged the OTG cable and mouse into the new S3 and practiced using the mouse to click through the pin code tp unlock it. (The S3 picked up the OTG mouse right away) Once I was comfortable I grabbed a blank sheet of paper and a pen and practiced the code while using the paper as a sort of mouse pad. I drew a line underneath the bottom of the mouse towards the bottom of the paper to use as a "home base" reference point. Next I moved the mouse to the first number of her code and marked where I stopped on the paper according to a specific part of the mouse. I repeated for the other three digits of the four digit code. What this did is give me a visual layout of how to move the mouse when I try to do this blindly on the phone with a non functional screen. The other trick here is to establish a specific speed. You only have so much time to enter the code so even if you accurately get 3 of the four digits and are almost at the fourth if you take too long the lock screen will revert and you won't even know since you can't see anything. You also need to be aware that the speed at which you move the mouse affects the distance. If you move faster, it goes farther, if you move slower, it moves a shorter distance. At this point you need to stay on the functional phone practicing your speed and accuracy using the paper mouse pad with reference points and also watching how you are actually doing on the screen so you have a specific speed and pattern down. This will take some time to get a good rhythm.

Once I felt I was ready, I plugged the mouse into the broken phone and made sure the phone was on and gave it some time so that I knew it was active and in a locked state. I then pressed the physical unlock button so I knew the pin screen should technically be showing. I proceeded to move my mouse using the reference marks on the paper mouse pad for each digit in the passcode. Again this will be a trial and error process. If you think you messed up just press the lock button on the phone quickly so that you know you locked it, give it a moment and then press again to unlock and get to the pin screen and start over. A frustrating side issue is that if you can't tell if you have it locked or unlocked and sitting at the pin screen, you have to wait for the screen to timeout and lock itself. This is normally set to be one minute.

Another thing you will want to do is make sure you have your volume turned up. I am unsure about all phones but my sister in law's S3 makes a noise when you successfully unlock it. The sound will be super helpful to know you have actually unlocked it. If you don't get sound you are stuck with a very frustrating process of attempting to enter a code, then unplugging your OTG cable and quickly plugging it into a computer to see if the computer can see and access a now possibly unlocked device that you can access to copy photos from.

Once I had it unlocked and quickly switched out the usb OTG cable to the other computer to phone usb cable and connected it to a computer I went straight to the SD card to copy the DCIM folder with her pictures. As long as you can get in and start a transfer you will be ok, even if it locks the transfer will finish. You can also press the volume button to keep the screen active so you know it stays unlocked. Just keep an eye on a timer or something and remember that it usually locks after 60 seconds of no input.
I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Robocop-UK

Sez Bear

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Thank you so much for this post!

I have a Sony Xperia Z1 and like many, my screen self cracked yesterday, causing the touch screen to go crazy and unusable!

Thankfully though I can still see the screen so it was a bit easier than your experience!

Now I've managed to back up my phone so I can send it off for repair. You've made my day! :)

Thank you again!

krwudtke

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much. A colleagues LG G2 screen cracked and although the display was still there, most of the touch functions didn't work. An OTG cable with a mouse did wonders to allow settings to be changed and pictures recovered! Thank goodness I bought an OTG cable a while back.

Victor Paul1

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Question on HTC M8 with unresponsive screen. I can see the screen and will hook up a mouse. Is there an unlock button to emulate the swipe required to get the passcode number buttons to show or can the mouse do this swipe?Also if anyone knows... where are the old emails from non gmail accounts stored? I want them back when I get my new phone and have downloaded them already from Comcast server so they are not available . I like to have my "portable" version of previous emails for business.
THANKS

ptrper

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi folks,

So pretty much wasted a couple of hours trying to do the pin via the mouse, got fed up with that quick. Plugged a keyboard into the OTG cable and used the keypad and unlocked it.

Great work-through for this, however, just use a keyboard, its much easier!

This was done on a Samsung Galaxy S5.

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks,

So pretty much wasted a couple of hours trying to do the pin via the mouse, got fed up with that quick. Plugged a keyboard into the OTG cable and used the keypad and unlocked it.

Great work-through for this, however, just use a keyboard, its much easier!

This was done on a Samsung Galaxy S5.

Welcome to Android Central!

I just came in for a quick sweep and tidy up.

What you say sounds logical, thanks.

Say Hi in Android Central Community - Introductions. Or you can stay in here - want a coffee

Introductions - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Claude Speed

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
This is a good guide!

This post is made possible by USB On-The-Go :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

mast001

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Cuz of that lockscreen, if some1 trying open in oftenly n wrong code your device will locked permanently. And when forget the code and email we will cant it open it except reset/flashing your device!!! So i prefer using slide/normal lock screen :D

ColeyLee

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your sharing!
I've got a new android phone ZTE Blade S6 Plus yesterday. Hope your guide can help me in the future. And also hope you can help more people.:-*

ecoalson27

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
My phone was locked with a PIN and I used graph paper to map out the keypad (I had touch screen sounds enabled so I was able to determine where the screen was responding to my touches). My graph is attached - you may be able to map this on your phone based on the grid. If not, what I did was:

1. Turn off phone
2. Tape graph paper across screen making sure not to cover the speaker in the back.
3. Touched the screen in each square of the grid and marked where I heard a sound. I noticed that the keypad produced a sound on the first touch where other notifications, widgets, etc. required two touches.
4. Using the markings, I built out the keypad.
5. Restart phone, enter PIN and your phone should be unlocked.

Once unlocked, I took a screen shot of my phone because I saw I had notifications I wanted to check.

Not high tech, doesn't require buying USB mouse converter or other equipment.

Hope this helps!

20150607_110546.jpg

Roger28G

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Good guide.
Airdroid can help you connect to Android from computer remotely, to manage files, apps and SMS. ONLY IF YOU CAN SIGN IN. The connection is so unstable!

Yolande Mendes

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Thank You for this post...its so awesome...After a year I removed my s3 which had my Grandmothers memories and I am so glad that I managed to get all the Pics and Videos...thank you soooo much...May God Bless you for sharing this and yea I used the keyboard thingy to unlock and it worked better...Thanks a Million again :)

rg28170

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Great idea MAD54

What keyboard did you use? I have an OTG adapter connected to an HP keyboard but none of my phones recognize the keyboard. There's no power to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174