Actually I have the Galaxy Proclaim SCH-720C...problem with voicemail notification

Rockyhammock

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
If someone leaves me an voicemail after I have powered the phone off, the next time I power it up I get a regular LOUD telephone ringing going off. It continues to ring even as I access the voicemail, listening to the rules and enter my password. It also continues thru out the whole message and even after I disconnect from voicemail. I guess this is a notification of sorts, but it hinders listening to the voicemail message

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Nope, still doing the same thing. Ringing thru out the whole message.
I guess I will redo my Voicemail message with a new one. "Please send me a text message instead".

Maybe it is the messaging app itself? Have you trued a different one?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, this is a Straight Talk Phone. I am using the voicemail that came with it. Is it possible to use something else?

Worth a try. What do you have to lose, and what is the worst that can happen? (Ans: 1. Nothing, and 2. they won't work for whatever reason) :p.

I would suggest giving Google Voice a try.

Rockyhammock

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Worth a try. What do you have to lose, and what is the worst that can happen? (Ans: 1. Nothing, and 2. they won't work for whatever reason) :p.

I would suggest giving Google Voice a try.

Sounds good, will read up on it. Want to disable Voicemail from Straight Talk first, then I will try out Google Voice. Sent an email to Straight Talk to ask how to disable voice.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Sounds good, will read up on it. Want to disable Voicemail from Straight Talk first, then I will try out Google Voice. Sent an email to Straight Talk to ask how to disable voice.

What version of Android do you have?
Go to Settings>About device (or about phone)>and it should say which version of Android about halfway down.

Rockyhammock

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, due to the version of android, in order to freeze apps, you need to be rooted.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

LOL, well not even sure what that means. At any rate, was told by Straight Talk they could not disable the app, only reset it, but after 24 hours was still getting voicemail. Called again this morning and they tried several times to reset me, to no avail. Finally the gal stated she could just disable it. :confused:
Yesterday I was told they could not do this. But now the phone just keeps ringing and voicemail does not pick up. :D

So, will check out the Google Voice app and see if that functions for me.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
LOL, well not even sure what that means. At any rate, was told by Straight Talk they could not disable the app, only reset it, but after 24 hours was still getting voicemail. Called again this morning and they tried several times to reset me, to no avail. Finally the gal stated she could just disable it. :confused:
Yesterday I was told they could not do this. But now the phone just keeps ringing and voicemail does not pick up. :D

So, will check out the Google Voice app and see if that functions for me.

Lol...Ok, I will explain. In Android version 4.0 and up, some apps can be disabled (frozen), and as a separate step, have notifications be disabled as well. Your version is 2.3, so in order to freeze apps you need to gain root access and with the help of root only apps, you can do so. Root access is like System Administrator access on Windows PCs.

Straight Talk probably has a policy where they can freeze the app, but are not supposed to do so unless all other options are explored.

Rockyhammock

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
OK, got Google Voice on phone, left me a message from house phone, but so far nothing has shown up on my Samsung. How are you notified when getting a voicemail using Google Voice?
One of the issues I had with the Straight Talk Voicemail was that it did not show up for sometime after the voicemail was initially sent.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
OK, got Google Voice on phone, left me a message from house phone, but so far nothing has shown up on my Samsung. How are you notified when getting a voicemail using Google Voice?
One of the issues I had with the Straight Talk Voicemail was that it did not show up for sometime after the voicemail was initially sent.

I got a notification, and an email from Gmail account.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Rockyhammock

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I got a notification, and an email from Gmail account.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

I remember seeing the Gmail and being able to also add another email address, which I would like to do. So far I cannot get back to where I add the new email address. I am getting a notification now so I am atleast up and running.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I remember seeing the Gmail and being able to also add another email address, which I would like to do. So far I cannot get back to where I add the new email address. I am getting a notification now so I am atleast up and running.

I am not entirely sure Voice will sent to a different email exchange. I think the secondary emails are for other Android phones that you want to make sure don't miss the voicemail. I am probably wrong though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wongcheng